What's new

TV Tuner question (1 Viewer)

Joe Maiurro

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone. Need some help installing my HTPC tv tuner card. Here is the story.. So I had a old tv tuner card (WinTV-GO Plus) laying around. So I installed it into my computer system with XP operating system. I have a ATI 4550 video card installed. I have a HDMI from the 4550 video card to my receiver. For sound to work with my older tuner card, I had to hook up a f/f jack from my LINE OUT on my tuner card to my onboard audio LINE IN input. No matter what I did though I couldn't get any sound from my tuner. All other sounds in Windows worked though. So a little more messing around I noticed that none of my external audio inputs were working (mic,headphones,line-in). Windows XP wasn't even regonizing them in the volume setup in control panel. All the drivers were up to date. I know the tv tuner card was good because I used to use it back in the day with no problems. I just figured it was the version of XP that I was using causing the problems. With all the headaches with this problem already, I just said screw it I'am going to install Vista and see if that fixes the audio problem. So after about 2 hours of installing Vista & all the updates & drivers, Vista is finally ready. So I go into the control panel to see if my external audio inputs are regonized by Vista this time before I try the tuner. Of course, they are not! By this time I am already losing it. So before I throw my computer through my wall I decided to do I bit more search for some info. I finally come across a post on some forum about when you install a video card with HDMI audio output, the operating system sometimes automatically disables your onboard audio chip in your bios. So I enter my bios and just like the article said, the onboard audio was disabled! So I enable it and just like that, windows finally regonizes my external jacks (mic,headphones,Line In). Now I have sound with my tuner right? Nope! I go to install my tuner into my system (now running Vista) and of course, my old tv tuner card is not supported by Vista. So I haven't been able to test and see if the sound problem with the tuner is fixed, but I am pretty sure it is since I found & enabled the setting in my bios. Since I am not going to uninstall the never ending installation of Vista, I guess I am just going to buy a new TV tuner card that is capatable with Vista. So people having problems with there onboard audio and have a video card installed, make sure to check your bios settings for onboard audio. Save yourself some headaches I hope!
On to my main question.. Since I have to buy a new TV tuner, I was looking at buying the HAUPPAUGE WINTV-HVR-1600 PCI HDTV DUAL TUNER. Nothing special but it is alll I need for now. On most of the newer tv tuners cards I have noticed that they don't have a Line Out jack. Isn't the line out jack for the audio of the TV? With no line out, how will I get the sound?? Am I making any sense to anyone?? Thanks for any help!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
No line out needed. Nowadays, especially with a DTV (HD or SD) tuner, all it does is capture the MPEG-2 stream that is flying through the air and dump it on the hard disk. It can then read it right off "live" or play it back later, as a DVR. It's much simpler and more reliable since the video and audio is "all in there", just as if you're watching a DVD.

Even in the next few months before the DTV switch-over (depending on your area), newer cards will take the analog signal and encode it to MPEG-2 on-the-fly, so the result is the same.

It's only with older cards that had to split the video and audio so that worst case, you could watch live with a video overlay and listen through the sound card's line in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks