1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

TV Shows that are unavailable to DVD due to music clearance BS

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by DisneySwan1990, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

well, the holy grail just fell. this says loads about other shows with music rights issues.

with this show, the video owners and 90% of the music owners are gonna make some profit.

while a very small minority will be left making nothing.

the show itself would be a big seller even without the music to tons of people who have never seen it, and those in the future.

the music did not make this show. the content of the show made the show.

kevin and winnie were normal typical kids in normal typical surroundings. just like billions before them and billions after them. it was a goldmine show, full of the human equation.

but it is nice to preserve the tv show as it actually was, as much as possible.

for those who have seen it, and for an accurate history.

2. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

From my understanding, the problem with New York Undercover is the musical acts at the end of the show. In that case, why don't they release the show, but cut out the musical act? In Living Color did that and we got all 5 seasons. I used to watch New York Undercover every Thursday night, and since I hate hip hop, I always changed the channel at the end of the episode when the musical acts came on :D

3. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Supporting Actor

Frank
    Cold Case is never happening. The show was almost a musical show that happened to have a crime drama in it. Massive amounts of music. A clearance nightmare. It's a damn shame too. I'd love to have it. IMO it was far superior to the other glut of hit crime dramas from that time (CSI, Criminal Minds, Without A Trace, and any various and sundry versions of Law and Order).

4. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i enjoyed csi, criminal minds and without a trace.

never saw any law and order

Stan likes this.
  5. DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990 Stunt Coordinator

Sagalina Hazzan
    i'm hoping StarVista can release this, Ed, and WKRP to DVD in the near future, because if they were able to get Wonder Years and China Beach out of the coffin, I bet that they can get these shows out of the coffin as well.

6. DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990 Stunt Coordinator

Sagalina Hazzan
    And that's going to cause a lot of backlash and refunds of all the 90s hip-hop fans of the show if Universal Home Video cuts out the acts seen on the end of the program. I really loved this show when I was a toddler, and I hope StarVista releases this show to DVD in the near future, unedited.

7. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

Fox released all 5 seasons of In Living Color with the "musical acts" cut out. I didn't hear any complaints or backlash or anyone demanding refunds.

8. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

Fox released all 5 seasons of In Living Color with the "musical acts" cut out. I didn't hear any complaints or backlash or anyone demanding refunds.

9. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

if you read the negative reviews at amazon, you will find them

10. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Since the other thread was getting off topic I thought i would resurect this one to make a point.
    To which my reply was:
    So who again was 100% correct? :)

11. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Ouch. :D

Gary " I'd say this is 'game, set, match' now" O.

BobO'Link, Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this.
  12. cafink

cafink Producer

Hey, the fact that a cut version is coming out this year doesn't mean that an uncut version won't be released some day.

Ron1973 likes this.
  13. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

for gosh sakes, talk about nitpicking !!

wonder years is being released as a HIGH QUALITY release.

they went back to the original film, put all sorts of effort in it, and got all but a few stragglers

if that is someone's idea of a slam dunk, i would not want to go on the basketball court with it !!

14. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    You claimed victory and called many out (myself included) for being incorrect in the other thread, to then modify it to "you guys were HIGHLY incorrect. is that better ?"

I don't think a little clarification on what was actually stated previously is consdiered nitpicking. Actually, whose statement from back then was the more correct about the upcoming release, yours or mine? To follow up using basketaball terminology, I would say you just got called for intentional "flopping". :)

15. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

LOL - well, one thing is for sure - i am being forced to dribble all by myself !!

i havent found anyone to pass the ball to !!

but when i still score my 2 points, you will hear about it !!!!!

while we all have our serious thoughts, it is good that none of us are taking it too seriously.

smithbrad likes this.
  16. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    Dan Raven (NBC 1960-61) starring Skip Homeier as a L.A. County Sheriff's investigator was a song-heavy show which had big-name guest stars like Paul Anka, Gogi Grant, Bobby Darin, etc., lasted only 13 episodes and produced by Screen Gems (Sony). I 've seen an episode with Anka singing a swinging version of a Hank Williams song, and you know what? You'll never see that show because of clearance issues involving such songs.

Ron1973 likes this.
  17. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I refused to buy any of them.

Vahan_Nisanain likes this.
  18. Stan

Stan Cinematographer
    Supporter

Maybe I'm just being incredibly naive, but so much of this thread just seems to revolve around "greed".

We're talking about things people did years, even decades ago and now are demanding outrageous fees for their music to be used.Seems like it might be better to take the cash up front and maybe some follow-up royalties, rather than bicker over things and walk away with nothing.
    Feel free to comment, but also please educate me in the process.
    Thanks.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  19. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    Isn't this the the bull that's holding back official releases of 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6 and HAWAIIAN EYE?

20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    The short answer is "Yes." But hopefully WB will get the music cleared at some point down the line and we'll see releases of these shows.

Gary "at this point in the hobby I'd have to put 'music issues' at the top of the list for things I despise" O. :angry: