What's new

TV Shows 2-Pack Double Season Sets (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
flipper = paged DVD trays
double sided DVD's = double sided DVD's

that's how they're always referred to, not flippers.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Sorry, but that is inaccurate. The term flipper for double sided DVDs came about when dvds first began being released in the late 90's. All those early disks with the full screen version on one side and the widescreen version on the other. The paged DVD trays you refer to didn't come out until much much later.

While it can be argued which term is more reflected of the two concepts you are bringing up, you can't change history. Double sided DVDs will always be known as flippers by all those who have been using the term for over a decade.

Of the seven individuals that have responded in this thread you are the only one to refer to flippers as part of the case design, the other six have all agreed that a flipper is a double sided disk.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Flipper:

Flipper (anatomy), a limb on some animals

A speculator who engages in Flipping (buying and selling quickly)

A scuba diver's swimfin

A part of a pinball machine used to strike the ball

Another name for a pinball machine in Germany, France or Italy

Flipper, the name of the ATi-produced Graphics Processing Unit chip used in the Nintendo GameCube videogame console

Flipper (cricket), a type of delivery bowled by a wrist spin bowler

A hiker that skips a section of a long distance trail to hike later in the season

Flipper, also known as a malasada, a fried dough pastry popular on Cape Cod

Another name for the spatula cooking instrument

A slang term for removable partial dentures

Operation Flipper, a British World War II commando raid with the goal of assassinating Erwin Rommel

Another word for a television remote.

Larry the Cable Guy's term for a gay homosexual

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

And this supports your contention that flipper regarding DVDs stands for paged DVD trays instead of double sided disks how?

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I've DEFINITELY always heard the term "flipper" in reference to a double sided disc. You have to "flip" the disc to get to the other side is the way that I assumed it was being used. I've NEVER heard it to refer to the hinged, second tray in a dvd case. Then again, I think this has turned into an argument of semantics anyway...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

True enough, but the lack of a common understanding is what caused confusion in this thread, so it is often easier going forward if we use the same general terminology.

After a little research, it turns out "flipper" was also commonly used with laserdiscs, so it goes back further then the late 90's when DVDs were introduced.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

Completely agreed - that was actually the point I was trying to make. I was just referring to the fact that even after we've established what we're talking about and cleared up the misunderstanding, there was still one very determined holdout...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge

Yeah, that's I'm referring to. Universal and 20th Century Fox have been re-releasing a lot of their previously released shows to slimpacks. At $40 for all three sets, that really isn't a bad price.

I've been buying a lot of Classic TV shows, Outer Limits, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, etc. That Outer Limits pack is definitely on my list. These thinpacks are often designed to hold either one or two DVD's and they are held in place on the interior cover-sde, no flipper pages. The same packaging that is found with Walker Texas Ranger, Charmed, X-Files (new releases), JAG, NCIS ... those type of cases.

Oke, I was referring to Volume 1 and Volume 2. What I originally posted was a typo. Haven't you ever done that? :lol:
Volume 3 can be picked up at Best Buy for $19.99, still, not at all a bad price.
I was just at Target and they are offering several of the season 1 and 2 sets for $19.99 again. I have seasons 1 and 2 of I Dream of Jeannie, I was wondering if there is a season 3 and 4 pack? I would like to finish getting seasons 2-5, but Amazon's pricing of $30 a season is too much.

Perhaps Wal Mart or Best Buy are also still offering the sets?

Thanks!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

I was just at Target and they are offering several of the season 1 and 2 sets for $19.99 again. I have seasons 1 and 2 of I Dream of Jeannie, I was wondering if there is a season 3 and 4 pack? I would like to finish getting seasons 2-5, but Amazon's pricing of $30 a season is too much.

Perhaps Wal Mart or Best Buy are also still offering the sets?

Thanks!!
This is an ongoing thing at Target. The sets will rotate in and out but they always have some "special priced" 2-packs on the shelf. The one here expanded this a week or so ago to be twice the original size (about 30 different sets).

I've not seen IDOJ S3/S4 set. If one ever shows up I'll grab it though!

WM has *some* sets, but the last time I looked (a couple of weeks ago) it was a different grouping than at Target. I've only been in the local BB once (about a month ago) and was underwhelmed. Poor selection organized extremly badly... and this was during the Christmas season. I hate to think what it looks like normally.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I've only been in the local BB once (about a month ago) and was underwhelmed. Poor selection organized extremly badly... and this was during the Christmas season. I hate to think what it looks like normally.
Considering there's massively smaller numbers of customers and time to rebuild after people toss things where ever they want, I imagine it looks much better than it did before Christmas.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Just got back from Best Buy and they have 2-pack season sets on sale for $19.99 each. Each bundled package, you get S1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8. Plus, Best Buy's this weekend for Coupons and you can get 10% off if you have those coupons.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by kemcha

Just got back from Best Buy and they have 2-pack season sets on sale for $19.99 each. Each bundled package, you get S1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8. Plus, Best Buy's this weekend for Coupons and you can get 10% off if you have those coupons.
Do they have I Dream of Jeannie seasons 3 and 4 at Best Buy in the 2 pack sets?

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I didbn't see any but I'm thinking of buying the I Dream of Jeannie 2-pack. While I'm not particularly fond of colorizations of black and white produced television shows, I'm thinking of picking it up from Target. At that price, it's worth it, just to have them. I just wish they would have received the Bewitched colorizations at that price.

I didn't see any of these two packs at Best Buy. I think these two-pack sets are exclusive through Best Buy and Target. I have never seen these two-packs at Best Buy in the last few years that Walmart and Target have been selling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks