1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

TV show idea: How to sell it?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bill Catherall, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Well-Known Member

So I have a really good idea for a TV show. How do I sell it? Who do I talk to? What are my rights?

How likely am I, a nobody, to not only be heard but also have some kind of part in the show either as "talent" or some behind-the-scenes part like producer or creative consultant?

This is something I've been wanting to see on TV for a very long time now and I think the time is right. I also think this is something that could be very popular. What do I do from here?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

You need to write a treatment, and you need to find an agent. And go to a TON of pitch meetings. Contact the Writer's Guild of America (do a yahoo search). The Agent will tell you waht you need beyond that. Without an Agent you won't get anywhere

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

What Jeff wrote. In addition to the treatment, it would help to have a script.

Always be prepared for ‘very interesting, what else can you show me?

4. Bill Catherall

Thanks Jeff and Lew. Very helpful information.

And just in case anybody else has wondered about the same thing (see, I give and take :wink: ) I just found an interesting link at SoYouWanna.com. SoYouWanna Pitch a TV show?

(Your helpful tips helped with my search. I had never heard of a treatment before.)

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Well-Known Member

Or, if you have a little more funding (how much kind of depends on the show's subject matter), you could put together a pilot and shop it around. You'd still need an agent, though.

6. Bill Catherall

Alright. So I'm going to work on writing up the treatment and also write up a few episodes. Not necessarily scripts, but probably the highlights of a few episodes. Then I'm going to register my treatment with the WGA to legalize it.

But when finding an agent do I just send the treatment out to the agents or do I first write to them and see if they'd like to read it or what? Should I call around instead of write? What's the procedure for finding an agent?

Also, do agents get paid only if the show is made, or do they require some payment upfront? If I don't like the agent I'm working with can I switch agents, or is there some legally binding agreement?

7. Dan Rudolph

Any decent agent will only take a cut of what they sell. Anyone who wants money up front is a con-man.

8. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

It'll be almost as hard to find an agent as it would be to pitch a show without one. Most agents would probably not read anything that came to them unsolicited.

Sometimes, a "backdoor" can be used to get an agent. If your idea can be serialized as short fiction, it's much easier to get published in a serial magazine than most other places... they will often take unsolicited material direct from an author. This is especially true in certain genres, like scifi, fantasy, horror, and crime stories. Once you've been published, it's easier to get an agent.

-Scott

9. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Well-Known Member

Cant you just mail a copy of your scripts to youself and leave them sealed in the envelope with the postmark to prove that you had xx idea on yy date?

10. Bill Catherall

Tommy, that might cover the legal portion of it. But when you register the treatment with the WGA they provide you a number that you put on the document. Then when people who read your treatment see the number it not only tells them that you have taken the proper steps to protect yourself, but that you are professional and know how to play the game.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys. [​IMG]

11. John Thomas

John Thomas Well-Known Member

So, what's the idea? [​IMG]

12. Bill Catherall

John, I'll let you know after I have a signed contract and the episodes begin taping. [​IMG]

13. Scott_J

Scott_J Well-Known Member

If the idea is a show about nothing, you should know that that's been done before. [​IMG]

14. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Well-Known Member

Nathan

15. Jeff Kleist

It's impossible to make a show about nothing, unless it's a black screen for 30min, and then you could argue that it's a show about a black screen. I don't care what the Unfunny One's hype machine says. Seinfeld is a "show about the little annoyances in life"

16. Dan Rudolph

Jeff, I think I've seen that show on late night. I've also seen the spin-off with the color bars.

17. Jeff Kleist

I thought the color bars had a groovy theme song [​IMG]

18. John Thomas

John Thomas Well-Known Member

Y'know, under more scrutiny, I can see where Jeff's coming from. There's always a first time for everything. [​IMG]

19. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Well-Known Member

Let me guess, a guy gets into an accident with a man without insurance. To cover the costs the judge orders the uninsured man to act as the first mans butler!