What's new

TV on DVD/Blu Ray @ Big Lots: Anyone Confirm? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems rather dumb to actually pay money to hire a company to destroy them, rather than sell them for a few bucks each.

I'd also like to know the contract language. Did it actually specifically say they'd be destroyed, or did they just pay someone to haul them away assuming they'd be destroyed? It would seem pretty ballsy for a company to pull this if they didn't think the contract was flexible enough to allow it. It's pretty hard to hide what happened when all the stock shows up for sale in thousands of retail stores (if that's how it happened) and the news begins shooting through the Internet.

Nothing new at my Big Lots this week, so this batch may have now dried up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
blockbuster destroys dvds per a contract instead of selling them.

my guess is they actually are paid by the studio to do it so BBV doesn't gain any profit by selling them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What DVD's are they destroying? My Blockbuster sells a ton of pre-viewed DVD's.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well.... this is an odd twist. I thought we were getting all these great deals becuase DVD is on the way out. There have been no blurays in my BL store. At least we know why this has happened. As for me, I'll continue to take advantage of these deals until they remove them off the shelves.

And all those opened Flintstones were most likely returns that had problems of some sort.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That would be best for us. But I could take a skip or 2 on an episode if it didn't jump to the end of the episode. For $3 I could definitely take a simple hiccup. :)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, my local Big Lots store didn't get any new shipments, as far as boxed sets are concerned, this week. I hope this sin't the end of it because there are titles that have been reported by many of you that I still want to purchase.

Ron_B

Grip
I've got a few trades and wants if anyone has a match.

To trade I have:

Batman The Animated Series Volume Four
Top Cat
Flintstones Season 2 (sealed)
Space Ghost & Dino Boy
and can get a Josie and the Pussycats and Pebbles and Bamm Bamm (I'd have to check and see if they're still there)

I need:

Scooby Doo, Where Are You? Season 3
Scooby Doo and Dynomutt
Lois and Clark Season 4
Looney Tunes 2,3,4,5
Jonny Quest

Thanks.
Ron

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't have any luck finding any Hanna Barbera sets. :(

But for anyone that is interested in WWII, I bought about 15 DVD sets about WWII that were also in the bargain bin. So might be worth checking if anyone is into that kind of stuff.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My store has plenty of Popeyes, Tracy Takes On Season 1, a few Wacky Races, a few OPENED Flintstones 1 and 3.
I bought 2 Lois & Clark season 3s. Both had a floater that I didn't notice until I got home. I'll take them back this weekend if nobody wants them so I can get something else or money back.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I haven't found any opened sets. All of the sets that I have bought, Dukes of Hazzard, Flintstones, Top Cat, Lois and Clark, Popeye have all been sealed sets.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Plenty of "Tracey Takes On" sets at my Big Lots, along with Dukes, Dallas, OC, and West Wing. All the other mentioned titles have been quickly snapped up. Now seeing those 100 movie collections from MillCreek, such as "Chillers", "Musicals", "Historical", "Burn Rubber", etc for 9.00 I think. The TV show collections seem to be drying up.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen any recent shipments at any Big Lots? I'm hearing reports that maybe Warner Brothers is upset over these sets appearing at BL stores and that they may have sent out notices to BL distributors.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm hearing reports that Rite Aid stores also received some of these boxed sets as well. Check them out, guys.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Richard V

Plenty of "Tracey Takes On" sets at my Big Lots, along with Dukes, Dallas, OC, and West Wing. All the other mentioned titles have been quickly snapped up. Now seeing those 100 movie collections from MillCreek, such as "Chillers", "Musicals", "Historical", "Burn Rubber", etc for 9.00 I think. The TV show collections seem to be drying up.
All those Mill Creek sets are 50 movie sets except for "Hollywood Classics" which is an 80 movie set. I'm very dissapointed that the Sci-Fi 50 movie set is not among the selections.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Radioman970

Flintstones were the only opened ones that I saw. I think....?
That's what I've read, and that the opened seasons vary from store to store with some stores getting all sealed sets.

At the store here all the S3 sets were opened. I picked one out and did a visual check on all the disks in that set, swapping out disk 4 for one in another set as the one in the set I selected appeared to have some pit type "scratches" close to the hub. While the defect didn't look like it would cause problems I wasn't in the mood to find out. The checker was very nice about it and helped me look for a better D4 in other sets (several had similar "defects" on that disk).

why cry about it wb? if you sold the sets you had overstock on instead of destroying them you could make money.which you dont need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks