What's new

TV on DVD blog (1 Viewer)

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Decided to enter the world of blogging and TV on DVD reviews. If anyone is interested in this, check out the blog at: http://tvhistoryondvd.blogspot.com/. Be going through shows one episode at a time so this will take some time. Hope to find some readers and/or followers here.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Just curious to see what the thoughts are on the blog. I'm updating daily currently and would like some feedback, critiques and what not. Only way I can get better, right?

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Hi, i dropped by and found it interesting. Your post on the Ed Wynn show provided some valuable background but left me wanting more. I did like that you delved a bit into the Desi-Lucy significance; that so many of the programs from that period are either lost or in poor condition, i bet you've got a big task ahead.

I'm wondering if you have any plans to provide sections/segments on specific lineups (ie. Mondays, or 1948-49 Dumont etc), people's viewing habits, perhaps more on the adaptation of radio programs to tv. It would also be a plus if you could scan or swipe some pictures to go with your stories.

Are you familiar with http://www.tvobscurities.com/ ? It's a pretty neat website and source of info.

Anyways, I enjoyed it and plan on stopping by again.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Matt:

Great Blog! I’ve just added it to my favorites.

As a Blogger myself ([COLOR= #000080]http://tiahblog.blogspot.com/[/COLOR] End of gratuitous plug!), I initially thought you were going to do every episode of STUDIO ONE before moving on to another series. I was glad to see that was not the case.

Please accept this advice at your own discretion, but I find that the best thing to do is “skip around” or vary the contents – but essentially remain within your chosen subject matter.

For instance, mine is basically DVDs (reviews or just the general experience) and comic books – and occasionally my love of New York Baseball and Football comes thorough as well. I’ll rarely, if ever, post more than two consecutive times on a single topic.

This week, I did two on LOST IN SPACE, followed by a GREEN LANTERN comic – which should be followed by a “thematically-linked” POPEYE comic. The link between those comics is Football – and is timed to coincide with the 2010 NFL season.

But, if I were to do any more consecutive postings on LOST IN SPACE, or Football themed comic books, I’d fear becoming repetitive.

And that’s the idea (Again: Please take it or leave it.) that I’m trying to convey. The reader reaction is always better when varied, but on-topic.

Just for the record, prior to LOST IN SPACE, I have a review of the new ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE DVD, a review of STAR TREK ENTERPRISE Season Two, a post on a 2008 issue of UNCLE SCROOGE, and a review of the new BUGS BUNNY DVD.

I also have a review of the new DAFFY DUCK DVD – but it’s similar enough to the BUGS BUNNY DVD that I’m separating it by a few posts to avoid the repetition. I’ll probably put it up after the POPEYE post.

Once again, good luck with the Blog. I really like it so far!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I've done an update to my blog, trying to address a lot of the points and questions raised here, but I will try to touch on a few personally.

Lineups, scheduling and television "seasons" will be discussed as those start to begin to be more relevant. I'm not sure how essential it was when television still so experimental in the late 40s. As for how I will cover the shows, I'll only do long streaks on a show if I don't have anything else to talk about or a competing program to cover. That's going to happen, at least currently, with the first season of I Love Lucy, but as the library grows, is always subject to change. Variety IS the spice of life and I'll try to be cognitive of that.

Above all, please don't think I'm offended for any of the advice. I asked for it and I certainly welcome it and thank you for the interest you are showing. Now, all I ask is you keep reading, keep advising and I'll do my best to make it live up to expectations while maintaining my own personal "touch."

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Above all, please don't think I'm offended for any of the advice. I asked for it and I certainly welcome it and thank you for the interest you are showing. Now, all I ask is you keep reading, keep advising and I'll do my best to make it live up to expectations while maintaining my own personal "touch."

Once again, Matt… Great Blog, and I’ll visit regularly. The advice I offer comes from my own experience. Too many consecutive posts on the same subject results in a reaction of: “Oh, no! He’s doing THAT again?!” And visits may slow because of it.

Another suggestion would be to moderate comments. That way you stop the Blog Spammers that will post links to “who-knows-what” to your Blog.

They seem harmless, and even nonsensical (can even be in another language) but when you click on them and find (as I have) that you go to a site to which you might object having associated with your Blog, you’ll be glad you moderate comments.

Good luck with it. It’s a fine enterprise so far!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Once again, Matt… Great Blog, and I’ll visit regularly. The advice I offer comes from my own experience. Too many consecutive posts on the same subject results in a reaction of: “Oh, no! He’s doing THAT again?!” And visits may slow because of it.

Another suggestion would be to moderate comments. That way you stop the Blog Spammers that will post links to “who-knows-what” to your Blog.

They seem harmless, and even nonsensical (can even be in another language) but when you click on them and find (as I have) that you go to a site to which you might object having associated with your Blog, you’ll be glad you moderate comments.

Good luck with it. It’s a fine enterprise so far!

You think it's tough to be reading posts that cover the same show over and over? Try WATCHING episodes of the same show over and over. Hey, I love Lucy, but a full season of nothing but will have you running screaming to Amazon searching for something, anything, else to watch. The problem is two - cost: I just don't have a lot of money right now and availability: there just isn't a lot of stuff from the late 40s and early 50s besides the staples available. I'm working on it, though, I assure you.

So far, I have yet to have a single response to the blog itself, so I'll manage that bridge when I get to it.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Enjoyed reading through your very interesting blog, Matt (enjoyed Joe's as well)! I find the historical aspect a fresh approach, and will be following your blog's progress as you go on.

Just one suggestion, Matt...the font size is quite small. I'm not quite over-the-hill yet, but something a little more comfortable to read without eye strain would be most appreciated. Keep up the good work!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Jeff Flugel

Enjoyed reading through your very interesting blog, Matt (enjoyed Joe's as well)! I find the historical aspect a fresh approach, and will be following your blog's progress as you go on.

Just one suggestion, Matt...the font size is quite small. I'm not quite over-the-hill yet, but something a little more comfortable to read without eye strain would be most appreciated. Keep up the good work!

I'd be tinkering with the size since, for some odd reason, I prefer it small. But you raise a good point and I will size the font normally in future posts. Don't want anyone going blind trying to read my work, ya know!

Please keep the advice and suggestions coming.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
No doubt you've done a lot of research -- and one of the best places to find out 'what to do' is by scanning other blogs.

One blog that i really like is www.thrillingdaysofyesteryear.blogspot.com ... a couple of months ago he began focusing every Monday post on an episode of Mayberry RFD (one of those shows that ymmv;) and despite just mild interest in that program, i've begun to follow his blog for the weekly rundown. You'll see something someone else is doing and borrow it - the internet is pretty well share-and-share alike when it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks