What's new

TV made 2 snap/crackle noises and screen flickered (1 Viewer)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I just got a brand new Sony 61-HS30 TV 3 days ago.

This morning, when I turned it on, the were two very quick yet noticeable snap/crack type noises and the screen flickered twice in tandem with these noises.

Is this something I should be worried about? Any idea what could have happened?

The TV still seems to work fine. The only reason I am concerend is becasue about 2 years ago, I had a Sony 43" RPTV and one day, it suddenly made a snap/crackle noise, turned off, and never turned on again.

Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Snap, crackles, and pops are not normal TV sounds. Did you smell anything at all in conjunction with these sounds? It is possible that a small component like a capacitor got destroyed but since all a cap does is filter out unwanted frequencies (so to speak) it may not be noticeable to the picture. It is a concern.

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
I did not smell anything. I am going to run the set pretty heavily for the next few days and keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
OH, BTW

Is there anything I can do to eyeball the inside of the set to determine if one of these things blew up?

Where are they and what would I look for?

Thanks

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dan,

I've had a couple of rptvs that did this snap/pop/flicker occasionally, especially when new. In my case they both returned to perfectly normal operation immediately.

A technician told me that this was probably due to tiny particles of dust or whatever falling off the inside of the surface of the crt and dropping into the base of the electron guns, where the high voltage would pop 'em. He said it was common occasionally on brand new sets due to the outlawing of one of the better crt cleaning solutions used by mfgs because if environmental concerns.

He said it also can occur on old sets as the phosphors start to fall off, and that when it starts happening several times a night on an old set it's time to go set-shopping.

I had it on a 98 analog Sony, about once a week for the first three weeks, and on an 01 Hitachi widescreen which I only kept 3 weeks and exchanged for a larger Sony.

My 99 analog Hitachi never did it in 2 1/2 years, and my current 57" Sony widescreen has not done it in 19 months.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
A technician told me that this was probably due to tiny particles of dust or whatever falling off the inside of the surface of the crt and dropping into the base of the electron guns, where the high voltage would pop 'em.
YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR! (in my best Ed McMahon voice)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!

I was getting a little worried because I am having Gregg L. come out to ISF my set in 2 weeks.

I would hate to have him do it, then a major malfunction nullifies the calibration because of replacement parts.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I have heard that a few crackle/snap sounds when new are common on Sony's tube sets. I don't know about the projection sets. My 32HS500 made a crackle a little bit after I got it and it seems fine.

Mark

Steve Bak

Auditioning
Greetings Dan--

I had the same problem with my first 57XBR. My experience was not as simple as others here are suggesting. What happened to me is as follows:

Out of the box my set was having convergence issues that the FF did not take care of. I called the tech to come in and converge the set. The first thing he said to me after seeing the picture was that this was probably the worst he had seen with regards to poor convergence. He worked on the set for about an hour and was close to being done when all of a sudden POP!. The screen jumped like you described. We both sat there for about 5 seconds and he then says, "Did you see that?"

I confirmed that I did see/hear it, and he then started putting his things together like he was done. (I sat there with a blank look on my face). After keeping me in suspense for a few seconds, he speaks. "There is no sense in trying to adjust this anymore." One of the guns has a short. Look at the convergence. It's all out of alignment again. The blue CRT has to be replaced."

He was right. The convergence job he did was all whacked again. The funny thing is that I heard the set do this about 3 to 4 times over the two weeks I had it. I wasn't sure what to make of it. The shorting CRT now explained the convergence problem I was having. Lucky for me the popping sound happened when the tech was there to witness it. Thank God!

He proceeded to have a new CRT ordered, and came back a week later to install it. In the end I requested a new TV because the set just didn't seem right even after the CRT replacement.

I agree with Neil. Popping and snapping are not normal.

Steve

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Steve,

Your popping was accompanied by bad convergence. On the 2 sets I had that popped there was no difference in the picture after the popping.

Would you be open to considering that we may have had 2 different situations, one harmless and one not, and that in the case of the harmful pop there was a difference in picture quality afterwards?

As I have had a basically similar Sony for 19 months, and have had no convergence problems whatsoever, I tend to think your set was probably defective at the outset considering the tech couldn't even get decent manual convergence.

In other words, there are bad pops and not so bad pops, depends on what (if anything) else happens and how often they occur.

Steve Bak

Auditioning
Hi Steve,

Thanks for you input. I hope for Dan this is a minor glitch. We pay so much for these TVs, and it really sucks when these things happen. Arcing is not a good thing for electronic components in most any situation though. If his set continues to arc, this could lead to other problems. I am sure in that scenario, Dan will have it taken care of. I just hope if and when it would reach that point he will still be covered by warranty. Maybe it would be a good idea for Dan to put this issue on record with the dealer that sold him the TV. Just a thought.

Steve

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Steve,

I agree, he should get it on record and definitely be concerned if it continues to pop, especially if it starts happening with greater frequency.

My current Sony has never popped, nor has it ever flickered in 19 months. Maybe I just lucked out for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks