What's new

TV interference from fluorescent lights (1 Viewer)

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine recently had ceiling fluorescent lights installed in a room in his basement. He says that they cause interference on his TV in his living above them, both with the satellite box and watching DVDs. Any suggestions what he can do for this?

Thanks,

Jack

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on the type of ballast the lights use, electronic ones, probably what he has, do generate RF noise.

I really wouldn't want to watch TV with overhead lighting no matter what they are. You can go to a retail store and get that. Turn the light off, use a small table lamp or some indirect lighting (even compact fluorescent) to do the job.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I believe Jack means his friend watches his display in the living room while the flourescent light in the basement causes the interference from down below. I'd recommend simply turing off the flourescent light when the TV is in use.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Jack means his friend watches his display in the living room while the flourescent light in the basement causes the interference from down below.
That is correct, Jack. The lights are in the kichen area of a basement apartment. Don't think the person living there would be too happy to turn out the lights whenever my friend wants to watch TV :D

A filter for the lights sounds like the best option. I'm hoping we can use a portable radio to see if one particular fixture is bad. I've poked around on-line a little, but haven't found a place selling filters for fluorescent lights yet. Would Home Depot or an electrical supply store have them?

Thanks,

Jack

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if I understood...........use a AM portable radio. Tune to a empty area or a weak station. You won't miss hearing the 'buzz'!

I would still use a different fixture with a different ballast since that is waht is causing the problem. Just like computers, fluorescent fixtures are very noisy (thanks to the FCC not putting a tighter limit on the RF they generate!).

Mark.Morris

Auditioning
If Home Depot doesn't have the RFI filters they should sell a better quality ballast that has internal RFI filters. Don't skimp on price if you want to eliminate noise.

You can also check with a local electrical supply like Graybar. They should carry what you need.

Another option would be to buy a Power Conditioner for the TV. A good one will eliminate any noise coming in on the the power lines (which is what flourescent lights do). It will also provide extra lightning (surge) protection for your tv.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
I would still use a different fixture with a different ballast since that is waht is causing the problem. Just like computers, fluorescent fixtures are very noisy (thanks to the FCC not putting a tighter limit on the RF they generate!).
Yeah, I knew that fluorescents generate noise, but I was surprised that a new fixture should cause that much interference. I'll have to check what brand/kind of ballast it has.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We should be able to clear it up.

Jack

jdgreen23

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Where can I find a Power Conditioner for my TV's and are they expensive and where do I install them?

Ybbob

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Wanted to say 'Thanks' for a specific solution.

That helps. Need to know more but can contact Graybar and get options and pros and cons.

Appreciate your input as I just installed 2 Home Depot T-8 fixtures and lamps in garage and now the livingroom TV is barely watchable when lights are on. The existing T-12 fixtures never caused this problem.

New isn't always better, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks