What's new

TV clips edges of laptop video (1 Viewer)

rironin

Auditioning
Real Name
JM
My laptop has a Display Port out, which I recently recognized as something useful, and so I bought a Display Port to HDMI adapter. Using this, I connected my laptop to my Television. The TV was detected and I was able to set up an external monitor with 1920x1080 resolution.
It looked great, until I opened up a browser window and maximized it on my TV. That's when I noticed that the edges of the screen were clipped to a large degree, so much so that the tabs and the top of the window was completely off the screen, as well as most of the controls in a maximized Netflix or Youtube video. The left side is clipped so bad that I can't see the browser's back button, and the right side clips off the scroll bar. It's more than just a few pixels, is what I'm trying to say.
Does anyone know why this is happening? The laptop clearly seems to be sending a 1920x1080 video properly - is my television just robbing me of pixels and not displaying a full HD picture? That seems unlikely...
I've also tried running the signal through my sound system with the same result. Help!

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
Your tv is over scanning the image. This is pretty common. There are a few ways to fix it. First way which is easiest Is, while the browser window is open on your pc use your tv remote to navigate to settings menu. There should be a setup menu and within it there should be options to adjust H size, V size, H position, and V Position. If your tv has this feature you need only play with the settings until it fills out properly. If not you could try messing with "zoom setting in the tv, but that won't be as precise. Last option would be to look for software that allows you to set custom resolutions on your laptop, I believe alot of people use something called "Powerstrip". But you will really want to read up on the software because forcing the wrong resolution or timings can damage your tv. Hope this is helpful to you.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Now the correct answer:
first a question...what brand / model of display is this?
you need to find the aspect ratio button for the display. It is most likely in full mode or 16 x9 mode. THIS IS NOT CORRECT, you need to be in pixel perfect mode, just scan mode, or 1:1 pixel mode.
Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks