What's new

Turntables: New or Vintage? (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'm looking into the possibility of getting a turntable as I'm already re-doing pretty much my whole system, and my parents have a pretty sweet collection of 200 or so classic records. The question I have is, should I look into getting a new turntable, something like a Sony for about $100, or should I look on eBay for a vintage player, like a Marantz or B&O from the 70's or such? Besides obviously being a cooler looking piece, is there any benefit technologically-speaking to buying an older player? Thanks a bunch.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The $100 Sony bites. Don't get it. Denon makes a better one for ~$150. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a new MusicHall 2.1 for around ~$300. I don't know much about vintage turntables so can't help you there. I just wouldn't got for the Sony as they are low quality.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Thanks I'll stay clear of the Sony then, I was looking to spend in the area of $100 or so since I already have about $1,000 lined up for other purchases.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Scott: they look nice, but a bit out of my range, I'm looking to spend like ~100-150 max, this isn't going to be the center of my system, just something to listen to some old jazz every once in a while.

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
Matt- I'd check local pawn shops or even in the paper. I find that with a little bit of patience, most everything I'm looking for shows up eventually. A hundred bucks is a pretty decent chunk of dough for what you'll be using it for. I pick up Technics direct drive turntables around here for no more than fifteen bucks. And they sound just as good as my "real" table (an Onkyo Integra). If you find one cheap, you can then hold out for a better deal on a nicer model (if you find that you like playing records). Oh yeah, yard sales are a great place to look also, but always check the equipment and talk to who is selling it. Good luck!

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
an old dual, thorens, or AR would be an interesting addition to a modern system.

sorry its a bit fuzzy. lousy lighting and cheap camera.

its a dual 1245 i bought in the late '70s, with a home built base and cover.

ag.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Besides Pawnshops, check audio dealers for consignment deals, yardsales, and flea markets. I got my current TT, a 1983 Denon, for $35 at the flea market. They said it didn't work. I lifted the platter off which revealed the obvious reason, the drive belt was dried out and loose.

I'd consider a wide variety of brands, Dual, Thorens, Pioneer, Denon, Technics, Benjamin Miracord, and even some of the nicer Garrard tables. Avoid P-Mount cartridge tables! They usually have an S-shaped tonearm and a screw on head-shell (part that holds the cartridge). Look for a straight tonearm and a standard mount cartridige, that mounts on the bottom of the headshell.

Be patient! Don't settle for Sony's POS. Sony has made some good TT's in the past. Maybe consider them. I'm looking myself. I bought one of the top-of-the-line Shure cartridges that just got discontinued. I'm wanting a table for it. If I can't find somethin' decent in he next six months, I may break down and buy a new one of some sort? I'm more intrested in used.

Another idea, there's one used record store left in this town and he usually has some tables for sale. I might get some $$ for Christmas??? Yeah, I'll go by there about the end of the month. I want a record player for my upstairs system and I'll be patient, as should you, unless you're gonna throw down for a Thorens or Music Hall 2 or somethin' else good. Once you play your vinyls on a POS, they'll go down a notch, the groove will be dug. Don't do it, shop around, casually. There's a lotta record players out-there, sumwhar...?

...or save for a Music Hall 2 fur a whilst...? Good luck!:)

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old B&O Beogram 2000 from the mid 80's. It saw many hours of play until I bought my first cd player in the early 90's. It's still in perfect working condition and every piece is still the original, although it is seldom used anymore. I could never sell it since it was a gift from my wife. If You find a B&O You should consider it.

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this will help or not, but, have you tried craigslist.org (under electronics) for turntable listing? The main page defaults to san francisco, but, on the right, you can find a locale close to you to check for whats available. Happy hunting!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Philip: Unless there's something I'm missing, Technics site only lists about 4 or 5 different models, and they range from $500-$1000, way more than I want to spend.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You're missing something.

SL-BD20D
[url=http://images.jr.com/productimages/TECSLBD20D.PNG?CELL=175,175&QLT=67&CNT=1.1&FTR=3&COLORCALIBRATION=1.7&CVT=jpeg]http://images.jr.com/productimages/T...N=1.7&CVT=jpeg[/url]

Or a slight upgrade, probably worth the money!

SL-BD22
[url=http://images.jr.com/productimages/TECSLBD22K.PNG?CELL=175,175&QLT=67&CNT=1.1&FTR=3&COLORCALIBRATION=1.7&CVT=jpeg]http://images.jr.com/productimages/T...N=1.7&CVT=jpeg[/url]

I personally don't think you can do any better for under $200. If my Denon died tomorrow I'd consider one of these. (though I'm a big direct drive fan)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ted, I wouldn't buy the Audio Techinica. That's one low performance component looking at the spec's. It looks as if it drags vinyl down to cassette level. A lousy turntable for $50 or $100, what difference does the price make? I'd argue it's a bad deal for $9.95! Phil's suggestion of a middle ground table, the Technics...if one can find them???..., makes more sense to me than that AT. J & R used to stock alot of Techinics, now...???
Myself, I'd hold out for the right used deal before I'd hop on one of these new, but really compromised units. I think you're aiming much too low.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I just followed Phil's links to J & R. Those tables proably are OOP...? I don't favour P-mount or direct-drive, but they look better than AT's little thing-y that appears to do nothing well, IMO...

greg_t

Screenwriter
Save up for a good table like the music hall. The 2.1 isn't very much, but is a good entry level audiophile turntable.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I have a nice working Technics bd22 with TWO Shure HR-P15 carts. I will sell you the whole package for $100. You can't (and won't) find a better deal. The Shure P-mounts were the best p-mount carts made (not any longer made). I have been thinking of ebaying the package but haven't gotten around to it yet. I still have all the packageing. One of the carts has less the 20 hours of play time, the other has more but is still in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks