What's new

Turntable preamp question (1 Viewer)

Thira

Agent
Just added the HK 7200 to my home theater. Previously I was using the Yamaha DSP-A1 which had inputs for my turntable.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a preamp for my turntable?
Secondly, which input should I connect the turntable to my HK 7200?
Thank you

Scott_N

Second Unit
What is your price range? What kind of cartridge are you using MM or MC? Any of the analog inputs on your reciever should be okay and I would use the stereo direct mode if your receiver has this.

Thira

Agent
I have a magnetic cartridge. I would like to stay under $250 and prefer a quality piece.

Scott_N

Second Unit
The Creek OBH-8 is a nice phono preamp in that price range. It retails for $199 and there many Creek/Music Hall dealers.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

gregD

Second Unit
Phono pre's at all sortsa price points, including 'insane':

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I283424B7

The one not shown that I use is a Parasound PPH-100... a real overachiever at $120.

The Creeks are a good value.

If you can spend a little more, the Lehman Black Cube is regarded as a world-beater at $470... have not heard it myself, however.

Happy hunting.

Scott_N

Second Unit
The Black Cube is a very good preamp for the money and Stereophile rated it Class B. One just sold on Audiogon for $300 so a used one might be in your price range. It has much better bass and detail than the Creek and compares with preamps twice it's price.

NickScott

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the NAD PP-2, you can use a MM and MC and I paid $150 can. for it. It sounds great and its a great price.
It was rated the best phono preamp last year for the price in the UK. And I agree with that.

Plus its really small, maybe 5 X 3 X 1.5", so you can hide it anywheres!

Thira

Agent
Thanks so much for the direction in the worlk of phono preamps. I considered the Creek OBH-8 and Parasound PPH-100, and decided to purchase the Creek. NickScott, I might have been a bit too impatient as I went ahead and ordered the Creek. But the NAD PP-2 sounds very interesting and maybe for the price would have been my choice. The Black Cube was more than I wished to spend. Others in the thousand of dollar price range were a bit too outrageous for me. For the price of some, I could be listening to the waves of the Agean Sea on a Greek Island with some beautiful woman next to me. Just a thought. ANd another perspective!
Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks