What's new

Turning off ceiling fan without string or switch? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, the string to our living room ceiling fan broke last night and now the fan is continuously running.

Unfortunately, this fan is controlled only by a string and does not have its own switch on the wall by which to turn it off. I've looked briefly in our circuit breaker box and did not see a separate circuit for the fan, I've also checked the actual fan to see if there may be a switch on there to turn it off but no luck.

We do not need this fan on all the time, it is simply going to waste energy. Is there anyway that can shut this thing off until we fix it or replace it?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It should be on the same circuit as its light (and the rest of the room, likely).

Any chance this fan has a remote control, like many recent fans? But with the fan off and unpowered, you can hopefully replace the pull chain / string.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Does the fan have a light controlled with a light switch? If you are handy with electrical wiring, you could connect the fan power wire with the light power wire and they will both be controlled by the light switch. If there is no light and/or you are not handy, enjoy the breeze.
I leave ceiling fans running all the time at the house. If they are on low, they actually help even out the house temperature and work with your heat and AC. I don't think they use that much energy.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
You'll just have to flip breakers until you find the one that controls the fan.
Where exactly did the string break?
Typically the fans have a pull chain switch; high, medium, low, off.
If you end up having to replace that switch (Home Depot or Lowes) you will certainly want to assure that the juice is off to that ceiling fixture.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Throw your breaker (off.)
Unscrew the bottom cap (housing) where the pull chain exits.
If your lucky a bit will remain inside the housing.
Pull it with tweasers to cycle the fan permantely 'off' till it can be repaired or replaced.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks for the help. I was able to track down the circuit breaker for the fan and shut it off as a tem porary solution until we either fix it or replace it. Apparently the circuit was there the entire time except that it was crudely written in poor handwriting. How hard would this thing be to fix?

mylan

Screenwriter

The pull chain? Not hard at all, first try to pull what chain you have out of the hole with a pair of pliers or tweezers (with the breaker off) and buy a longer chain and re-attach. It is the same chain used for dog tags with the beads. If it is behind the housing, remove the screws to get to it. If there is a light kit attached you may need a second person to hold that up because the light will weigh down the housing.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Another alternative would be turning it into a remote controlled fan. This would require installing a control module inside the fan and some basic rewiring. Lowes carries a kit for about $50. I believe they are brand specific. I don't think you need to install the wall mount control to use the remote. Just add in the www dot

lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=103189-1811-RCD103L&lpage=none

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If the remaining length of chain on the existing switch is too short to attach anything to, the switch itself is replaceable. You can get them at Lowe's and Home Depot. They come with instructions and aren't difficult to replace.

Just be sure the breaker is off when you do it.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sorry, Henry. I thought that was me who posted that while I was caught in a time warp for a whole month one day last week.

In a parallel universe.

Or something like that.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I see the problem has been solved, but for future reference...

According to the Mythbusters episode featuring the Ceiling Fan of Death, it should be perfectly safe to stick your head between the blades and let that stop their movement. :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Plan B: if you rotate your house at the same RPM as the fan, it would be either be equivalent to shutting the fan off OR would make the ceiling fan spin faster (Theory of relativity and all that fun science stuff).

Did you try silica?

Jay

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
You can turn it off with some elbow grease and a baseball bat. Turning it back on might prove problematic....

jams002

Auditioning
Real Name
jam sy
Turning off ceiling fan without string or switch this cool topic thanks for the info
www .ceilingfantasia.com

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I just replaced the string switch in one of my ceiling fans a few months ago, and it was a very easy fix. The switch replacement kit cost a couple bucks. As long as you have that circuit turned off you have nothing to fear. Just pay attention to how the existing string switch is hooked up, and then hook up the new one the same way.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Funny, this "old post" was dug up by a first time poster that just happens to have a link to a ceiling fan website. :rolleyes

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

funny you mention ceiling fan death. I have a friend who recently moved to South Korea, and she's been warned countless times to turn her fans off at night so as not to suffer from fan death in her sleep. First time she heard it, she thought it was a joke, but she now realizes they are quite serious. funny ol' world we live in.

I know from experience that reeling out yards of VHS tape and throwing it at a ceiling fan will jam it up and make it stop, as opposed to being "hilarious" while drunk with friends. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread