What's new

Tumult has arrived- finally (1 Viewer)

Richard_M

Second Unit
I am just so excited, I know every one is getting sick of these posts, but I have had to wait nearly 5 months for my new baby, and it is finally here :D

The reason I wanted to post a little snippet about my subs is I have been talking about these since I ordered them on the 4th February, and I think people did not believe they were going to happen.

The one on the left is the Tumult, and the one on the right is a Focal.

If anyone is interested in reading a review of the Focal Hometheaterhifi, did a review on the smaller version with the smaller amp, mine is the 15" with the 300w Redgum Amp.

Focal Review

These units have only been put here for about 1 hour; all I have done is calibrated them and now just playing some bass to break the Tumult in a little.

PS... Don’t tell the boys at SVS I stole their colour scheme, I just love the look of the B4+ on their web site.

I will give you more details tomorrow...

Sorry if you find this post is just another stupid rant :)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Richard, Those subwoofers are nothing short of beautiful. Great job !

And we are used to the down under rants... keep em coming!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
First thing I thought of (if you had to get it from the states), was what it must have cost to get that Tumult Down Under.....WEW

Your wood working skills (I'm assuming you built your own cabinets), are just drop dead PURDY!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Also very curious as to encloser volume, tuning, and power,, serious air moving monster you finally received!

Very "very" nice....
Geoff

Richard_M

Second Unit
Craig, Michael, & Geoff

Thank you for the kind words.

I would also like to thank Brian Bunge from Rutledge Audio Design, for giving me some great help when I was deciding on what sub to get. I had PM'd several SVS owners here about their subs and everyone responded and was very helpful, I did the same to several Tumult owners, but only Brian responded, so I thank you very much Brian!

Geoff, No I did not build the cabinets, we have a distributor here in oz for Adire, and they also made and assembled the subs.

Each box is 210L; the Focal is 170L & the Tumult 140L

The Tumult is being powered by the Hypex HS500 amp from Adire, which pumps 750W into 4ohms, they told me if I wanted to upgrade I could get the HS1000 which has the same mountings and can pump 1400w into 4ohms. At this stage and the HS500 should be more than enough.

So far I am very impressed with the Tumult, I have just put both subs in a location, so I could take some photos and also do some basic comparisons, after the Tumult gets some time up.

The thing I noticed these boxes don't appear to be specific for their placement, i.e. there is no boom, just great bass, mind you this is not their final resting place, at over 100kg's each I don't fancy moving them too often.

Dick

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I'll bet he gets terrible port chuffing...those ports look mighty small for the driver being used.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I'll bet he gets terrible port chuffing...those ports look mighty small for the driver being used.

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome mate well done they finally arrived:emoji_thumbsup: The finish looks like a work of art. I guess the wife and kids have taken an extended vacation while you proceed with your testing:D It's great to know that you have them now and both my brother and I are looking forward to hearing them.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome mate well done they finally arrived:emoji_thumbsup: The finish looks like a work of art. I guess the wife and kids have taken an extended vacation while you proceed with your testing:D It's great to know that you have them now and both my brother and I are looking forward to hearing them.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Richard_M

Second Unit
Simon...

I am being very well behaved :)

We will have to make a time for you both to come down and sample the toys.

Rory & Michael

They are 4" ports flared both ends, I guess the angle I took the photos on is a little deceiving.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Simon...

I am being very well behaved :)

We will have to make a time for you both to come down and sample the toys.

Rory & Michael

They are 4" ports flared both ends, I guess the angle I took the photos on is a little deceiving.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Richard,

Those look great! I'm glad that I was of some help to you. Let us know what you think of the Tumult once you've run it through it's paces.

Rory,

With the amp that's being used on the Tumult there will be no port chuffing issues. Hell, even with 1400W you'd only get port noise down around 20-25Hz and at that point you'd probably be pushing 120dB in room.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Richard,

Those look great! I'm glad that I was of some help to you. Let us know what you think of the Tumult once you've run it through it's paces.

Rory,

With the amp that's being used on the Tumult there will be no port chuffing issues. Hell, even with 1400W you'd only get port noise down around 20-25Hz and at that point you'd probably be pushing 120dB in room.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks Brian for the information.

I measured the ports, they are 106mm ID or 4 5/16" ID, whether that makes any difference or not I am not sure.

The Tumult enclosure tuned to around 18Hz, I was told the exact freq, but can't remember. So far even on very bass intensive sound tracks the driver doesn’t move much. I kind of figured because it has such a large Xmax it would be flapping around. Then again I suppose most of the bass is short & sharp.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Thanks Brian for the information.

I measured the ports, they are 106mm ID or 4 5/16" ID, whether that makes any difference or not I am not sure.

The Tumult enclosure tuned to around 18Hz, I was told the exact freq, but can't remember. So far even on very bass intensive sound tracks the driver doesn’t move much. I kind of figured because it has such a large Xmax it would be flapping around. Then again I suppose most of the bass is short & sharp.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Sharp bass? That's a new term for me. I'll leave it up to Richard and Craig to debate that one! ;)

As far as the driver flapping around, 720W barely gets the driver half way to Xmax. One thing's for sure, you'll have super low distortion without the need for any electronic assistance. IIRC, Adire states that even at 28mm excursion distortion is

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks