What's new

Tuesdays are about to become exciting again... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
that was the feeling i got as i walked out of BB yesterday after finally having seen a demo of the Tosh player.
it was playing on only a small plasma (probably 42" or less), but i felt i could easily assess the quality of the picture- and it was across the board excellant.
just looking at the text on the green "this motion picture has been approved..." screen tells you this is a substantial improvment. the letters are crisply defined- no mpeg artifacting or mottling or even ringing that i could see- and these qualities carried thru on the demo clips and trailers.
colors were excellant (reds especially) and there was no breakdown or pixilation that i saw- not once. a HUGE difference compared to the first DVD demos i saw 10 years ago. and the player felt like a substantial piece of hardware- and yet no hang-ups or freezes no matter how much skipped around the disc.

i had planned to wait until Oct. before buying a player as the trickle of movies i really want is going to be a bit slow to start, but if there had been one to pick up yesterday i would have. the salesboy said they had sold their allocation out before Tuesday and he doesn't know when they will get any more in.

but as soon as they do, i'm in- and i'm damned excited about it.
now i'm already looking ahead to the slow steady trickle of content.
it will probably be frustrating for a couple years- and i'm afraid that the more HD discs i accumulate, the harder it will be to go back and appreciate my sizable SD collection. but for a film buff, HD media is nirvana.

$500 for a player, and reference quality copies of films for under $25...wow.
i was paying $35 for dvds early on (and considering that a bargin coming from LDs)

wow. just simply, wow.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Paul,
I know what you mean. 10 years ago I was so desperate for decent quality that I collected 35mm! Now those days are LONG gone with the release of DVD in '97, and with HD-DVD/BR, consumers are finally getting what they wanted:

Peace and quiet when watching a movie :D

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Are you sure you were watching an HD-DVD demo disc? When i went to check it out, Best Buy had a SD-DVD disc in the player with movie previews. I asked if they had a high def disc, and they didn't have one to play in it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I watched The Last Samuari last night and the PQ this HD-DVD throws out is absolutely awesome. I cannot wait for Tuesday, Doom and Apollo 13.

Paul if you want one sooner. Walmart has the HD-D1 in stock. It's looks to be exactly like the A1 just black instead of silver, square buttons instead of round.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4790608

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
I know what you mean. I watched SERENITY last night. The movie was just ok, but I couldn't take my eyes off of it because of the clarity. I've never seen a television picture look like this before. And the sound was amazing. The WB discs suffer from being recorded too low, but SERENITY seems to be louder than SD DVD's, with much more clarity and detail. And I'm only running the audio through the optical connection.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and I'm looking forward to watching PHANTOM sometime this weekend,one of my favorite movies of '04. More, please! :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Oh Larry, you're in for a treat. Phantom is also one of my very favorite films and the HD-DVD is stunning, I thought it better then Serenity, do in a big part to the cinematography, costumes and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks