What's new

Trying Firefox -- uncertain what I think (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

I just use the middle mouse button to close tabs in FF. Can't remember if I configured Mouse Gestures that way or if it was by default.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

Mmmmm...Macintosh...:)

I've almost convinced my soon-to-be wife to let me get a G5 next. :emoji_thumbsup:

I've been using Mozilla for what seems like years now. I can't imagine ever going back to IE.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
hehe not even a mac will totally protect you anymore,there are new viruses etc for them all the time now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have been using Firefox for over a month.

Love it! Can't see how I lived without it for
so long.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I run firefox and wont go back to IE. Yes, a few pages won't work sometimes but thats a hell of a lot better than all the crap you pick up using IE. :emoji_thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So far it's ok. I don't like its download and bookmark system. I prefered how IE handled bookmarks: I press Control-D and it's tossed into the bottom of my list. I can then later move it where I want it. Firefox brings up a dialog requiring me to organize it right there. It's an annoyance, interrupting my flow.

I also don't care for its download manager. I download all useful program files to a common directory, which I later archive. Firefox treats this as a temporary directory, and lists all files in there everyone time I download something new. It also downloads all media files, which previously were streamed or dumped into the temp directory, forcing me to manually delete them so they aren't jumbled with the files I care about.

Finally, various little features at HTF don't work as well. The preview pop-ups over links don't handle paragraphs properly. And the forum-jump menu doesn't center at the current section as IE does, instead showing the entire list starting near the bottom.

Tabs - I haven't figured those out yet.

Security is the only area I've found where Firefox clearly excels IE.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Dave,

The Download Manager can be annoying feature. Like you, I am used to always downloading in the same location. You can go into Tools>Options>Downloads and play with the settings. I have it set up to always download in the same location.

Once you figure out the tabs, I'm guessing you'll like it more. If you are using a desktop PC, and have a scroll wheel on your mouse, try middle clicking a link here on the HTF. I think the whole tab browsing thing was invented with internet forums in mind. I really find navigating around forums and various news sites a whole lot easier.

PatH

Second Unit
For Will B:

I changed Firefox to open everything in a tabbed window but when I went into JavaScript Console to prevent window resizing, I had nothing but a blank window. Is something wrong with my copy of Firefox?

PatH

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Now that I've been using Firefox for about 6 months now, I thought I'd update my thoughts on this software.

Generally, I like it. Tabs are great. I've gotten used to tabs and enjoy their convenience. I also like that Firefox is generally considered safer than IE, in terms being a conduit for spyware, viruses, etc. And thankfully it's not an amnesiac like IE when it comes to website bookmark icons.

Several flaws do continue to annoy, though they are quibbles, not killers. First, the "stop" button is inactive after the page loads. I prefer IE's behavior, where the stop button can be used to stop all javascripts and animated gifs. Second, not all websites work with Firefox. I have to use IE to pay bills at Verizon's website. Likewise, for the Java-based deck designer at DIYonline.com and Lowes.com. Third, HTF thread previews don't work properly in Firefox. Finally, the download manager is cute idea that doesn't scale. I want to clear out its list, to remove one-time install "keepers" from its list.

I also wish Firefox had a better update system. Oddly, the help menu has no "update" button nor even a simple link to the main website. I wish it had a one-button check for updates process, since it is updated frequently.

Regardless, I expect I'll continue using Firefox until IE 7 is available. Then I'll have to see what that offers.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Dave,

Do you realize that Firefox tells you when it needs to be updated? An upright arrow will appear in the top right corner of the screen when there are updates, both for firefox and your extensions. Just press it and Firefox downloads and installs them.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else have issues with FF 1.0.3 opening very slowly? Version 1.0.2 opened within 1 or 2 seconds of me clicking the icon. The latest version eats up major system resources and takes roughly 40 seconds to open when I have just booted up. It does this on my laptop too.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Clinton, I know in older versions if you went into your profile directory, and deleted the "xul.mfl" file, that could help speed things up. Sometimes after upgrades the file would be larger then it needed to be and Firefox would hang when accessing that file. I don't know if that would help in this situation though, but it can't hurt trying.

Dave, I hear ya about Verizon.com. I haven't had problems with it lately, and can pay my bill on there fine now. But I tried to set up automatic bill paying with them a few months ago while using Firefox, and when I log on today, it still says it's processing the request! I've since changed my mind about the automatic payments, which is why I haven't said anything to them about the situation.

You can go into Tools -> Options-> Download and setup the download manager to not appear when you are downloading. You can also go into Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Download Manager History and change the settings to delete the files upon a successful download.

FWIW, Firefox 1.1 will have faster page rendering, and the options menu is also having a face-lift. They'll be giving us the option to delete anything that is currently in the "security" tab of the optoins menu upon closing or opening Firefox (that includes, history, cache, cookies, fire forms...)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's really Verizon's fault for not coding their system properly, but it plays out like a Firefox limitation. And I missed a payment one month because of this poblem. I'll try again with 1.0.3.

I like the concept of the download manager, but it's far to simple for real use. I keep all installers and patches for after installation. After installing Firefox 1.0.3, I keep the installer until I upgrade to the next version. Those upgrades and patches are kept in a "Downloads" directory that I archive with my personal data. It makes a system reinstallation much easier.

So I'd probably be happy if it had a "I'm keeping this forever and have already installed it, so stop offering it to be opened or deleted now" option. Then, only items I was still evaluating or planned to toss would be listed.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I don't believe it can be turned off. Be sure to look at the top right of the screen from time to time. The icon appears underneath the "restore" button.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
I only have problems with Firefox taking a long time to launch (about 45 seconds or so) at work. But that's likely because when I'm here I have to run it off my flash drive; no administrative privileges = no installs for you! At home on on both my desktop and my wife's laptop, it starts up in about two seconds.

What's the expected release date for 1.1?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Under Tools->Options...->Advanced->Software Update you can turn off the update checker for Firefox and the extensions. It also has a Check Now button. Mine was turned on, but I've never noticed an alert icon. And I've no idea what the "restore" button is. The upper right has the Google search box and the activity swirly icon, which also goes to the FF homepage. Is that the "restore" icon?

Seth--L

Screenwriter
The "restore" button is in between minimize and close.

The help manual says that you can check for updates by clicking the 'check for updates' button, but I can't seem to find it.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Although the official roadmap says June, they will probably come out with 1.1 in late summer, early fall. They are all ready delayed with their preview releases, and they still have 150 bugs or so that need fixin before 1.1 is released.

I honestly forget what the xul.mfl file is, but I know it recreates itself and is considered to fix-it in the Firefox Forums. After typing my last post, I closed Firefox, deleted xul.mfl and when I reopened Firefox it recreated. I wasn't having any problems, I just wanted to make sure that 1.0.3 will still recreate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks