What's new

True Lies & The Abyss Blus in 2014, plus The X-Files & Twin Peaks (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Good news here is the article. Wow… what do you know? We have a rare Rumor Mill update for you today! We’re so deep into the Blu-ray format now, there just aren’t all that many stories that really merit a separate Rumor Mill post. I mean, after the Star Wars films finally hit BD, the biggest topic of Rumor Mill discussion was made moot! But it turns out there are still a few titles worth talking about here.Anyway, we’ve been hearing for over a year and a half now from our industry (and studio) sources that Fox was slowly and quietly working to bring James Cameron’s True Lies and The Abyss to Blu-ray Disc at long last. Back in September we reported that Cameron was finally taking time from deep sea diving and planning Avatar 2 to work on a new HD transfer and master of the films for Blu-ray, but that actual releases were at least 12 or more months away.Well… now we have reports that actress Eliza Dushku was on Chris Hardwick’s The Nerdist program on BBC America on Saturday night. When asked by the host what she’s been up to, she apparently blurted out that she’d just finished participating in work on a True Lies Blu-ray. You’ll recall she played Harry Tasker’s daughter in the film – one of her early roles. (Thanks to all the Bits readers who e-mailed to report this!) So it seems that work continues on True Lies at least, and probably The Abyss too. As to when they might hit store shelves, our best information says next year – 2014 just happens to be the 25th Anniversary of The Abyss and the 20th for True Lies.Speaking of Fox, we’ve also learned that the post facility HTV is involved in the effort to bring The X-Files TV series to Blu-ray Disc. Which is good in that it’s further confirmation that The X-Files is coming to Blu-ray (something we first revealed here in The Rumor Mill back in November)… but it’s bad because we’ve also heard there’s some up-conversion going on of original footage (rather than a full HD upgrade and restoration). As it happens, HTV was the company that did the remastering work on CBS’ Star Trek: The Next Generation – Season Two (which really wasn’t up to the quality standard set by CBS Digital’s in-house team on Seasons One or Three). So draw your own conclusions. Let’s hope that all the series’ dark, gritty goodness isn’t just digitally scrubbed away.Finally, while we’re talking CBS… we’ve had additional confirmation that the company is working to being more catalog TV series to Blu-ray, following the success of Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation, including David Lynch’s Twin Peaks. More on that in the weeks ahead. Stay tuned…- Bill Hunt

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Unfortunately, it means X-Files could wind-up looking like ST:TNG Season 2 Blu-Ray set.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
I'll finally be able to watch The Abyss for the first time!

Those non-anamorphic DVDs weren't worthy of my money.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My DVD of the Abyss has a lenticular cover and is anamorphic , it says on the back - I hope they include all the extras :)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
David Steigman said:
My DVD of the Abyss has a lenticular cover and is anamorphic , it says on the back - I hope they include all the extras :)
That's a typo. I have the original release, which came in a gray double-wide case, and on the very bottom on the back cover it says "Enhanced for widescreen TVs."

The menu is but the movie isn't. :)

And I, too, hope they carry over all the extras.

This might be a great time to revisit dvdreview.com's production diary on the making of the DVD. This was captivating reading back in the day!

http://www.dvdreview.com/html/abyss_diary_-_the_first_wave.shtml

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yep, I've still got the original two disc set in the gray double wide case sitting on the shelf. Every once in a while I get the hankering to watch it again only to remember the picture is going to drive me insane.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I love True Lies. I saw it 3 times during its theatrical run, and it's VERY disturbing that it was nearly 20 years ago!

I was incredibly disappointed when the UK VHS version ended up being censored so heavily, so I bought the US LD, and that's the version I've been watching up until now.

I've NEVER understood how certain films from major directors are always either delayed, never released, etc, etc. I know the old excuses of the directors being so busy they can't approve a transfer, but really?! True Lies hasn't had an anamorphic release in 15 years or so of the DVD format. Cameron hasn't had time to approve a transfer in 15 years?!

Oh well, at least it's coming now. I'll definitely buy the BD.

As a side issue, I wish someone would finally do a good version of T2 on Blu. The current transfer is passable (just), but this film deserves nothing but the best. Such a shame that some of Cameron's best films got the highest possible treatment on laserdisc, and then were pretty much abandoned on later formats.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Will*B said:
I've NEVER understood how certain films from major directors are always either delayed, never released, etc, etc. I know the old excuses of the directors being so busy they can't approve a transfer, but really?! True Lies hasn't had an anamorphic release in 15 years or so of the DVD format. Cameron hasn't had time to approve a transfer in 15 years?!
My guess is that James Cameron is more interested in doing new work (whether it's deep sea diving or making movies) than he is in reliving past glories. And given the way that home video has given people the chance to call their movie a 'classic', I find his lack of revelling in his older work to be very refreshing.

All that being said, just watch the movie and approve the new transfer, Jim! :)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
wasn't the documentary for the abyss shot on film? if yes, then fox should release it in hd :)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Regarding the X files very disappointed. I would not be surprised if it was a total upconversion, but surely after the success of Star Trek (and I have heard nothing to suggest it isn't a success) this would be the model in the future ? Also very shortsighted of Fox IMO - they had the opportunity to make this something special, and who knows reignite the franchise for another film ?

The X Files is one of my favourite TV shows but I don't really see the point in upgrading unless its done properly. Even if they decide only to upconvert effect shots, I have yet to see this done right where it doesn't distract.

Now can someone possible look at redoing Babylon 5 ? :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Bits makes a clarification on The X-Files today
[Editor's Note: I should be clear, it's not a complete upconversion. Like Star Trek, all the original camera negative is being rescanned in high resolution. However the original VFX work was done in low resolution and much of this is simply being upconverted rather than being re-rendered. And any stock footage used – shots of the Hoover Building for example – is being upconverted.]
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/true-lies-abyss-2014-x-files-twin-peaks

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Based on that, my expectations would be on par with the HD releases of Friends.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm very familiar with The X-Files and I'd say that with the lower budgeted first season, there aren't that many VFX shots but as the show went on and the budget got bigger, there were some pretty big effects sequences.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Agreed that the early seasons, which are also the bes too, will probably benefit the most due to less effects shots, but the constant switch from HD to upconversion will be offputting if not done right. The effects shots in the X Files were often integral to a particular story point or dramatic moment so it has a lot more potential to pull you out of an episode than say in Friends.

Irrespective, these kind of decisions are being made with a very short term attitude IMO. Will wait for reviews first if they are actually doing a scan from original negative. It's a difficult one really because I'd love to see shows like this, B5, Angel/Buffy etc done properly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its impossible to expect they weren't going to not upconvert anything on X-Files. For one, the opening titles were made entirely on tape and have no film elements to re-composite.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
i remember when we were "definitely" getting THE ABYSS on Blu in 2012! How ridiculous that we've never had an anamorphic transfer of it in the US on home video. Maybe it will finally happen next year?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks