What's new

True Grit (2010) Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Crosley Carpenter
Great review Neil, thanks.

I am lucky enough (old enough!) to have seen both versions on the big screen and both on home video. I have not yet read the book. I like the original, it is a nicely made traditional western, with top people in front of the camera and behind. It is a very solid film. The new version is a modern western, still traditional in many ways, but looking very much a product of the times and the digital era we are in. For me, the new film is superior. What makes it that way for me are the following, in no particular order:

• the beautiful dialogue and the manner it is delivered. ( How wonderful is the horse trading scene?)
  • the strong acting by all the leads, especially Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Hailee Steinfeld. ( I could understand Bridges' dialogue a whole lot more at home on the Bluray, though I couldn't honestly claim to have got every word)
  • the look of the film: simply outstanding cinematography.
  • the beautiful Carter Burwell score, which I didn't even notice the first time, the way it should be.
  • it connected with me emotionally in a way the original didn't.

I think we are very lucky to have 2 versions of the same story that are both so good. You can't say that about many stories that have been filmed multiple times.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Re-Creating Fort Smith" is one of the neatest featurettes I've seen on a disc in a long while. The idea that they built this entire western city in the middle of a suburban Texas neighborhood is just completely fascinating to me. From one direction, it's the 1870s Arkansas. Turn the camera 180 degrees and it's a live action version of "King of the Hill". Blew my mind.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Thank you Walter for your film comments.

From my perspective, I can't agree with those that say the remake is clearly superior to the original. IMO, I think both films have their strong and weak points and neither of them is what I would classify as a great western. I think this film is overrated by some, maybe, because it's a Coen Brothers film. However, I'm glad it was made and I wish more westerns are forthcoming because of its boxoffice success.

Crawdaddy
This film was pure garbage, it couldn't touch John Wayne's version ever. Wayne's version in my book is a 5-star film. This is an all-around terrible waste of film resources, not one redeeming factor in the whole movie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This film was pure garbage, it couldn't touch John Wayne's version ever. Wayne's version in my book is a 5-star film. This is an all-around terrible waste of film resources, not one redeeming factor in the whole movie.
All I can say is that I vehemently disagree. Also, way to go resurrecting an *11-year-old* thread. ;)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I wouldn’t say it was pure garbage, but I will say it was an unnecessary remake. The original still stands the test of time 50+ years on.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I loved the film. I thought the acting was terrific.

It was a lot closer to the book, which is why I like it more. John Wayne is good, yes, but Jeff Bridges is too. And they used an age appropriate female lead, not a 20-something playing a 12 year old.

Both films have their pros and cons, for sure…

It’s like trashing Spielberg’s WSS over the original. No need for that.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, that is harsh, it is obviously a really well made picture and the acting is quite good. When they first announced this I wondered who they could possibly get to take on Wayne's role, because he is so great in the original, but Bridges brought his own thing to it. I like this far better than the Magnificent Seven remake, but, sure, if I am pulling out a version to watch, typically it will be the Wayne version first. Love the original but this was a solid second shot at the material that did do plenty to be different and not a copy of the first film.

I think to say it is garbage is kind of overlooking all the aspects of it that are quite good. I understand it not being your preferred version of the material but it is a pretty good take on it. The Coens are just too good as filmmakers for one of their pictures to be total garbage, I think anyway. And yes, I even enjoy a rewatch of their version of The Ladykillers, which honestly seemed a much more wrongheaded remake than this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks