What's new

Tron: The original classic will be released either March or April with new special features (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
We have known since last fall that Disney is hard at work restoring the original 1982 Tron for Blu-ray Disc and that it would be released alongside Tron: Legacy on Blu-ray in either March or April of this year. While the Tron Blu-ray announcement is still a little ways off, I do have a little treat right off the grid to share this morning.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/First-Look-Original-Tron-Blu-ray-Cover-Art/8178

Absolutely looking forward to this.

I still have the original dvd release as well.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
That cover sure puts the "ass" in "original classic."

Yuck!

Still, I'm glad it's being released on Blu-ray and will purchase it.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
That is one of the most repulsive covers I've ever seen. When you think about the dense amount of artwork and visual effects that were required to produce that movie, its quite surprising that this is all they could come up with for a cover. Yikes. The 20th anniversary cover blows this one away. This one looks like a cover ready for the 5.99 bargain bin. Lets hope its a temp cover.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
Blu-Ray continues its amazing streak of rubbish cover art.

It's like good art or original poster art offends the old bat.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I hate that effing cover!! [bites fist] What was wrong with the original poster art?

I'll just have to store the disc in one of my old DVD cases.

oh yeah... Tron on Blu-ray yay woohoo [looks at cover again] thhhpptt

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The whole cover is bad, including the phrase original classic. If TRON is the original classic, does that mean that somewhere there exists an imitation classic? Either refer to it as the original TRON or as the classic TRON. In any case, stop using stupid phrases like original classic.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
That is pretty bad cover art compared to the original ha ha. I never did buy the DVD, so I'll be getting this for sure.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tron-sector.com/articles/view.aspx?id=813

We recently posted that Harry Knowles at Ain't It Cool News reported a sequel to TRON: LEGACY is close to being green lit -- now at TRON-SECTOR we are hearing that not only is it green lit, but there will be a teaser trailer for TRON 3 on the upcoming DVD and Blu-Ray releases of TRON & TRON: LEGACY. This is exciting news -- and we'll make sure and keep you posted as more details come forth.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tron-sector.com/articles/view.aspx?id=810

Box Office Spy Blog has reported that both the original TRON and TRON: LEGACY movies are slated for release in the UK on April 11th in a variety of video formats and packaging (with the US release likely to coincide circa this time):

-- TRON: LEGACY - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy Combo Pack

-- TRON: LEGACY - "3-D Super Pack": 3-D Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy (+ prospective 2-D Blu-Ray Version)

-- TRON: LEGACY & TRON - Blu-Ray Combo Set (with DVD and Digital Copy Versions)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm hoping against hope that they got enough negative feedback on the Fantasia BD-Live to prevent a repeat of that debacle.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Just sold my Tron DVD on eBay not long ago in anticipation of the Blu-ray (and managed to make a cool $60+ in the process). And being that I enjoyed the sequel I'll definitely be picking these up on release day.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Even though I'd make a decent profit selling my dvd I think that cosidering what happened with Fantasia

I'll keep the dvd for the special features, unless someone wants to give me 2 bills for it.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
I hope as long as they're restoring the film, that they scan it properly, with the VistaVision portions in 6K and the live action Super Panavision scenes in 8K. Do that and it should look fantastic!

PS: ditto on the cover. Sucks the big one.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
What is it with bluray and bad cover art? For such a premium level of quality for the content the studios are doing their best to make these releases look like tacky, disposable garbage. DVD had some bad cover art too but lots of classy looking releases as well. Blurays batting average is TERRIBLE. I don't get it...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

What is it with bluray and bad cover art? For such a premium level of quality for the content the studios are doing their best to make these releases look like tacky, disposable garbage. DVD had some bad cover art too but lots of classy looking releases as well. Blurays batting average is TERRIBLE. I don't get it...

The graphic artists probably don't have a lot of creative freedom. But it's pathetic when fans of movies can produce better cover art than the studios that made them.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Horrendous boring monocolor cover (the original film was extremely colorful thank you, unlike the blandly designed overproduced bloated nonexistent-3D sequel that's much more deserving of a cover like this) and ridiculous "Original Classic" marketing bullsh*t (for a film that Disney wouldn't allow to be released to revival houses for fear people would laugh and possibly dampen enthusiasm for its blandly designed overproduced bloated nonexistent-3D sequel), but as I never picked up the old DVD version, I'll probably be getting this. If the special features from the old DVD are only available in BD-Live, I'll have to snag a copy of the old DVD as well, the price of which will most likely be dropping within the next few months...

The twice-aforementioned sequel, however, I don't think I ever need to see again.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Those Amazon Marketplace prices are unbelievable, for a DVD set that I could swear was ubiquitous in every store for ten bucks for YEARS, till just a few months back. But they'll surely come down once this thing is released. (Glad I bought at the $10 level, and still have the laser disc box set.)

Cover art. Don't get me started. For pure gut-reaction visual interest and excitement provided by original graphics, I wonder if Warner Archives is the clear leader in cover art at this sweet moment in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks