nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by DaveF

Could spoilers be spoilerized?

e.g.

Hide them :)

Thanks. Otherwise, I'll have to stop reading this thread until I can see the movie. :)

There needs to be an official discussion thread. The movie has been out for a week and a half and we shouldn't have to be spoilerizing everything anymore.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's been twenty years in the "real" world, which is a heck of a lot longer in "grid" time. (In the first film, Flynn could have been in there for days, and going by the shot of Dillinger's office, the sun was just coming up when he got out.) Things change and evolve. I fully expected it would look different, and some simulations would improve. The subdued colors could also reflect the state of things under Clu's rule. Flynn obviously would have digitized things like the books to take back with him into the system. (A nice nod to the ending of George Pal's version of "The Time Machine"?)

I'd like to know how Flynn got the digitizing laser into the basement of the arcade. (Did Encom abandon research on it?) It seemed to take an entire lab building full of equipment to run it in the first film. In Legacy, it seems to be hooked up to smaller version of Dillinger's computer desk. What happened to Yori, Dumont, and all the programs left behind on the "old" Encom system? And Flynn's computer must have one heck of a stable power supply to run undisturbed for two decades in a basement!

I would have liked more of Tron. If they're saving him up for a third film, the filmmakers must be awfully confident the studio will greenlight it. I think his true programming was fighting to resurface once he realized he was fighting a user in the arena, finally seeing Flynn snapped him back. I don't think anyone is "dead" for certain. Flynn's kid got out with his father's identity disk, and he may have copied everything else off the computer into the memory card he put around his neck.

The biggest plot nit for me was how was Clu going to materialize that troop carrier into the real world? The laser is sitting in a basement!

Dillinger's son on the Encom board must be the mother of all red herrings, unless he also figures in a third film. For that matter, if Ed Dillinger isn't dead, he probably didn't do too much jail time and could even be running a rival company.

I've been a Daft Punk fan ever since I saw the "Interstella 5555" anime. I enjoyed the soundtrack, although I imagine they were told not to emulate Wendy Carlos for whatever reason.

And I agree with Edwin, major 2001 vibe on Flynn's apartment hideout. Even the "old" lightcycle evokes Bowman's space pod parked in the corner.

Am I the only one who got really nostalgic seeing a honest to goodness video game arcade? Disney should turn some of their mall stores into "Flynn's".

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by SilverWook

It's been twenty years in the "real" world, which is a heck of a lot longer in "grid" time.

My understanding was the "new" Grid was a fresh start and was created over about 6ish years (end of TRON till Flynn disappears) and seemed to have been somewhat isolated. When CLU takes over, the creation taking place in the Grid stagnates and even deteriorates, ie CLU's destruction of the only true internal innovation. Afterall, the programs just stick to their programming. They aren't users and thus do not create The innovations that the real world experienced over those twenty years didn't make it into the Grid due to a combination of network isolation and the stagnation.

I also agree on the 2001 vibe. First thought that popped into my head when I saw the place.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Huh. I really liked the reprogramming of Tron into Rinzler angle. The return to his original programming was a bit sudden (it's right after he first sees Kevin Flynn in the Lightjet for a reason), but I thought it worked for the story quite well. And we get enough resolution for this film in my mind, which is that he's turned back into Tron (turning Blue-lighted at the very end when in the ocean), and that if Disney can do another story they have something in mind (since Kevin Flynn is, you know, dead).

Also, it was shot in 3D, not converted, though obviously there's a lot of animation going on.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
The quote function doesn't appear to be working properly; I tried to quote Brandon's post above. At any rate, if this was actually shot in 3D (I know the real-world stuff was shot in 2D) then there's absolutely no excuse for it being so lousy.

Re: the lame half-hearted Tron subplot:

I've got no problem with Tron being converted to the dark side as Rinzler and then coming back to the side of the angels. BUT, I've got a HUGE problem with treating such a major character as a mere afterthought, as opposed to giving him some actual on-screen character development and closure. And this very well could have been an afterthought, as someone on another forum pointed out; they could have thought it up during post-production and done a quick reshoot of Bridges saying "Tron, what have you become?" and used some ADR looping of the famous line to turn the masked light jet pilot into Tron.

This sequel simply fails to do justice to the characters of the first film, and it also fails as a 3D spectacular.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I finally saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I found it to be a worthy followup considering the original is close to 3 decades old now. I wasn't very impressed with the 3D (which is pretty much the only reason I bothered to see this in the theaters), and I thought the digitized young Jeff Bridges looked more like a video game character than a real person. I also wasn't thrilled with the character of Tron as "The Stig" (Top Gear fans should get that). But I did like the updated Grid, managing to make it both familiar and new, and the storyline (at least inside the machine) worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks