What's new

TRON: Legacy (2010) (1 Viewer)

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Originally Posted by Ron-P

Is this a converted to 3D film or is this a true 3D film?

True 3D. There's about 10-15 minutes of converted IMAX footage if you see the film that way.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Jim. I won't see a converted 3D film so this one I will being that it is shot in 3D.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised by the casting of the Sam's Encom "rival". The minute he came into the picture I said "Hey, I didn't know he was in this." to no one in particular. I was equally surprised when

Warning Spoiler! Click to hide they did absolutely nothing with the character. This was one of a few subplots I expected to see, that never materialized. Was it trimmed, or did the writers just forget about all the additional cool stuff they could have done? If you're going to hire Cillian Murphy, do something with him!
Yeah, that was one of my biggest nagging questions.

Checked it out today on IMAX 3D. Not great, but enjoyable enough where I didn't regret making the trip to see it. Flynn's son was the typical somewhat douchey rebel/"fuck the establishment"/"I play by my own rules" type (why does Hollywood keep churning out these type of characters). Although, I did find the scene where him and Bridges "Catch up with each other" on the Solar Sailer to be well acted (of course Bridges could handle that in his sleep).

There was some parts with quasi Religious/Philosophical techno-babble that pretty much went right through one ear and out the other.

The digital "De-aging" effect to make Bridges look young, I though varied at different points during the movie, but overall looked good enough (although they still have some work to to get the mouth movement down).

There certainly did appear to be a fair share of plot holes. The other thing that made me wonder the most though was

Why didn't 1989 Flynn leave behind some kind of note someone could find that said something like "If I should ever go missing, here's what you need to do to open up the portal again"

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Tron Legacy is one of the best and worst special effects films I've seen. Best regarding the world of Tron. Worst regarding the de-aging effects of Jeff Bridges' characters Kevin Flynn/CLU. The world of of Tron was simply fantastic to look at. It was light years ahead of the effects in the original Tron. The biggest distraction in this film, however, was the de-aging effects used to make Kevin Flynn/CLU look young. It looked so obviously CGI unlike the way Magneto or Professor X looked in X-Men 3. I think they definitely could have used ILM's or Weta Digital's help in this.

As for the 3D, it didn't stand out for me. The only time I felt it was when Sam Flynn entered the Tron world. After that it felt flat. Plus while watching it in IMAX-3D, I was distracted by the many aspect ratio changes.

Overall it was entertaining but it could have been better. Also,

Tron's change of heart just didn't come through for me as he was always behind a mask so his sudden change in allegiance just felt "WTF!"

Pete-D

Screenwriter
There were some flaws in the script -- certain elements needed to be fleshed out more, pacing and tension needed work ... but I'll be honest, in my opinion this is one of the best "big budget" science fiction experience I've had since the original Matrix.

It obviously draws a lot on films like Blade Runner, The Matrix, and of the original Star Wars, but fuses that into the world of Tron.

Daft Punk's score is incredible, it gives the film a weight and style entirely unto its own.

The main character, Sam ... his attitude/acting is what Lucas badly needed for Anakin in the Star Wars prequels. Cocky with an independent streak without coming off as too damn whiny.

Olivia Wilde is a like a neo-Tinkerbell, her character comes off the prerequisite bad ass pixie, but also sweet and naive. They could've fleshed her out a bit more.

I think the main problem with the film is there are large stretches where there isn't a lot of tension (even leading up to the climax).

Shane D

Supporting Actor
did they deyoung bridges or was it motion cap ala avatar and just built a digital version of him based on the tron 1 version and place on a actors body? i was assuming it was an entire digital creation like they did the avatars.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Shane D

did they deyoung bridges or was it motion cap ala avatar and just built a digital version of him based on the tron 1 version and place on a actors body? i was assuming it was an entire digital creation like they did the avatars.
They built a digital head and placed it on an actor's body. Got to admit at times it looks entirely convincing. Other times you could tell something wasn't quite right.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez

Tron Legacy is one of the best and worst special effects films I've seen. Best regarding the world of Tron. Worst regarding the de-aging effects of Jeff Bridges' characters Kevin Flynn/CLU. The world of of Tron was simply fantastic to look at. It was light years ahead of the effects in the original Tron. The biggest distraction in this film, however, was the de-aging effects used to make Kevin Flynn/CLU look young. It looked so obviously CGI unlike the way Magneto or Professor X looked in X-Men 3. I think they definitely could have used ILM's or Weta Digital's help in this.

As for the 3D, it didn't stand out for me. The only time I felt it was when Sam Flynn entered the Tron world. After that it felt flat. Plus while watching it in IMAX-3D, I was distracted by the many aspect ratio changes.

Overall it was entertaining but it could have been better. Also,

Tron's change of heart just didn't come through for me as he was always behind a mask so his sudden change in allegiance just felt "WTF!"

I think your experience would have been better in a traditional RealD 3D theater versus IMAX. Unless a movie is shot entirely in IMAX I don't think it makes all that much sense to go see it. The 3D scenes were very blatant to me but in a good way and almost slightly annoying when they would switch back to 2D. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Tron's sudden change. WTF? Minor grip however for what led to a fantastic film experience in my opinion. Who cares about plot holes, weak story, etc etc blah blah... My attention was in the movie 100% of the time and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next!

Shane D

Supporting Actor
only issue i had with CLU was his mouth sometimes. other than that it was very believable. and im hoping there is some cut footage with the tron subplot, seems like we were ripped off with it.

i saw this in a normal 3d theater that was built in the last 2 years and i was very meh on it. most of the time you couldnt tell it was in 3d. the trailer for pirates looked really good, but everything else live action fell flat. Im one of those in the camp of i hope 3d dies quickly.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Which theater did you go to? Reason I ask is because I could not disagree more..

I went to an ICON theater which was built in 2010.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
One other observation I had.

Minor Spoiler

Was Sam's apartment, the shack that said "DUMONT" on it supposed to be the "garage" that the Barnard Hughes character from the original film mentions as the place he started Encom in while speaking with Dillinger?

If so, kind a neat callback to the original.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Is it more or is Daft Punk's score the best of the year? I mean, Zimmer's score for Inception is aces. But, this score by Daft Punk is on another level. Every track just flat out rules. I'm recalling images from the film just from the score at home. It's damn near making me want to see the film for a third time...

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Cory S.

Is it more or is Daft Punk's score the best of the year? I mean, Zimmer's score for Inception is aces. But, this score by Daft Punk is on another level. Every track just flat out rules. I'm recalling images from the film just from the score at home. It's damn near making me want to see the film for a third time...

Easily has to be the best of the year. Light years ahead of it's time.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the only thing that sucks about the soundtrack is the 8 or so missing tracks. a uk special edition has a 2nd disk of 5 tracks, amazon has 1 bonus and itunes has 2 and somewhere else had another. although you can buy the amazon and itunes ones for 99¢, luckily they aren't 'album only' purchases

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Perry,

Totally agree. WAY AHEAD of it's time. God, if this film gets a sequel and they come back to do the score for that one?! I'm salivating at the thought...

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Originally Posted by Shane D

the only thing that sucks about the soundtrack is the 8 or so missing tracks. a uk special edition has a 2nd disk of 5 tracks, amazon has 1 bonus and itunes has 2 and somewhere else had another. although you can buy the amazon and itunes ones for 99¢, luckily they aren't 'album only' purchases

The Nokia Ovi player, available outside of the US. You can find the track online if you're willing to search.

I have to figure that Disney's going to release some sort of uber-edition next year, considering the chart success so far.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Originally Posted by Perry Jonkheer 

Easily has to be the best of the year.  Light years ahead of it's time.

I wouldn't go that far. I do think it is the best of the year, but How To Train Your Dragon is quite good, and the best single track of the year is still Flow Like Water by James Newton Howard for the abominable The Last Airbender. But the score for Tron is easily the best thing about the movie.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
As someone who finds the original 'TRON' flawed, but nevertheless both interesting and likable, I thought this was a great sequel. Its glitches in clarifying some story points are similar to the first film...it's just that, visually, this one is everything the original wanted to be. Once they were on the Grid, it was one damn amazing, unique spectacle after another, and for a first-time feature director, I thought Kosinski did a great job. Instead of going hyperkinetic, he handled the action with fluidity and grace, showing off the beauty of the environments and allowing you to stay oriented. The leading kid I thought was solid enough...not the most charismatic, but he at least wasn't annoying, and had some decent interaction with Bridges, whose dual roles I enjoyed a lot. It was a good move to segue Flynn into the Obi-Wan/wise old guru role, which allowed him a few fun Lebowski moments here and there. As CLU, I felt the de-aging effects were effective about 85% of the time...certainly not a 'Benjamin Button'-level job, but in the context of the all-CG world, I thought it was functional. Bridges can bring the menace when he wants to, and it was nice to see him do that against the more affable version of him we've seen more of in recent years. Two things really elevated the film for me, though. First was Olivia Wilde, who was a real surprise. In the trailers, I assumed either she was a femme fatale or a variant on the frosty ass-kicking heroine we've seen a lot of in this genre (a la Trinity, Angelina Jolie in action mode, etc.). Instead she brought a great deal of warmth, innocence and spark to her part, and really livened up the film (she got the two biggest laughs in my theater) and got you rooting for the good guys. Second element was, yes, the totally awe-inspiring score by Daft Punk. WOW. When they were attached to this, I knew something interesting would come of it...but I had no idea it would turn out to be one of those instant classics that defines the movie it was created for. Lately it seems like fewer and fewer filmmakers are willing to hand their films over to composers and say "okay...let's bring this to life," but the people behind this one did, and man what an entrancing an beautiful piece of work they came up with. With a spectacular mix in the film, I'd wager it does as much as the 3D to immerse you in the experience.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

I'll give you "Flow Like Water". An amazing piece of music. It's up there with Zimmer's "Time" as favorite tracks this year from a film score....

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Patrick H.

First was Olivia Wilde, who was a real surprise. In the trailers, I assumed either she was a femme fatale or a variant on the frosty ass-kicking heroine we've seen a lot of in this genre (a la Trinity, Angelina Jolie in action mode, etc.). Instead she brought a great deal of warmth, innocence and spark to her part, and really livened up the film (she got the two biggest laughs in my theater) and got you rooting for the good guys.
I had the identical thought. I was so glad they went with the child-like wonder of the world and her love of her rescuer/mentor. The standard "frosty ass-kicking heroine" who looks down on the main hero and has to train him would have not worked well here.

I still wanted much more light cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks