What's new

trigger wire help (1 Viewer)

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
I have an epson 8350 projector and an Elite spectrum screen. I originally bought a cheap mono wire from radio shack to test the trigger out and it worked fine. I then purchased a longer (35') cord from monoprice and for whatever reason, can't get it to work. The monoproce cable has two wires joined together. In each wire there is another with bronze wire wrapped around it. There is a red wire and a white wire. The cable from the screen has a red wire and green wire. I've tried every combination to connect those wires to the wires of the trigger cable provided by elite but nothing seems to work. In the attached image, the monoprice wire that runs from the projector is on the right and the wire from the screen is on the left. How should these wires be connected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eddie

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 54

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Is there a mini phono plug on the other end of the monoprice cable? I think the issue is you purchased a stereo cable, and for triggers you just need a mono connection (two wires). You could play with all the different combinations, or if you have a volt meter you can turn on the PJ and test the various combinations of the four wires to see which have the voltage. My guess is it will be the white cable and the "bronze" wire around it, but I could be wrong.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't both the Epson and Elite have 1/8th plugs(TS is the proper term)?By the way TS and TRS(what you bought as "stereo") are not the same thing.TRS will not work in a TS JACK.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just to be totally accurate, so you know what to buy...T is tipS is sleeveR is ringThere is a TRRS as well...TS is used for "signal", 12v trigger the overwhelming use.TRS is headphones/cables to connect phones to stereos that include a TRS.TRRS is found on portable video devices, lately...iphone and ipad.TRS and TRRS do not work in TS jacks.

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Sam,The projector has an rj-45 end. The wires were a pain to run thought the ceiling so was really hoping to figure out a solution so I didn't have to pull them out and redo with a new wire. I'll try a few more things and if no luck, will start over.Anyway to go from the stereo then to a mono then to the elite connector wire or will the stereo not take the signal from the projector at all?Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You'll read all over that place that TRS will work for 12v trigger. The problem is(if you look at the tips) for there to be a ring, there (on some, not all) is a slant in the sleeve.You'd think that a connector that has existed since 1870(it was invented for the telephone switchboard) would be universally standard. I've seen TRS made (and it could be manufacturing cheapness) 5 different ways.It is not uncommon for TRS not to work where it "should". Another example is Onkyo's cd/DVD playet control. It will not work with TRS. So chalk it up to Elite using a TS that needs a TS.You could probably run a pair of wire across, then just cut the TS you already have and splice. I'd try that first.

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Sam,Thanks for the info. I don't understand what you mean by this:"You could probably run a pair of wire across, then just cut the TS you already have and splice. I'd try that first. "Thanks,Eddie

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your "cheapo mono wire from Radio Shack" is TS.The stereo wire from MonoPrice is a TRS.TS, TRS and TRRS exist in 1/8 and 1/4.TRS was the wrong one.

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Sam,

Any thoughts on where to buy a 35" mono cord? I just checked with Monoprice and they claim they don't have any. The guy at monoprice told me I could just use a stereo cord with a mono adapter on each end but doesn't seem like that would work.

I guess I could also string a few mono cords together.

Eddie

epeloke

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Sorry for all the noob questions but what do you use for the 'middle cable'? Also, I didn't see the ends on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks