What's new

Blu-ray Review Treasure Planet: 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ejanss /t/321931/treasure-planet-10th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3944703
Again, they made a big announcement of doing the same thing for "Mars Needs Moms", which didn't instantly disappear from cineplexes, but if the studio had publicly disowned continuing the theatrical release, it wouldn't be around much longer, except at theater owners' discretion.
With both Moms and Treasure, the announcement had to be made as immediately as possible, as a gesture to stockholders to show the studio was on top of the situation and plugging losses. (Normally, Moms would have had Robert Zemeckis fired, except that...he already had been, after "Christmas Carol"'s losses.)
John Carter didn't officially get a public studio disowning--as Rich Ross got the chop instead, and that seemed to please everyone--but the studio did pull the promotion after the first two weeks and left it to word of mouth to cover the rest.

Where are these public disavowals of the films? Where did someone from Disney come out and "disown" the movies in the public eye?
If this happened, let's see a link. I don't see what the point would be. The movies were out, they flopped - why would the suits come out and say "man, those movies sucked - we know it!!!!"?

You initially argued that "Planet" was removed from theaters by the end of November 2002 - ie, within three days of its release. You were wrong. You claimed it was only at second-run theaters within a month. You were wrong.

You make lots of claims that you present as fact but can't ever produce any actual FACTS...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Unable to find at three different stores today: Fry's, Target, Best Buy in Wilsonville/Tualatin OR.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Mark Walker /t/321931/treasure-planet-10th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-review#post_3944740
Unable to find at three different stores today: Fry's, Target, Best Buy in Wilsonville/Tualatin OR.

My Amazon pre-order shipped today. It was right in line with normal B/M prices and I was going to pay tax on it no matter where I ordered from. Should be here in a few days, although I could go for some Johnny Reznick tonight. The soundtrack is underrated, too. It sounds like a riff on old school sci fi mixed with a little animation. Very fun.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched this tonight on our new 65" 4k UHD TV, and it looked very good! I like this movie, which mostly works as a story and features some spectacular Disney animation, but as we all know it was a catastrophic box office failure that helped bring about the end of hand-drawn animation at Disney.

This is from Matt Hough's perceptive original review:

"There’s a fair degree of wit in the writing even if the brooding, outsider teenaged protagonist is overly familiar; the bond between him and Silver is still a tender and affecting one, and the Disney animators have drawn the duo (and all of the other characters for that matter) magnificently. In fact, the film mixes traditional flat animation within three dimensional worlds so beautifully that it’s easy to understand why the movie earned an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature in 2002 (it lost to Spirited Away)....

Joseph Gordon-Levitt does an excellent job playing the sometimes bratty but always sensitive Jim, and Brian Murray is his equal as the gregarious and calculating Silver. Emma Thompson has a field day enunciating her crisply British putdowns and forceful commands as Amelia, and David Hyde Pierce is her polar opposite, the klutzy, insecure professorial-type who’s smitten quickly. Michael Wincott is evil personified as the spider-like villain Scroop while Roscoe Lee Browne is tart efficiency and professionalism as first mate Mr. Arrow. Martin Short’s overboard antics as B.E.N. make Robin Williams in
Aladdin seem almost sluggish in comparison...."

Wow. Hard to believe this movie is 17 years old. But since I'm now 54 that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks