What's new

Transporting Alcohol on domestic flights (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
We are heading to Oahu at the end of the month via Hawaiian Airlines from LAX. I called Hawaiian about this and was told carry on or checked no more than 3oz of liquid. So I'm guessing bottles of booze can't fly with us checked or carry on? Anyone have experience with this?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
According to the TSA liquids in checked bags are not subject to the 3oz limit. Here is the list from their site

Not sure about what you can and can't bring through the checkpoint? Here's a list of liquid, aerosol and gel items that you should put in your checked bag, ship ahead, or leave at home if they are above the permitted 3.4 oz.

• Cranberry sauce

• Cologne

• Creamy dips and spreads
    (cheeses, peanut butter, etc.)

• Gift baskets with food items
    (salsa, jams and salad dressings)

• Gravy

• Jams

• Jellies

• Lotions

• Maple syrup

• Oils and vinegars

• Perfume

• Salad dressing

• Salsa

• Sauces

• Snowglobes

• Soups

• Wine, liquor and beer

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
You can check alcohol. Just make sure you've either transferred it to something less breakable than glass or that you seal up the bottles somehow.
While I believe the risk of breakage is pretty low (especially if you've wrapped it up in clothes or some other shock absorber), you'd hate to get there and have all your clothes smell like whiskey.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Or you could consider shipping it ahead of you via UPS / FEDEX etc.
That way you could pack it securely and would not have to worry about it disappearing from
your checked luggage or as noted above becoming a part of your checked luggage.
I think that most hotels will accept a delivery on your behalf if you notify them ahead of time.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Anyone have any idea about how much more expensive food and booze are over there? This is my first trip and were there for 8 days so I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle or not.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not sure about hard liquor, but beer and wine prices on the Big Island and Kauai were about the same as here -- I would assume Oahu is similar, but it's been 17 years since I've spent time on that island. Food prices will be a little higher, but not enough to hassle with taking your own, IMO. Besides, there are certain restrictions on bringing food to the Hawaiian Islands for agricultural reasons. So, you will have to check what you can and cannot bring. I know most, if not all, fruit is banned.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Unless it's something that's going to catch the TSA eye on a scan, or interest the dogs that may be sniffing luggage, carry-on luggage shouldn't cause a problem, although it's always a gamble. If you think it's worth the risk, try it. If you are one of the chosen ones pulled aside, good luck.
Is it really worth the the risk to ship a bottle of booze through carry on and risk some major consequences or just buy it on the island through proper channels.
I remember back in the late 80s, I very naively carried a bunch of eel skin wallets, purses, etc. for my friends from Hong Kong. At that time it apparently was not a good thing to do. Luckily I had an honest face and passed right through. My friends had every inch of their luggage searched before they were let through. I have never, ever done something like that since. Way to risky.
If you can afford a ticket to Hawaii, why not save up an extra $40-50 and buy the booze on the island, rather than risk the stress and possible repercussions of what could happen if you get caught with it.
Don't know the rules, maybe they just simply confiscate what you bring in, meaning you'd end up buying it again legally. Maybe they confiscate it and ship you back to the states. I honestly have no idea, but why risk it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
^^
Stan,
I doubt that the liquor would be confiscated. After all, Hawaii is part of the U.S., so your experience bringing illegal goods into the country from a foreign country really doesn't apply here. A couple of bottles for personal consumption wouldn't be a big deal and certainly shouldn't violate any "state lines" issues for taxes, but it adds weight to the luggage, and the airlines are charging more for overweight luggage.
Hawaii does have an agricultural checkpoint when you enter the state, though, to ensure you are not bringing banned foods into the Islands. This is to help keep non-indigenous insects and other "critters" from coming to the Islands and possibly damage Hawaiian native plants and crops.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Coming back from a family cruise a few years ago, my parents had a few bottles of wine left over -- our travel agent comp'd us a bottle a night for dinner. They get to the airport, Miami, have the curb-stop guy check their bags, get in security, wait (and wait and wait...) and finally discover they've got their wine in their carry-ons and TSA's more than willing to confiscate them. My dad gets out of line, heads back and finds it's too late to check them, and ends up donating the bottles to the curb-stop guy as a bonus tip.

Lesson: check your booze, don't carry it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks