What's new

Trailers On DVDs That Give Away Too Much Plot? Biggest Offenders? (1 Viewer)

PeterKelly

Agent
Real Name
Peter Kelly
Also, RETURN OF THE KING... I don't think that they should reveal that Miranda Otto was a fighting soldier.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Oh, and Two Towers anyone? I still don't think they should have shown him!
Yeah that left me kind of dumbfounded as to why they would give that away, even though I knew myself from the Bakshi version. Why spoil the best surprise of the film.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Probably a marketing thing. He was nominated for a best actor oscar and New Line wanted to let fans know he was returning for the second movie.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
There exists somewhere on a DVD commentary (I simply do not remember which one), a director lamenting about this very thing...about how too much of the story is given away in the trailers.
I know on the Criterion LD for The Game, David Fincher did a commentary for the trailer and complained about how in this day and age they're forced to show everything in the ads.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much any trailer for a Zemeckis film will contain massive spoilers: Castaway, Contact, What Lies Beneath. I vaguely recall hearing his rationale for this at some point but don't remember it now...

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
Wild Things,
a movie with many plot twists, most of which were shown in the preview that I sadly watched first.:angry:
Trace

George See

Second Unit
I suspect you mean Gandalf? I entirely agre. My old flatmate was wanting to know whether he came back, and I refused to tell her. ANd then, there he is in the trailer, on the poster, everywhere. Very annoying.
Almost exactly how it went down with me and my wife and the trailer gave it all away.

I remember the origional teaser for the Fifth Element, just a Big Burning 5 floating thru space, that piqued my interest more than 99% of the trailers i've ever seen.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
The trailer for "Chinatown" is a very big offender. How anyone wanted to see the movie after seeing it is beyond me. The ending shot is given away at the end of the trailer.

"Time After Time" is another offender as well.

An actual trailer that made me want to see a film was "Tommy Boy." This trailer doesn't reveal anything major about the story. It's just a series of gags that really makes the movie look funny, and it is very funny. In the trailer, no major plot points or the cameo by Dan Aykroyd are pointed out. Very smart advertising if you ask me.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I think the worst one is "The Truman Show" which hits every single plot point and...Im not kidding...the ending. GEEZ!

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Yeah that left me kind of dumbfounded as to why they would give that away, even though I knew myself from the Bakshi version. Why spoil the best surprise of the film.
But, the Bakshi version doesn't get that far, it ends after the battle of Helm's deep. Maybe the Rankin/Bass version of return of the king, but I honestly don't remember if this plot point is covered in that version either, granted I've only managed to sit through that ordeal once ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Was it for "Signs" where the director refused to give the advertising department access to more than the first thirty minutes of the film? That's how they should make trailers - if you can't sell a movie by only using the first third of it, why would anyone want to sit through more of it than that anyhow?

Boy, did the trailers and commercials for "Ransom" blow that one big time. Ron Howard was not happy.

There exists somewhere on a DVD commentary (I simply do not remember which one), a director lamenting about this very thing...about how too much of the story is given away in the trailers.
Although only "one of the actors" on the movie, Jeff Bridges gets pretty upset about the same point during the commentary for "Arlington Road".

Richard

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the teaser trailer for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It was all just behind the scenes footage and onset goofs. It was an interesting twist, but as I thought about it I really didn't want to see them 'making the movie' as the trailer. It really takes you out of the fantasy of those movies and removes you from the characters. It just reminded me that these are actors and this is how they are making that 'pretend' world.

So not really ruining the plot, but in a way ruining the movie experience. Just seemed odd for a trailer. Any other films ever do that?

PeterKelly

Agent
Real Name
Peter Kelly
Double Jeopardy alsowas the entire film in summary. Something is wrong with the Paramount generic ad campaigns.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Something is wrong with the generic Paramount thrillers, also. I remember the trailer for Paramount's Regarding Henry lasting for about four minutes and revealing every event and plot twist in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks