What's new

Trailer for new Japanese live action anime adaptation CASSHERN (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I'll admit, even I was skepitcal of the $6 million, but even if they're just being humble, I still have no difficulty in believing that a film like this could be made in Japan for under $10 million tops. Casshern is really like the culmination of all those low-budget (by Japanese standards, of course) live-action anime adaptations that they've been making for years now. Most of them, near as I can tell, are direct-to-video stuff with limited acting and FX, many of them rooted in the tits 'n tentacles genre because it's probably easy to find some A/V starlets who aren't afraid to do squishy things with foam rubber appendages. Then there're the higher-up features like the ZEIRAM movies, the live-action TOKYO: THE LAST MEGALOPOLIS, plus the recent (or upcoming) DEVILMAN live action movie. There's probably a lot more that we're not even aware of, and may never get to see, but surely CASSHERN is just taking things to the next level, and hopefully the start of a whole new era of Japanese fantasy cinema. Considering how much CGI is turning up in traditional anime over the last few years, and how effectively it's been integrated into the time-honoured artistic style of the form, it's no surprise that the same care and attention to detail would be evident in a live-action adaptation such as this.

I remember watching a making-of doc on some anime DVD, the name of which eludes me, but it was a fairly famous title. But in it you can see the creators talking about how little money they had to create the work as time wore on, how they scrimped and saved and starved, and they showed you the cramped, cluttered little backstreet studio where people appeared to be labouring out of sheer love of their craft rather than how much money they were getting paid (or not getting paid) or stood to make when it was finally released. This was not some fancy, high-tech Disney "environment." This was a den of artists working the old-fashioned way, independently. The impression it gave me was that the vast majority of people who work in the crowded anime industry don't end up rich. They end up satisfied. And for those people, at least on this particular doc, that seemed to be enough.

Now, I'm sure Casshern was probably done on state-of-the-art equipment, perhaps even in a state-of-the-art facility, but I seriously doubt much of that $6 million went to paying the talent anything other than standard wages. Judging from that trailer, it looks like it all went up on screen. And if it's any good, they'll probably make their money on the back end when it starts to play Japan and, later, the rest of the world.

The fact is, the American film industry could not make a movie that looked this good for that little money. Overpaid stars, overpaid directors, gargantuan egos, counterproductive union rules, constant studio interference, pandering to the perceived market demands instead of offering anything truly grondbreaking, the list goes on as to why American studio genre movies have become so big and long and bloated and completely devoid of subtext (BAD BOYS II, anyone?). There's so few people who seem able to stay true to their visions in that system anymore (not that there aren't some, of course!), but the Asian filmmakers in all three of the big markets (Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea) and even the smaller ones (Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam) seem far less bound by restrictive and inefficient rules. If you touch my toolbox, I WON'T file a grievance, so to speak.

When you can, try to watch a behind the scenes documentary on a Japanese DVD, preferably for some big sci-fi or action epic and just compare the number of people standing around doing nothing with the number you see in virtually any behind-the-scenes documentary for an American Summer Blockbuster. Sure, I've seen people in both who look like they really don't have anything to do, but in the American docs, the sheer volume of people milling around the set with clipboards or yakking into cellphones or laughing at director's stupid jokes is mind-numbing. You can see these types in the Japanese docs too, but generally everyone appears to be working on something because everybody shares responsibilities and they don't have the comparitive luxury of gigantic budgets and long shoots. I guess the payoff is when you see "big-budget" Japanese blockbuster fare that comes damn close to, or even surpasses the quality of their $100-million-budgeted U.S. counterparts and yet you might never knw that probably a third to a half the people actually pulled it off with barely one-tenth of the money.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
BANZAI!!!

This film looks great! Even if the script blows, the visuals alone should be worth a viewing.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
In the US, I'm not even sure you could make that trailer alone for $6 million, lol.

I agree our filmmaking system over here is too bloated.

While I certainly support the unions, here you have ridiculous situations where the make-up artists pull in a huge salary because the actors refuse to work with someone else.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
That's what I was basically getting at in my long-winded way. I don't like to sound completely anti-union, as they do have their benefits, but when a unionized industry like Korea's, to use an example I'm more familiar with, can put out large-scale event movies like TUBE, YESTERDAY, BLUE, RESURRECTION OF THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL, 2009 LOST MEMORIES, or the new Korean War epic TAEGUKGI, which clocked in at an "astronomical" $12.8 million US, you have to take a cold, hard look at the American system, particularly when its movies are no longer the world standard-bearers for production value and acting talent. Granted, some of these films arguably suffer from weak scripting, as might CASSHERN when we finally get to see it, but that's not the point here. When all the participants are getting that much smaller a piece of the pie, I have to think that what we ultimately see on screen might be a truer representation of what its creators had in mind.

I read somewhere that the Hideo Nakata, the director of RING and RING 2 is going to direct the American version of RING 2. How much you wanna bet he brings the thing in under budget, even with having to use an American crew.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
To say that the difference in the size of the budgets is due solely to the presence of unions is simplifying things way too much. You're failing to take into account the individual economies of each country.

For example, my house (2000 Sq. Ft, 3 bedroom suites, 1 guest bedroom, 1 half bath) is worth $75,000 here, but could sell for $200,000 if it was built in the US. It's not that builders are more efficient here, or that unions don't get in the way. It's that this is a hideously crippled economy, nothing more. It appears like a bargain to someone living in a stronger economy, but $75,000 is considered an outrageous sum of money here.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
On a vaguely related topic, the *average* production cost of a Hollywood film has reached $63.8 million. The average marketing cost is $39 million, meaning that the *average* cost of making and marketing a Hollywood film is now over $100 million -- $102.8 to be exact.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
You're absolutely right, Ricardo, and had I more time in my original posts, and not thought they'd be so long people would have skipped right over them, I would have gone into things like that. But at the same time, I don't think film budgets and union pay scales are entirely skewed to the budget of their respective countries. Japan and South Korea have experienced economic booms over the years and their respective film industries didn't start churning out more expensive features. They've been fairly consistent through the years. As have the Americans, only in a much more bloated way.

I would imagine unions in Japan and South Korea adapt to the economy as they would anywhere else, but the world of entertainment has its own rules that define how much money people make, how much a movie budget is, etc. Hong Kong is probably an interesting exception as I don't believe their film industry is unionized, which may be why they have been why they were so much more productive for the last 30 years or so.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think also what you have to keep in consideration is the target market. Typically, the target market for a film is the country where it is made. The US certainly has a larger population with lots of disposable income. Certainly, they are both higher than Korea, and at least the population is higher than Japan.

Before going off on "evil unions", you have to realise that there is a lot of money to be made with US films. While they cost more than ever, they also make more than ever. People take what they can get, and studios pay what they think is worth to make film X so they can get Y profit.

Course, that's why a lot of TV animation was shipped overseas. Hell, a lot of inbetween work in anime is done in China now, since it is cheaper for them to outsource it.

Jason

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
China's become the unempowered, non-unionized, bottom end of the food chain for cheap help, much like they've been for decades in other areas of industry and manufacturing. It's no wonder they've got such a thriving bootleg industry not only there but in Hong Kong and in the Chinatowns around the world. And they're feeding one of the biggest "markets" of all.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I watched the trailer, thanks for the post. I'm not normally one for anime-based live action movies, but damn, that trailer looked good. A little too comic booky for me, but in a good way.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Anyone liking this should find the live-action (I think, looks more like CGI to me) trailer for the new Devilman movie, and then there's also Appleseed, which isn't live-action, but is CGI done in the "cell shaded" method.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
There's a Devilman live-action movie coming???? :D:D:D

Just one step closer to the glorious day when a Mazinger-Z live-action movie is made... *longing sigh* :D

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The Devilman trailer rocked! The effects were a little on the obvious side, but I LOVED Devilman's design. I gotta look for it when it hits DVD.

Downloading the Appleseed one now.

EDIT: Just saw the Appleseed trailer. Holy crap! :emoji_thumbsup: I've realized two things:

1. I really need to pay more attention to Japanese cinema.

2. I really must learn Japanese someday.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I need to check out this trailer sometimes. However I think Hollywood movie budgets are becoming bloated due to many factors including actors taking a big salary upfront for some movies.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I just saw this trailer for the first time. The visuals were simply stunning and unlike anything I've seen before. :emoji_thumbsup:

This movie seems to share two things with the upcoming Sky Captain: the retro-futuristic look and the way it was made (almost entirely on a "digital backlot"). But this looks so much better than Sky Captain, that I will never understand why that movie is getting more fan buzz than this one. I hope Casshern gets released over here, even if it skips the theatrical release and goes straight-to-DVD.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have both Devil Man episodes on VHS, never really felt the need to get it on DVD (if available) but this I hope get released here in the states. That was a good trailer, screams CGI, but a good one. Not as good looking as Casshern.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks