What's new

TPM to be the best selling DVD ever? (1 Viewer)

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
Why not?
People who liked the movie will buy it.
People who like star wars may buy it in the hope that it helps the others come out.
People who are into their HT audio will buy it as a reference disc.
People who are into spotting EE will buy it to critically analyse in great depth.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Yes.
------------------
sig.jpg

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Ultimately, over time, possibly. Immediately, I don't think so. Realize I am a life long fan of all the movies, waited in line 8 hours to be the first in town to see TPM, and will be a multiple buyer of this disc (for family, also). Also realize that I'm a retailer and have been spouting off about this disc for months. I think it will be a strong contender, but I don't think it has the same sort of buzz as Gladiator did. George really did hurt "immediate" sales by waiting so long. However, there are TONS of SW freaks out there (ahem!)
I could be wrong and many people could be hiding their intentions ( I hope so). And I DID order enough to supply a small army.... Here's hoping I'm wrong : )
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps even Snow White later in the year
Snow White is out already. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to watch it yet, had to watch TPM
wink.gif

I think TPM might become the best selling disc but I'm not as sure about this as others. Among families Shrek might do a lot better this year for xmas presents etc. People already have TPM and if their VHS didn't wear out they won't care replacing it (talking about J6P obviously but they matter, especially around xmas). Shrek on the other hand every kid loves and nobody has it yet. I don't know about the long term no.1 but I have a feeling Shrek will take this year's crown.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

David Stucky

Auditioning
You know I love fantisy, traditional and digital animation, comedy, re-makes of old hit songs, home theaters, DVDs, and I even liked Shrek.
I just dont see myself ever buying Shrek not until I at least have kids. For me this movie was one of those movies that you watch maybe once or twice at best. After that it will just bore you to death, if not kill you.
The only reason I can personally see buying Sherk is for kids. I think it will sell well, but I am not so sure it will be the hit that everyone seems to think it will be.
Maybe I am just a odd ball.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
TPM has no chance of being the best selling DVD of all time, and here are the reasons. (This is from a Star Wars fan...)
1. From everything I heard, the run on this disc was somewhat limited (No where near four or five million copies). Why? I don't know, but at least Fox and Lucasfilm wont be sitting on inventory like most studios.
2. There are two many big guns this fall. As almost eveyone pointed out, Shrek is coming in November, and barring a meltdown in popularity, it should come out as the #1 DVD of all time... Until next Xmas, when another summer hit has momentum.
3. Many people are tired of the wait and no longer care.
Daniel L

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
David,
Those of us on the HTF LA meet the other week were invited to Dreamworks where we saw samples of the Shrek DVD. As I said in another thread I think very few of us left the screening room with doubts in our minds that it would be fall/winters hottest seller. The disc (with a retail of $20 for crying out loud!) is an absolute hoot for all ages, that seems the studio's aim with this title, it has something for everyone. I think upcoming reviews may sway the opinions of many who feel as you do about Shrek on DVD.
"CAKE, eeeeeeverybody loves cake!
Dan (UK)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Dan, isn't that $20 price the MAP???? I'm pretty sure it's been a common misconception that $19.95 is Shrek's retail.
-Tom

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Tom, that's not the impression the Dreamworks reps gave us the other week. It drew gasps of surprise from us all.
Dan (UK)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Unless Dreamworks is going to announce a price drop in the next couple of weeks, the MSRP for Shrek will be just shy of $27. That's the price listed on DVD Price Search, Image Entertainment, buy.com DVD Empire, DVD Planet, Amazon, North American DVD, DVD Grand, CD Universe, and many others, I'm sure.
Still, the Shrek press release says "The VHS will be ownably priced at $15.95 and the DVD will be available for $19.95." If that's the MSRP Dreamworks is aiming for, they might want to let every e-tailer in existence know of the change... :) Then again, maybe that 'available for...' is referring to MAP too...
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site
[Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 08, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think that any casual fans might have picked up TPM on VHS already...but the DVD will sell well to those that waited for it. I do think there is a big chance Shrek will out-sell it...at least initially.
------------------
[Edited last by Ian C on October 08, 2001 at 04:08 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Based on the number of posts for people who want it before street date, I would say yes, it will be.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 09, 2001 at 09:11 AM]

DarrenA

Second Unit
I would have said TPM would have been the one this year. However, I have seen zero advertising for TPM DVD and it's only one week away from release. I have seen plenty of Mummy Returns DVD and Shrek DVD advertising already. I would likely agree that the runaway Shrek DVD will likely be the big winner for the year, IMO.
Best selling DVD ever will likely remain "The Matrix" for a little while longer.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks