What's new

TOY STORY 3 (merged thread) (3 Viewers)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
After listening to the interview and punching the heck out of the guy using the game to win a free Ipod, this will suck. Focusing on the fact that Andy has no father and the possiblity of his mom finding another man with children and plotting the story to see how Andy's toys get along with the new kid's toys is simply not the way to go here.

To bad Pixar doesn't have the rights to the characters because I think Buzz Lightyear has a potential of doing a real good CGI movie.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I will never, ever, not ever, see a movie Di$ney stole from Pixar. I have zero desire to, and will do everything in my conversational power to encourage others to not participate.

Buzz and Woody, Flick and the Princess, Sully and Mike, and Nemo are all dead now. They exist only in our minds.

Di$ny's treatment of Pixar has not only been appaling, it's been bad business. If they'd just treated fairly with them, they could have gone on for decades as a happy duo.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You can't take the money and then bitch later. Look, the hard cold truth is that Pixar is just as much to blame for signing that contract to begin with. They took the money, but they don't own their work.

Folks, Walt Disney himself learned that hard lesson when Charles Mintz stole Oswald the Lucky Rabbit from him and most of Walt's animators, to boot, way back in 1928. Walt swore then and there to never, ever work for another company again, and he risked everything on three short cartoons, the last of which we all know today as "Steamboat Willie".

From an objective standpoint, let's look at what Pixar was asking for in order to continue making films for Disney.

a) Ownership of the sequel rights to their previous films
b) Control over what time of year their films could come to theaters
c) Disney to take a standard distribution percentage after a return of their production investment, instead of the 50% profit share they enjoy now.

Let's look into our crystal ball and imgaine the future, a future in which the novelty of CGI animated features has worn off, a future where some bad CGI animated features have been made, a future where the market is glutted with product by Fox, Warner Bros., DreamWorks, Paramount, Disney, and Pixar, and others.

Why in the world would Disney give up the rights to the Pixar films in order to get more films from them, when they would only be receiving a flat distribution fee, when they would have to deal with them as a competitor in the same marketplace (a marketplace which is going to get as clogged in the years to come as the mid-90's after The Lion King and Aladdin)?

If you were Michael Eisner, would you sign that contract?

I wouldn't.

Then again, if I was Steve Jobs, I wouldn't have signed the ORIGINAL contract giving Disney ownership of the films, ownership of the characters, ownership of the sequel rights, control of the video releases, all for 50% of the production costs and Disney fronting the bill for marketing and distribution.

Pixar signed the deal with El Diablo Eisner, they now have to deal with it. They've got major problems ahead, and the inevitable truth is that eventually, they're going to make a stinker. It is as sure as the turning of the earth. Cars might even be that stinker, judging by reaction to the trailer.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
And no bloody way do I pay to see the cheapquels made to Walt Disney's films, nor will I even dane to *watch* them. The coming Bambi: Platinum Edition DVD contains a preview for the cheapquel, Bambi II. Like painting an ad for a Hillary Duff movie on the Sistine Chapel.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

Oooh, Ernest, you DO have a talent for chilling mental images. Besides which, I hope no one from a major studio is reading this, or some dumb*&^% might actually offer to help front the restoration costs of the Sistine Chapel for the right to perform such horrors on a magical piece of art, but also for re-naming rights. Safeco Chapel anyone?

Shudder!!

Count me out for TS3 as well. Surely there could be SOME sort of re-negotiation on the ownership rights, couldn't there?

James T

Screenwriter
Aren't you guys judging a little ahead of time? Pixar made great flicks, but so what if Disney wants to make a sequel? It's just movie business where a movie makes a lot of money and sequels are made with or without the original creative team.

I hope Disney gives Mainframe Ent. the chance at Toy Story 3. Their CG animation is just as good as any Pixar film and they even had a CG show a year before TS1 came out.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
James,

I can't speak for everyone else here, but for me it all has to do with John Lasseter. I was into this series from day one, went to the first showing in theaters, then bought the big delux laserdisc boxed set when it came out and watched every ounce of material on it.

Those charactors and John Lasseter are, in my mind, one. To see how much love was poured into the first two by John and his team at Pixar, it really deadens the magic with all this talk of business, ownership rights and contracts etc...

This third film feel's steril to me, even at this early stage, because John Lasseter isn't attached to the project. It's the same disconnected feeling I had watching Terminator 3 knowing that they did this without James Cameron.

Did they even get Tom Hanks and Tim Allen back for this anyway? I hope not, and I hope that Tom and Tim feel the same way I do and not do the film. Without them on-board, their will be no 'TS3', and I DARE Disney to make this film without them.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Bambi II? I guess Hugh Hefner isn't as old as I thought.

Seriously though, if it wasn't a poster I respected, I would think of the report of Bambi II as an appalling, in poor taste, joke. Perfectly fitting for Eisner.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm quite glad Disney will be attempting this. Something that's a tenth as good as the Pixar originals will still be 1000000000000000000000000000 times better than the dross that Disney have been producing of their own accord in the past few years.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

You are assuming that Disney could even get it up to that level. I like the first 2 because they weren't about Andy, he was just a vehicle to drive the story they were about Andy's toys and the reality that they live in, welcoming a new toy for instance. We don't need to explore human relationships like Andy needing a father, or what have you and TS 3 become the Brady Bunch of these films by basically taking the plot of that show, and telling it using toys instead of people.

As for Bambi 2, I'm still waiting for Snow White 1.5 and Cinderella 3-16, I just kicked your ass with my glass.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I can see Tom Hanks passing on this film, but is Tim Allen's career really in any shape for him to be passing on guaranteed work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks