What's new

TOY STORY 3 (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
He wants to re-render the films in CGI. Much of the character animation still exists in the animation morgue, meaning the original, uninked drawings. See the Treasure Planet DVD for an example of taking the original animation from Peter Pan and porting it onto a CGI model.

JackKay

Second Unit
From Hollywood Reporter:

Walt Disney Studios is actively moving ahead with its long-in-discussion sequel to Pixar Animation's two "Toy Story" movies, a move that could bring Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the gang back to the big screen. Disney is in the process of setting up a digital animation facility in Glendale, not all that far from DreamWorks Animation's digs, that will be used for the production of "Toy Story 3." The project falls under the aegis of David Stainton, president of Walt Disney Feature Animation. Andrew Millstein, who headed the company's now-shuttered animation facility in Orlando, also is involved and has begun the process of recruiting animation heavyweights from rival animation studios and effects shops. Although over the past year Disney chairman Michael Eisner and studio head Dick Cook have signaled their determination to embark on a "Toy Story" sequel, the fact that the studio is now actively beginning that process could make it more difficult for it to resume negotiations with Pixar CEO Steve Jobs to extend Pixar's relationship with Disney. The current Pixar/Disney deal expires next year with the release of John Lasseter's "Cars." While Disney holds the rights to do sequels to "Toy Story," it has held off from doing so in the past, in part in deference to Jobs and Lasseter, both of whom haven't wanted to lose control of the characters. Neither Disney nor Pixar would comment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any word on whether the voice talent from the first two will return for #3?

Is this expected to be a theatrical release or a direct-to-video?

Also, there's thread already on this topic, somewhere.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Both of the main actor's have said that it will depend on who is involved and if the script is any good.

We shall see, I still thought that there was room for a Toy Story 3, but I doubt Disney would go that way...and instead drag the thing out for the rest of eternity.

I can see it now the first cheapquel...Toy Story 1.5

Of course, given some previous quotes wherein Eisner braged that he could make TS3 at a lot less expense...that one might hit the theater, but it being in the theater won't mean that its not a cheapquel.

Eisner needs to be stopped...so that who ever takes his place in 2006 will actually have a company to run.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
On the voices discussion, I wouldn't be surprised if they got Jim Hanks (Tom's brother) to voice Woody and Patrick Warburton (who did the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series) to do Buzz. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is that the new 400% efficiency plan? Half the effort and twice the crap?

Disney is in a terrible slump. If they do make TS3, I hope they surprise us all and make the best movie they've done in a decade. Toy Story deserves it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

This brings up a couple of questions for me. One, just what does Disney contribute to a Pixar film? And two, what is the last Pixar film the Disney will retain the rights too?

Someone said that since Pixar wanted to get control of the already produced movies in a new contract, it made no economic sense for the relationship to continue. I'd argue that a when you have an agreement to produce X number of movies together, and one partner argues that a sequel doesn't count towards the agreed number, that you've got a very unfair partner trying to squeeze every lost ounce of gold out of the goose. Now Disney's greed has apparently killed the goose (i.e. the relationship).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

1. They help pay for the films, and distribute them on home video and in to theaters and the such. It has been debated and discussed as to how much creative imput anyone at Disney might have on a Pixar film, I think if its any its only because the people at Pixar might have asked for some advice from someone over at disney, and it is probably artist to artist not artist to Disney suit.

2. Cars

Over at Jim Hill Media yesterday he discussed what it might take for Pixar and Disney to get back together, at least from the POV of Pixar...and one thing that they want is for the rights to the characters in those films already distributed by Disney to revert back to Pixar in exchange for exclusive distribution rights to all Pixar films through 2015.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
One, just what does Disney contribute to a Pixar film?

Financing, Marketing, and Distribution -- Disney pays for half of the production costs (which are considerable), Disney also handles the marketing (and usually does a tremendous job) and lastly Disney provides distribution for theatrical and home video releases through their Buena Vista arm.

Lastly, many of the original Pixar animators and story men were former Disney employees. It was Disney - not George Lucas - that fronted R&D money to John Lasseter to begin his work exploring the potential of CGI animation. One of John Lasseter's early tests was based on Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, which he made in collaboration with Glen Keane. Lasseter later left Disney to help start up Pixar at Lucasfilm, and the rest is history. The first Disney film to be made with input from Pixar was The Rescuers Down Under, though they were hired only as consultants, they did not provide any shots for that film. A good primer on Pixar's early history can be found on Disc One of The Ultimate Toy Box.

And two, what is the last Pixar film the Disney will retain the rights too?

Cars, unless Michael Eisner wants to try and sue Pixar before he resigns, claiming that Toy Story 2 doesn't count towards their original contract.

It has been debated and discussed as to how much creative imput anyone at Disney might have on a Pixar film, I think if its any its only because the people at Pixar might have asked for some advice from someone over at disney, and it is probably artist to artist not artist to Disney suit.

Lasseter is on record thanking Roy Disney for his support and story input over the years. I know Roy gave input, couldn't tell you if any other Disney executive gave advice (or was listened to if he or she did).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's a lot of moaning about Disney these days, and their relationship with Pixar only seems to provide more grist for the mill. But still, when I see the CG Disney logo before a Pixar film, it gives me a little thrill. That's the Disney of my youth: fun, creative, cutting edge. Not the 800lb corporate gorilla only interested in profits and power ties.

And I wonder, would Pixar be half the company they are today if they had not partnered with Disney? Could they have gone solo? I doubt it. Even if they could, they wouldn't have the marketing muscle to get ties with every Tom, Dick, and Ronald McDonald.

What about starting with another studio? I don't know. Disney is synonymous with "feature animation." Until Shrek, it seems every other studio has failed trying to mimic Disney's feature cartoons. And even when not failing, no one has established anything close to the legacy and reputation Disney had.

As much lucre as Disney is trying to squeeze from Pixar, I wouldn't be surprised if Pixar has gained even more from their relationship with Disney.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Its Cars, in large part because Eisner claims that Toy Story 2 doesn't count. If Toy Story 2 had in fact counted in the original terms of the contract, then the Incredibles would be the last Disney/Pixar co-production, and all of this who will Pixar team with next...would've happened awhile ago.

Dave makes an interesting point, I'm sure that the Disney name helped Pixar anywhere from a bit to a lot over the years, but at the same time I think Disney has lost its own Disney magic. Just look at the box office returns for some of the last Disney animated films, and the Pixar ones.

Pixar is essentually out Disneying Disney itself.

Ernest, you're right I forgot about Roy E. Disney and his relationship with Pixar, although Roy more than the current president of feature animation, strikes me as someone that knew the value of a good story and had a better understanding of the artistic side of the process.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Good point, although as has been mentioned previously in this thread, Tom Hanks is quoted as saying there "would be a huge bridge" to cross before he would do a non-Pixar Toy Story sequel. The other part of his response to the question implies his loyalty to Pixar. My gut feeling (and I realize it might just be wishful thinking on my part) is that he just wouldn't do it. Tim Allen, on the other hand, might. He has been more directly connected with Disney for much of his career and it's possible he might need the money more than Hanks, who it's safe to say can afford to say "no".

Me personally? I'm not shelling out any money to see Disney ruin Pixar's creation. I know some of you question how so many of us can "see the future" or "look in the crystal ball" and know for certain that a Disney sequel would suck. Well, I'll grant you that miracles could happen, but I'd say the odds are about a 100 to 1 that Disney would strike gold and produce a worthy successor. It's just my opinion, of course, but a Disney Toy Story 3 without Pixar won't hold a candle to the two previous classics.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Part of it for me is that Disney has drastically changed how they make animated movies, yeah I know, big shock. But one thing, of particular importance to me is that they want to approve the script before things even get greenlit...which means that the storyboard process plays a lesser role if any at all.

If you look back at the older Disney classics, I'll bet you almost all of them don't translate well in script form, I mean when you see the talking furnature in Beauty and the Beast, I'll bet that kind of thing just wouldn't read as well in a script as it would being pitched on storyboards.

Reportedly, Chicken Little is having problems even so close to release...I read somewhere that they're still trying to figure out how to end the film and its due out July 1...oh yeah this company still knows what its doing.

I'll wager that the way ideas get fleshed out at Disney and the way they get fleshed out at Pixar are dramatically different...and hey guess what, one companies way works, and the other company well...not so much.

That's why I think a Pixar Toy Story 3 without Disney would be fine (but impossible to happen the way things currently are) and a Toy Story 3 done by Disney without Pixar would probably be something I don't want to see.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I know it's been said already but the thought that Disney is only doing this for cash flow and doesn't have Pixar involved leads me to believe this is going to suck.
Thank you Michael Eisner!!!!

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Here is the potential writer of Toy Story 3, James Herzfeld, saying he just turned in his draft and giving some pretty detailed info. Disney's is planning a theatrical release and doing this without Pixar. There are some spoilers in this interview.

Interview

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks