What's new

TOY STORY 3 (merged thread) (2 Viewers)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Disney owns the characters for sequels, but don't expect Pixar to do the animation.

Yahoo! News

Would it be worth seeing without the creative storytelling of Pixar, and how would the characters look animated by another digital studio?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I would be enormously skeptical on any non-Pixar release. Disney's latest animated efforts don't seem to have the same level of craft and charm (from a base storytelling standpoint) to match their Pixar releases. And that doesn't even get into the technical aspects.

They are some very large shoes to fill, and I think I'll maintain guarded interest.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I have no urge to see it, that's all I can say. Without Pixar heading it, forget it.

Di$ney will do anything to make a buck, as this clearly shows. They'll run it into the ground faster than ever.

Galen_V

Second Unit
The real question is whether they can convince the original cast to come in to do the voicework again (and I don't think even Disney would have the balls to go through with a Toy Story 3 without the likes of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen).

paul:hillsdon

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is horrible! Most of the cast probably won't return without Pixar's involvement, recent screenshots of Disney new 3D movies looks boring, flat, plain and has no depth. But, if anybody else has seen the trailer for Chiclen Little, we may all possibly have a little hope left, cause it sure looks worth seeing! Toy Story is one of the best animated movies ever, and Disney is simply captitalizing on some of PIXAR'S most bevoled characters

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
but I don't trust Disney to make this work, it was the creativity of Pixar that made the first 2 work, its like if my friend wrote a paper and put my name on it, that's basically what Disney did. This is not unexpected though, why should Disney be creative when they've got dozens of franchises left to ruin?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Noooo! I like the way the series ended...

I bet Pixar is none too happy. In fact, I can see the bad press already with the movie.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course, the selective quote misses this:
As in, there likely aren't any specific plans to actually make another Toy Story sequel. I don't doubt that there are general plans, in much the way Disney constantly evaluates all their properties, but the article reads like they are years from starting, which would then take a couple years to render. The information in the article makes it appear that this guy was asked about Toy Story 3 while promoting The Alamo, and basically answered that if/when it gets done, it will be theatrical rather than video.

I've got no particular love for Disney, but this really looks like much ado about nothing to me.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
If Disney were to go ahead and make a sequel without Pixar, I would sit it out. And also, I dont think that Hanks or Allen would do the films if Pixar were not involved, as I believe they were instrumental in the second film even going to theaters in the fisrt place.

Rick Salt

Grip
Well everyone thinks the disney movies are going to suck without pixar. But maybe pixar will suck without disney. I for one am going to take a wait and see aproach because as far as i'm concerned the best animated films of all time were made by disney. Have they hit a rut? yes. But they have climbed out of ruts before. The late 70's and early 80's were not good, but oliver and company, the little mermaid, beauty and the beast, alladin, and the lion king changed that and as far as i'm concerned the last four are my top 4 of all time. Eventhough the disney pixar colaboration's are also near the top of my list i still will be taking a wait to see first aproach.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would hope this doesn't get off the ground without Pixar. I love the first two, but without the same talents as the first one, it'll be doomed!

Also would the cast come back? Probably not Hanks and Allen if they want to show their support for Pixar. They could replace them with Jim Hanks (Hank's brother and Woody in the straight to video Buzz movie)and Patrick Warburton (who played Buzz on the animated show). John Ratzenberger seems to have a very good relationship for Pixar so he'll probably want to show his support.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Pixar is its own production company with complete control. Disney just distributed the films. Pixar movies won't suck without Disney. But Disney, being in a rut, will suck without Pixar unless they can pull out of the rut before the contract expires.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Pixar did get an assist from Disney, and a lot of creative talent went across the stream to work for Pixar, and some big wigs with Disney really had input at Pixar.. that having been said, a big part of that is because the animation division at Disney has been absolutely savaged with layoffs and projects shutdown.

I have more faith in Pixar picking up and making good films without Disney input (now that they've hired some of the best away anyway) rather then Disney picking up and starting out.. Disney has no vision or leadership to pick the right people to do it.

Somehow, should disney do TS3 with none of the original cast, new actors, etc. and their own 3D division, I feel it would blemish the rest of the series.. it's the money-sucking approach ala Lion King 1 1/2 and Sleeping Beauty 2; Cinderella 2... except, I fear, this would be closer to "Dinosaur 2"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well see, I felt like that initially about T3 and Cameron... but I let it go by this time last year, got even pumped about it, gave it a chance, and it ended up being perhaps the best movie I saw last summer. I absolutely loved it and find it a worthy addition.

My point is: I am willing to give TS3 a chance, even if on paper it already looks bad. You just never know. I love the "franchise" enough to be willing to invest a couple bucks and 2 hours of my time, at the risk of a crushing dissapointment.

--
H

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Well everyone thinks the disney movies are going to suck without pixar. But maybe pixar will suck without disney.>>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pixar do all the work on planning, writing, character development and voice work on their films, and all Di$ney did was take the ownership of the characters away from them along with releasing the films?

If that's the case, Pixar should buy all their stuff back and release it without Di$ney. One would think they have the money to do so.

That being said, no Pixar on Toy Story 3 = no viewing of Toy Story 3.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I love how people here can see into the future. Yes, Pixar has a string of hits. But so has Disney in the past. See where Pixar is in 30 years and then we'll talk. There's no way to know if Pixar will do well without Disney (I believe they will) but Disney has done well without Pixar. I will wait until I hear all the details and see the finished product. The casting is probably the most important aspect and I would expect Disney to do anything possible to retain the original cast. Toy Story 3 will be Disney's most important project in the coming years.

I think people are taking their hatred towards Disney too seriously and it seems like they are rooting for them to fail. This is unfortunate. I honestly can't imagine a world without Disney so I will be looking forward to Toy Story 3 and hope that it gets the proper treatment it deserves.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Well see, I felt like that initially about T3 and Cameron... but I let it go by this time last year, got even pumped about it, gave it a chance, and it ended up being perhaps the best movie I saw last summer. I absolutely loved it and find it a worthy addition.

that is a good point, and to be honest, i had pretty much the same feelings about T3. I still dont think its ranks up there with Camerons work, how could it, after all, Jonathan Mostow doesnt quite have the same sense of epic granduer to his films as JC does. Still, watching a Toy Story film without the likes of a Tim Allen or Hanks providing the voices, in a major theatrical release, would be disapointing. Even though there is no Toy Story 3 yet, or even likely to be one i'd say, I can't help thinking that this would be a bad idea right from the outset. I hope Disney sees sense.

They probably won't though.

Jim J

Second Unit
yeah, well, I'd like to sit it out too if it's not Pixar, but!

Once the kids hear about it, how are you going to tell them no? My son is 4 now. He is on a bit of a TtTE stint right now, but he always loves Toy Story. Couple years down the road, there will be little to do to get him to not to want to see it. Sure we might all be disappointed. I'm not looking forward to explaining why the voices are all different (if they are). hey, Have you seen those crap Buzz Lightyear cartoons?

interesting, slightly off topic:
Disney bought Baby einstein company few years back. 1st release after was not bad, but dadn't have the same charm and concept as the earlier, uh, episodes(?). Well I think they are getting better, back to what they once were. But I noticed something. latest release is Baby MacDonald. All about the farm, and farm animals and such. This right before release of that latest Disney animated movie about the Farm. Also a recent release was Baby Neptune. All about fish and the sea. that one came out right before Finding Nemo was released. Disney really working those synergies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks