1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tower Records' High Prices

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lee Scoggins, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Well-Known Member

Lee
    I wondered if any of you have notices how outrageously expensive Tower's prices have been lately.

I was in the Atlanta location this weekend and after nearly a year of prices from $14.99 to $16.99 on SACDs & DVDAs the prices are now at $19.99 and many at $24.99. This will prove to be a big problem for the adoption of hirez. They raised the CCR SACDs from $18 to $25! [​IMG]

I also noticed really high prices in the redbook aisles, with many of the ones I wanted going from $17 to $18.

I am really disappointed they have done this given that Universal is lowering prices.

Music at these prices is truly uncompetitive with any other entertainment. No wonder people are buying DVDs instead with their $20.

Video killed the radio star, indeed. [​IMG]

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Well-Known Member

You must have been lucky down around Atlanta. Up here in the Philadelphia region, Tower's regular rpices have been MSRP from day one. The only time you find a SACD or DVD-A on sale is when they have one of those rare 25% off sales a couple times a year. No wonder they are constantly in financial trouble.

J

3. Seth--L

Seth--L Well-Known Member

They're cheaper online.

4. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Well-Known Member

Their DVD prices are terrible, too. I only go in there when there's a sale.

They do have a very good selection, though. Much better than most B&M's.

5. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Well-Known Member

Joseph E Fisher
    I remember in 1979 when Tower Records opened in NYC on 4th & Broadway. I would travel down once a week to get what I needed & at the time there prices on LP's where about $3-$4 cheaper then most places. Even when CD's came out in 1985 the prices where still $2-$3 cheaper then most major chain music retailers. But over the coarse of time Tower raised there prices to the same or higher as many of the other chains. I wouldn't even get a DVD from them as there "Sale" prices are still higher them most B&M's everyday prices. I haven't walked into a Tower Records store in 8 years and wouldn't miss them if they went under.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This is no surprise. What is a surprise is that people are either paying the high prices, or Towers has cheap rent.

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Well-Known Member

Before I entered the computer age I used to buy my laserdiscs from them since they were pretty much the only game in town besides Suncoast (who had a very limited selection). I guess nowadays there's just so much competition around who don't have to rely solely on inflated disc prices to survive. I wonder how much longer they can hold out with their full retail pricing.