What's new

Total Recall - your interpretation? (spoiler alert!) (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In my opinion it's undecided.

The whole point of the film is: that one cannot know. The "reminder" at the end is meant to direct us back to that fact - but the answer simply cannot be given. Everything that seems to have happened in the movie could have happened in reality - or indeed be a false memory.

The message of the movie is that once such a technology comes into existence, we'll never know anymore. Never. So neither do we about the movie (well I do know it's a film....).

Cees

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Granted, I have not watched the film that many times, but I personally at this point go with the reality view solely because there are scenes that do not revolve around Arnold. The scenes with Kohagen outside of Arnold, as they debate what to do with him after they've captured him, when they find out he's reached Mars, etc. say it is probably really happening. If it had been only Arnold, never leaving him, don't know where I would be, but scenes happening independently of Arnold, with characters he hasn't met yet, not sure he could dream that up.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
If it had been only Arnold, never leaving him, don't know where I would be, but scenes happening independently of Arnold, with characters he hasn't met yet, not sure he could dream that up.
Chris, he doesn't need to dream anything up, it's all implanted into his head. Also, those scenes are played out for our benefit, not Quaid's. He has no idea that those discussions take place. The result of filming strictly the portions of the 'ego trip' memory implant that he experienced wouldn't work as a film. In the translation to the screen we have to make allowances for the necessity of a narrative.
One other thing I forgot to mention, what an unbelievable score! Absolutely fantastic. It must sound great in 5.1.
Enjoy this:
[c]Link Removed
Captured by John Rice.[/c]

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
If it had been only Arnold, never leaving him, don't know where I would be, but scenes happening independently of Arnold, with characters he hasn't met yet, not sure he could dream that up.
Haven't you ever had dreams where you are a non-participating, unseen observer? I know that I have had dreams where I knew certain things about what was going on even though there was no logical reason for it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
In the commentary Verhoeven keeps going on about it being a dream and that Quaid is still strapped to the Rekall machine, and Arnie doesn't seem too happy with that interpretation, preferring that it's all really happening and that he really is saving Mars, also in the commentary Verhoeven adds that the whiteout before the end credits was to signify that Quaid was ultimately lobotomised because his Rekall 'trip' malfunctioned and f*cked him up badly.
Hmmm a bit of a downer there Paul, I'll stick to the 'it really happened' interpretation thanks.:emoji_thumbsup:

I've seen this movie quite a few times and I have come to the conclusion (not based on any particular evidence - just my thoughts) that the whole thing is a dream. Everything from the opening credits on. His normal life, his wife, everything. His normal every day "joe schmoe" life is a recall fantasy and inside that fantasy he visits recall which is when everything goes to hell. Starting some sort of feedback loop. Just a thought. :)
- J

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Has anyone noticed how similar this story is to Vanilla Sky? the whole "when did the dream start and reality end" thing... At first, I thought that they both used the same short story. Not the case; but it would be interesting to see how similar the short stories are.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Starting some sort of feedback loop.
That's an interesting idea. It does make it complicated beyond belief to sort out in your mind though. I.e. where would Quaid's dream at the beginning slot in. Is he dreaming within the Rekall dream of the future Rekall dream he is to undertake?
[c]Another of John Rice's great captures.
Link Removed
"Hey man I've got five kids to feed."[/c]

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Well, the other thing I though of would be that it's a dream because everyone knows you don't really explode if you get depresssurized in a vacuum. Therefore, the explosion of Kohagen, and near explosion of Arnold and the girl, means it HAS to be made up (or Verhoeven just made a mistake :) )

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
everyone knows you don't really explode if you get depresssurized in a vacuum
Uhh, then I guess the people who made "Outland" didn't know this.:D
I think the whole thing was a dream because everyone knows that you can't implant memories of vacations you never took.:rolleyes:I mean, really, you can't make a blanket statement that it must be a dream because something is or is not possible. It is a movie! Anything is possible as long as it fits the rules established by the film itself. Otherwise, Star Trek would be deemed too silly because 99% of the elements that the plots depend upon don't exist.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
Just watched this tonight, first time in awhile. Put me in the positive it's a dream camp. Upon rewatching the scene with the Dr. confronting Arnold any doubt was gone for me, about every last word he says is spot on.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Don't forget Quaid was regularly dreaming of Mars and Melina before he went to Rekall. He was already married to a gorgeous babe, why would he be having recurring dreams of trotting around on Mars (of all places) with a mystery girl, a bit odd wouldn't you say?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I just read through this entire thread and I must say that this is a very interesting debate. I have always thought that the events taking place were real, even though I did catch the "Blue skies on Mars" line and Melina on the monitor. But I just felt that they were just red herrings. But after reading this thread and thinking about it I'm beginning to change my mind.

I also agree with the comments made by Michael Taylor about dreams. I always have dreams where I'm not around but am privy to conversations from people who I have never met. Very strange.

And yes, I have noticed the similarities between Total Recall and Vanilla Sky.
They would make a nice double feature.

I think I'll go out and pick this one up. Its been a while since I have seen it. Plus, BB by my house has the non-monkey butt edition for $12.99.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
why would he be having recurring dreams of trotting around on Mars (of all places) with a mystery girl, a bit odd wouldn't you say?
To me, this is a decoy, falsely suggesting that the events are real. The walk on Mars with Melina at the beginning is a dream. Are you telling me you've never had a bizarre dream, featuring a mystery woman? ;) I had a dream last night that I was in South America during an earthquake. Does that mean I must've experienced it for real?
The fact that he has a skizoid embellism (sp?), means that he can mould the rekall-trip to his specifications. So seeing the same woman in the ego-trip isn't strange at all. Also, he specifies that he prefers brunettes, so fantasising brunettes when you're married to a blonde also isn't strange.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched this movie and haven't seen it in ages. I forgot most of it, but here are my thoughts, i still don't know if it was a dream, but think it would be alot cooler if it was!

Don't forget Quaid was regularly dreaming of Mars and Melina before he went to Rekall. He was already married to a gorgeous babe, why would he be having recurring dreams of trotting around on Mars (of all places) with a mystery girl, a bit odd wouldn't you say?
The dream he had was just that, a dream. He dreamt about some girl, he dreamt about mars, and he was intrigued by both. So what girl did he naturally pick when he went to recall, the girl he has been fantasizing about in his dream. And thus goes to mars in his dream.

It was the whole blue skies thing and the description of his adventure, BEFORE he fell asleep in the chair the first time that described everything that happened in the movie afterwards (people trying to kill him, saving mars, etc.) that made me wonder if it was all a dream.

I still think the ending, though leaving room for interpretation, still forced the general audience to think it was real....

Anyways, watching it and just having fun with it made me like it more than i remembered it...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
For all you know, right now you're strapped in a chair somewhere fantasizing this whole life.
Naw, I requested Josie Maran as my companion. My second choice was an 18 year old, blond hair, blue-eyed Playboy Model. :D
Seriously, I slightly lean towards reality, because I can't explain why we would see Houser or Quaid spazz out at Rekall if it was a dream indeed. Or why Quaid would feel pain at all in a recollection. It's a weak argument, I know, but I'm working on Med School applications right now.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
"Mr. Quaide can you hear yourself? She's real because you dreamed her?"

"What's bullshit Mr. Quaide? That your having a paranoid episode triggered by acute neuro-chemical trauma, or that you're really an invincible secret agent from Mars who is the victim of an interplanitary conspiracy to make him think he's a lowly construction worker?"

Those quotes about make a heck of a lot of sense, but the Doctor's final lines nail it home IMO:

(1)One minute you'll be the savior of the rebel cause, and the next thing you know (2)you'll be Cohagen's busom buddy. You'll even have fantasies about (3)alien civilizations, as you requested, but in the end back on earth (4)you'll be lobotomized."

Pretty much the flow of the plot exactly from that point on. 1-2-3 and then the movie ends. I can only assume 4 is how we can assume the movie really ends.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it is a dream. The doctor sweating from Rekall keeps coming up, but other than him telling you that he is from Rekall, how do we know that? I believe he is just part of the simulation as operative that is just using the whole Rekall thing as a trick. Arnie is just playing out his "Mind trip".

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Total Recall is my all-time favorite Arnold movie. I agree the movie becomes more interesting and compelling if viewed as a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks