What's new

Toshiba SD-V291 DVD+VCR (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
My parents just upgraded there TV from a 1979 JC Penney (RCA manu?) 25 inch console to a new Toshiba 24 inch flat screen. But even without DVD, they are astounded w/the improvement in picture quality!
(I know, but they think anything over 25 inches is too big ::thumbsdown: LOL.)

They are VCR less since there VCR broke down (they have quite a few VHS tapes.) and have never had a DVD player,
so today as a b-day gift for my dad, I picked up the Toshiba SD-V291 DVD/VCR combo player for a good deal at BB...since he would not want 2 seperate units.
Looked solidly built for its price, well as a good name brand.
No reviews on audioreview.com nor could I find any on the net.

Anyone out there used this unit?
Thoughts please.
Thanks!

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dean,

I've had one of these for about a month and it has already crapped out. The VCR part still works, but I get a message that reads "C007" when I try and use the DVD.
The new issue of DVD ETC. has an article on DVD/VCR combos, you might want to check it out.

Good luck,
Aaron

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Wow:thumbsdown:, thanks for the tip Aaron.
Maybe I should exchange it?
Thoughts anyone else who have owened it?

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
hi,
still have it in the box.
the old mans b-day is this wed.
a co-worker owns one as well, and has had no probs.
we will see.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Hooked it up for him lastnight.
Everything works.
DVD's look great via S-Video, and VHS looks like decent VHS quality (wtf VHS quality?).
Would be nice if VHS could be routed through the S-Video output as well so one video connection could be made, but I cannot let him watch DVD via the coax or composite cable, now can I? (composite is being used for VHS)

The remote(s) however is a nightmare.
Remote advice wanted on the proper forum http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=174216 please.

Bill Spahn

Auditioning
If you want to view the VHS over the S-Video connection you'll need to get a combo player with SVHS. The only one I could find is the JVC HR-XVS44U DVD/VCR Combo. I picked this up recently and it works pretty well. The remote is layed out logically and the case is made of metal and not plastic like my previous JVC VCR (probably for heat dissipation).

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks