What's new

Toshiba RPTV + Xbox/PS2 = Full mode? (1 Viewer)

Mark Yatchak

Agent
When playing PS2 games, full mode seems to work best. I would assume the Xbox/component combo would require full mode 100% of the time. Do you agree?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Unless the game has a widescreen mode, I've been using TW1. Takes a little off the top & bottom, but there is less distortion.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Don't know about your Toshibas, but on my Pioneer I expect that I won't have a choice in the matter, since the set locks in Full mode when it receives a progressive-scan signal. Sure hope Full mode does an okay job, because I don't have any other options...
I'm not sure if the Toshibas ever had the lock-in-full problem or not, but it may be something to keep in mind if you have a set that's a few years old.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Time to demonstrate my ignorance...
I've got a widescreen Toshiba (TW40F80, I think) non-HDTV. It has component inputs, and I've been thinking of picking up the HD kit when I do eventually get an Xbox so that I can use the component and optical inputs. My question is, basically, will the connector work on my TV at all and is my TV capable of displaying progressive scan?

Mark Yatchak

Agent
Jason,
Yes, buy the adapter. Guy's, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Xbox is capable of progressive scan when playing games. Your TV simply receives the signal. Progressive scan is done from the hardware (DVD player, Xbox, etc..) As I understand, most games will come in at 480P, some future games will ring in at 1080i. I hope this helps.
[Edited last by Mark Yatchak on November 13, 2001 at 12:00 PM]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But can my relatively ancient Tosh handle progressive, or is that an HDTV-only thing? I've got a strong desire to make my brothers drool when I see them over the holidays :)
[Edited last by Jason Seaver on November 13, 2001 at 12:14 PM]

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
That's pretty close. Progressive scanning is indeed done by the Xbox or DVD player, but it's important to know that your TV must accept progressively scanned data as well. The presence of component in's on a TV does not automatically mean it can accept a progressive signal (although it's a good sign, since right now prog-scan signals are sent only via component cables). However, I'm almost positive the Tosh model you mention does accept progressive-scanning, so you should be fine. I'm sure you can do a search in the Hardware section on your model number to confirm that.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Damn, man, sorry about that. I was just doing a little reading about your model and reached the same conclusion.
Should still look pretty amazing, though. My DVD player lets me switch from progressive to interlaced scanning on the fly, and most times I can barely tell the difference. It certainly isn't something you'll miss dearly if you don't have it.
Scant comfort, I know...
frown.gif

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
My DVD player lets me switch from progressive to interlaced scanning on the fly, and most times I can barely tell the difference.

Because your TV has a line doubler that converts the interlace signal to a progressive picture.
------------------

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yes, I know that. But I'm assuming Jason's does, too. Maybe that's a bad assumption? I guess I'm just trying to say that the difference between my set's internal line doubler and the progressively-scanned image from my DVD player is pretty slight, and so hopefully Jason won't be missing too much by not having a progressively scanned Xbox image on his Toshiba.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Every progressive-compatible set has a line doubler. The only ones that even have an optional 480i mode is a couple of old panasonic models.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The difference between progressive & interlace will vary from tv to tv, due to the different line doublers. There is a slight difference on my Toshiba, but a large difference on a familiy member's Mitsubishi.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks