What's new

Toshiba/RCA HD-DVD owners very satisfied (1 Viewer)

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
yep definitely let us know what you think about the Samsung Player, how does it measure to the A1. Is it worth the 1000 clams right now?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Wasn't that one of the bad titles? Or am I imagining? I remember people saying it had transfer problems. If you want to really impress your friend show him one of the better transfers.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Training Day is a good one to wow people with. Perfect Storm looks good if you A/B it with the standard DVD.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Perfect Storm looked great to me but all of the dark scenes might mitigate the wow factor. Bourne Supremacy looks fantastic, but Last Samuari takes the prize for me with the sprawling green Japanese countryside...absolutely breathtaking.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Perfect Storm is probably one of the worst looking of all the HD-DVD titles. It is one of the 3 that came from an interlaced master and WB screwed up the deinterlacing big time. Blazing Saddles, POTO, Swordfish, or any of the Universal discs are much better demo choices.

Ted

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
As a follow-up to my demo of the HD-A1 last night. I took the time to make sure everything on my TV was adjusted and turned it on about 30 minutes prior to my demo so that the set was operating optimally. Well, even though a couple of you said it isn't a great demo disc, the Perfect Storm looks incredible on my Hitachi Projection TV. I think the worst HD-DVD title is by far "The Fugitive." Last night, we took a trip over to Circuit City and I purchased Last Samurai, Cinderella Man, Doom, Serenity and U-571 (I need a second job). I also purchased Van Helsing and I don't even care much for the movie... Well his discomfort was pretty obvious. He isn't sure what he is gonna do and he thinks the Blue Ray issues are strictly Samsung's problems. If he returns the Samsung, I think he will be feverishly looking for an HD-DVD unit rather than taking another chance on a SONY or Pioneer.

Personally, I am so sold on HD-DVD that I currently have about 100 DVDs for sale on Ebay (including some of the standard DVD titles that I now own on HD-DVD).

Here is is an interesting article about an HD Poll at DVD Town you folks might wanna give a quick read.
DVD Town

My DVD and HD-DVD Collection

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I stated earlier in other threads, I think the Samsung player is taking the hit for the shortcomings of some of the released software. Sony ought to be ashamed of themselves for messing this rollout up further by not supplying the Samsung with some decent PQ media. A terrible job by them, thus, people are assuming the Samsung player isn't up to snuff.

I'm keeping my Samsung along with the Toshiba HD-XA1 because I think things will be getting better for both formats, though, the Blu-ray software hit might be slower improving due to Sony's obstinance.

Crawdaddy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The BD isssue is more so a software one then Samsung. The player has issues but it's only projecting what it's reading. Sony needs to get away from mpeg2. Once they do that hopefully their PQ will match that of HD-DVD, but until then, stay away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks