What's new

Toshiba plunge (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I walked into a local retailer and walked out with a Toshiba 42hdx82 for 1400.00. I was looking at the Panasonic 47wx42 (which the store had for 1300.00) for quite some time but was waffling over DVI and a screen protector. I mentioned the new Panasonic models having both and the salesman offered the Toshiba for the price of the 42h82. I'm pretty confident I got a good deal for a good television. Any thoughts out there? Or just well wishes? ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Congrats! Sounds like you got a nice deal for a good TV. :emoji_thumbsup: If I was in your shoes, I'd probably go that route too although I would want something bigger like the 50".

_Man_

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, now I'm in a bit of a quandry. I found out about a flicker issue with the hdx82 models and am considering going back to the Panasonic. Fortunately I haven't picked up the unit yet.

I haven't noticed any posts on the flicker problem here, but I found a lengthy thread on the subject over at Home Theater Spot. I am pretty sure I can do without DVI, given my tendency to watch/purchase DVDs and am very particular about television shows. My main concern is the lack of screen protection. I don't have any kids or pets, but then I know that stuff happens. Any advice?

ColinW

Agent
For what its worth I have a Tosh 57HDX82 and it has about 200 horus on it since I bought it 5weeks ago with NO sign of flicker or bursts or anything else. That thread at the Home Theatre Spot had me freaked out, but it seems that the problem is that of a VERY vocal minority. I am hoping that is the case and it won't be a problem for me.

The picture on my Tosh is excellent and I am enjoying it very much. I am sure you will enjoy your new TV as well.

Colin

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...decisions decisions. I did pick up a sort of squeaky wheel thing going on there (no offense to anyone who has the problem). I did see a post that complained of how few signed the petition, which might indicate how common the problem actually is.

I'm still thinking about the Panasonic though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
After much debate with a friend and the salesmen I decided to stick with the Toshiba. I probably would have gone with the Panasonic if the store had them in stock. By that point I wasn't interested in waiting and was willing to take the risk.

At Home Theater Spot there was a list of the manufacture dates of units having problems. The latest date on the list was December 02. Mine was put together just last month, so that could either be a good or bad thing. Not quite sure. Overall I've decided not too stress about it and enjoy what I have.

I am very pleased with the picture quality. I think like most other new RPTV owners it took me a bit to get accustomed to it, but after adjusting the convergence more carefully and calibrating with VE I have to say it's rather impressive. I'm also glad I didn't get anything larger than a 42" because I had to push my seating back to an 8' distance for the picture to look smooth.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I have the 57HDX82. Bro-in law the 50HDX82 and a good friend has the 65HDX82 and we all have and excelent set, no problems. The 50" is the oldest has had it since the start of Feb 03. The 57" since the start of March. The 65" since start of April.

Pick up a copy of AVIA and calibrate that baby and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks