What's new

Toshiba or Panasonic? (1 Viewer)

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at a 42inch DLP Toshiba and a Panasonic 52inch LCD. Either size would be fine. I am thinking more in terms of technology and reliabilty in that technology. Any clues? DLP or LCD rptv? Thanks

Rolando

Screenwriter
Allow me

First a few questions, we need to know the answer to the usual questions like:

What will be it's primary use? Movies? TV? Games? all equally?
What room, budget and lighting conditions?
What are you picky about?

For example If you are more into gaming and daytime HDTV watching I might say LCD.
For movie watching they say DLP produce better black and in the dark less to no SDE (Screen Door Effect).

I am a CRT guy so take my advice with a grain of salt but there are many experts here on these technologies and they can help provided they know the answer to these questions.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Well it will be for HD/digital cable, gaming and movies. Daytime watching will be sports and the TV. I have good control over the lighting in the room so it can have a low light effect at any given time. I want a good picture, sound is not an issue with my surround sound setup i have. Most of the TV's are in the same price range so cost is not the issue. I have had a 48 crt rptv in the room that i sold and a 32 inch lcd that i moved upstairs to the bedroom. My wife has given me the go ahead to buy. I am wondering about the reliablity of each brand and which is preferred.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
In that size/price range a much better choice than either the Toshiba or Panny would be an E-2000 series Sony LCD based rptv.

The 42 inch Tosh dlp is a "bastard" unit, shares nothing with the excellent 50 and 56 inch Toshiba HM66 series dlp sets, and I suspect is outsourced to another mfg as not even the remote is the same as that used by virtually all other Toshiba sets. Panasonic LCD rps all have the grayscale set way too far to the blue side of things to get anything like an accurate picture.

The E-2000 series Sonys are almost universally praised by owners for their reliability and excellent pq and can be had in 42, 46, 50, and 55 inch sizes ranging in price from 1299 to 1799, fully competitive with all but the cheapest bargain brands. Their one weakness is relatively poor sound quality but that's not a concern in your case.

Rolando

Screenwriter
yes forgot about the Toshiba outsourcing fo the 42...

In previous years their 42" had been a re-badged LG DLP RPTV.

Go minimum 50" on the Toshiba DLPs.

If cost is similar I would also agree on the Sony over the Panny for LCD RPTV. Ever since last year's A10 series 42" and 50" I thinkl they have LCD RPTVs down pat.

I have not however compared the Panny and Sony enough to tell you if a price difference of over $300 would be justified.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Went with your suggestions and went with the Sony 42 rp lcd. Other then the first one was shattered on the inside and they had to take it back. The set is beautiful and i was able to get it at 1099.00! Plus a 50 dollar gift card for the broken tv and half off the 5 year warranty. Thanks for all the advice and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks