What's new

Toshiba offering $100 instant rebates on HD DVD players (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
HD DVD Promotional Group Launches National Marketing and Retail Campaigns For Spring Promotion of HD DVD Format
In-cinema trailers expected reach of 30 million consumers on 12,000 screens nationwide; $100 rebate on select Toshiba players bring price to an industry-first $299.99*

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The HD-A2 is $320 at Amazon right now. So for $220, next week someone will be able to get it and five movies. That puts it about in line with a good upconverting player.

I just sent this to my brother who just bought a new HDTV. Man, I felt so clever getting my HD-A1 for $450 last August...

shockemags

Agent
Real Name
Joe Johnson
Very cool. Thanks.

Any way to get $100 off if I buy the HD-DVD Player here...

vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/487678362

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Toshiba certainly looks like they are not taking any prisoners. This is agressive pricing from Tosh...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's listed as $277 at Amazon right now: $100 rebate makes it $177. Is it known for sure that the rebate will be available via Amazon, who is actually providing sell-through for Electronics Expo?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I am not pro HD DVD or Blu-ray. I am waiting for either one to "win" (don't care which), or for more combo players.

But with that said ... :)

This brings a smile to my face, because if Toshiba had any issues with the supply of these players not meeting demand, they most certainly would not be offering a deal like this. Almost seems to me, that they have units they can't sell, so they're dropping the price.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yeah well that is one direction you can spin it towards.
but why bother who cares really.
it is just on sale for a great price buy it if you want it.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Might actually have to upgrade to the HD-XA2 earlier than I had planned.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If you are going through Amazon, the rebate is probably only good on one actually purchased from Amazon, and not through any of the other sellers that list on Amazon. That is my guess...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the xa-2 is under $600 now at amzon before $100 rebate.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Same could be said at Panasonic cutting there price in half, or Pioneer knocking 500 off theirs. Truth be told, it is a great marketing ploy from Toshiba as they try to find the price point that brings HD out of the 'Elite' crowd and start moving it into the general consumer group. Along with this, the HD org will be advertising the product in theaters soon, including the much anticipated Spiderman 3. That is irony.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who expects to see Amazon's price go up when the rebate appears, making the deal effectively the same as what we see now? I hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to have a player in the bedroom. I'm just trying not to get too excited.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

I know that the HTF has a relationship with Value Electronics, and they seem to have offered some great deals before. I wonder what their price will be this weekend?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Oh, they already are. When I saw Spidey 3 on the first Sunday of release, there was a big ol' Matrix trilogy ad that specifically mentioned the Xbox 360 player and Toshiba players. That had to annoy Sony a little.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There is some speculation that the rebate will only be enough to get the price down to $299. For instance if a dealer is selling it for MSRP ($399) the rebate will be $100. If someone is selling it for $325, the rebate will be $26, getting the price down to $299. No word on if this is true or if it is $100 off your best price (like we are hoping). We will have to see what VE does as they will be participating, but the HTF price is already $299...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's a great chance to get a really marvellous machine (if only for the upconversion of SDVD) at an extremely reasonable price. No matter what your preference (if any) in the "format war" be.

Cees

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Good point! Plus, if you don't want to purchase HD-DVD's you can just rent them from Netflix! So you get a *great* upconverting DVD player -*and * you can still enjoy the occasional true 1080p HD-DVD disc.

I was about to give up on HD-DVD due to Disney and Fox's stance with BD, but with this move the HD-DVD camp now has "the blood in the water" so to speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks