What's new

Toshiba DLP chip replacement (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So my 65HM167 is well into Constellation Mode (where the DLP chip is dying, one mirror at a time). A replacement chip is pretty reasonable (~$150 and a DIY job), but some places online imply that Toshibas may also require a whole new DMD board. I've poked around (and emailed a couple places) but haven't gotten a straight answer about that, or if it's true how much it would cost or how much of a DIY job it would be.
Has anyone here replaced a Toshiba DLP chip? What was your experience?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The reason why nobody recommends "not replacing the DMD board"(and it is "all of them", brand irrelevant) is because the DMD board itself is made better than when the TV was new.

There were two problems with (non-Mitsubishi made)DLP TV...

1. Manufacturers buying non-French bulbs.
2. Buying DMD from "fly-by-night" vendors...on the cheap.

Now, none of the "fly-by-night" are around anymore.

So...if you replace your DMD...you essentially make your Toshiba as good as Mitsubishi always have been.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, I don't even think if this were a Mits you can even buy "just the chip" without it being the entire DMD. A couple years ago, Mitsubishi was suing everybody to oblivian over trying to sell the "chip" for $120, when you could buy the entire DMD for $160...directly from Mits.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Hope they still support the sets now that they're out of the business. I love my 60" Mitsu set and want to keep it going a long time...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's not so much that they aren't recommending not changing the board, it's that they offer the chip for sale, with a note that you might need to replace the whole board, but they don't offer the board for sale! (At least, not that I could find.)

They still haven't responded to my email. Sigh. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Update: Bought the chip (no board) from a vendor on eBay and installed it. It took about 3 hours, 2 of which were spent dusting components. Seriously, it's a wonder the thing worked at all with all those bunnies in there! The job wasn't difficult; I just took my time and followed some videos that I found on YouTube.

The image is fine now, although there is some weird ghostly stuff appearing on the black screen that appears briefly while changing inputs. I think it might be some residue or something on the chip, but I can't see it except during input changes, even when I'm looking for it and when there's black on the screen. So it's not worth trying to take the thing apart again; it's more likely I'd break or dirty something else than that I'd do anything about the weirdness.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I also have a 65HM167 and have had a replacement chip for a while but haven't installed it yet. Nice to hear it can be DIY. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Mitsubishi DLP's have their own problems that aren't all that DIY. Had to toss my 52631. Bummer.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm just glad there are good TV repair places near me in LA, so hope to keep my Mitsu DLP going for years to come

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I had the Mitsibishi "Blinking Light Of Death" problem. Mitsubishi was no help. Local repair shops said $350-$500+ to diagnose and repair it (for how long) so I dumped it and bought a 58" Panasonic plasma. It was a shame because the 52631 was an excellent tv. The Toshiba also has a fine picture but not as many features and adjustments.

Of course, not all Mitsu DLP's have this problem so hopefully you have a good one. I didn't.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I had a Mitsu 55" CRT RPTV prior to the Toshiba (55613, IIRC). The motherboard died after around 3-4 years and I was told it would cost over $1100 to replace. I'd heard of Mitsu reliability issues from other people and decided to look elsewhere. Around that time (maybe 2007 or 2008) I paid in the $1500 range for the new 65" Toshiba. Since then I've replaced the bulb once ($99) and now the chip ($157).

FWIW, a local repair shop told me that the chip replacement would run well over $600.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks