What's new

Toshiba 65HDX82 Connection Question (1 Viewer)

Jim Rykel

Agent
I just took delivery of a new 65HDX82 yesterday ($2550 from ABC Warehouse). DVD picture is fantastic, but my DirectTV pic is pretty horrible. I don't have a high-def receiver, just a Sony SATB55. Hooked up using S-Video my picture is way too fuzzy, detail is terrible.

I've calibrated best I could with the S&V disc, and as I said, the picture from my Tosh 4800 DVD is incredible.

Any suggestions? Am I just going to have to deal with this until I get a better HDTV receiver?

Thanks for any input...

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Amazing price on that set....no input on directtv because I don't have that. But I was considering the 57H82 for $2500!

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
I think you've found out the DirecTV does not have a great picture once you blow it up to 65 inches. The problem is that you start with not always a very good signal, then add the compression from DirecTV, and you end up with something that doesn't look very good. Calibrating the TV helps, but only so far. On the other hand, the HD signals from DirecTV can look pretty good, again depending on whether the material is true HD or upconverted.

SMK

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have direct TV, but I do have digital cable thru Time Warner. I've noticed a wide variety of picture qualities on my box. Some channels (usually the cable networks) are very clear while others (usually the broadcast channels carried by TWC) are pretty poor.

Jim Rykel

Agent
Thanks for the replies - I think your'e right Steve; my eyes aren't prepared for a 65 inch picture from a mediocre source.

Anyone think I'd be better off stepping down to a 57 or 53"?

Jason Hartman

Auditioning
Here's on tip you might want to try.

My Comcast digital cable STB is connected to my Tosh 65hdx82 via both coax cable into Ant 1 and s-video in Video 1. For most channels, the coax/Ant 1 connection looks much better!

I don't know if this is possible with your sat box but its worth a shot. Lots of other Tosh users have noticed the same thing. ??? Strange.

Jason

Michael BC

Auditioning
I have the 57HDX82 and DirecTV. Initially, I was not enamored with the picture quality of DirecTV on my set. After tweaking the settings, DSS does look better- it also helps to sit ~13ft from the screen. I sit closer for DVDs.

The signal varies considerably from station to station and from show to show. Some shows on ESPN look very good while others look pretty bad. I have the NFL Sunday Ticket and watched several games last weekend- the Cowboys-Carolina game looked OK (marginal) while the Packers-Patriots and the Raiders-Rams games looked very good (I believe those games were national feeds and are allocated better resourses, which tends to lead to better image quality). Same thing with NHL hockey.

I have had the set for only 5 days, however I like the picture from DirecTV better and better each day. BTW, TheaterWide 1 is a very good stretch mode compared to the competition (based on in-store comparisons).

steve_brucher

Auditioning
I also purchased my 65HDX82 from ABC warehouse and paid $2550 for it. It's odd that whenever I posted a note to pricecheck against the competition people thought I was crazy, Especially if you have never heard of ABC.
I get exactly the same thing watching sports. The picture is terrible on panoramic shots and acceptable on close ups. There must be something we can do to improve the signal. Has anyone tried using the dual Winegaurd dishes to point at the sattelites seperately and then mixed the signal downpath? I read an article in The Perfect Vision (I think) and they said that was the cat's #$$%#@!

Jack

Agent
Do either of you that own the 65hdx82 own a HD receiver?? Wondering if that got you a better picture with Direct tv..

Im about to make the plundge, guess I will wait.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks