1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 65H83 problem... I'm scared

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BretWeaver, Apr 26, 2004.

1. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Well-Known Member

I bought a toshiba 65H83 at sears about 7 months ago and lately (in the lase couple of months) I've noticed that sometimes, most often while watching DVDs or HDTV, it looks like the black is flashing to a red/brown and back to black... not on a regular pattern but like there is a loose cable connection. I've checked all my connections so I know thats not it, plus it does it with both DVDs and HDTV (I have dvd running thru DVI and HDTV thru component) so I'm thinking it has to be a problem with the TV. I haven't calibrated it via sound and vision but I have done it by eye so the brightness level and contrast level are not at show room settings. What do you guys think?

EDIT: One more thing... on movies with the THX splash screen I notice that I dont get the blue border bar on the far right of the screen... so it looks to me like my projector in the rear of the set is out of alignment. Again, what does this sound like to the experts?

Bret

TV: Toshiba 65H83
    Reciever: Onkyo 700
    DVD player: Samsung HD931
    Fronts: Polk RTi70
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Rears: Polk FXi30
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10

2. JimmyK

JimmyK Well-Known Member

Jim
  3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Well-Known Member

The flicker issue was specifically related to the impregnated cathode CRT design used in the Cinema Series sets, so this isn't exactly the same problem, but there's definitely something amiss. A service call is in order here.

4. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Well-Known Member

When I called toshiba to report the question they asked where I had purchased it from. When I told them sears they said that they couldn't service the unit as sears buys the service right to their products when they sell them and I would have to contact sears. I haven't been able to get through to sears yet but is this bull or the truth?

Bret

TV: Toshiba 65H83
    Reciever: Onkyo 700
    DVD player: Samsung HD931
    Fronts: Polk RTi70
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Rears: Polk FXi30
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10

5. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Well-Known Member

That's very possible. We have a Panasonic microwave purchased from Sears and any warranty work has to be done by Sears for the reason you mentioned. Sears probably gets special pricing because of this policy. The manufacturer doesn't have to do any warranty work on those lines and therefore can sell to Sears for less.

Larry

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Well-Known Member

Larry is exactly correct.