What's new

Toshiba 57HDX82 vs. Sony KP57WV700? (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
My dealer didn't let me try both TV. I bought the Sony first with a 30 days "no question ask" policy. After 2 weeks, the other dealer, one of my customers, came at my pharmacy, and heard me telling someone I just bought a giant Sony. I didn't knew this dude was a dealer!! He then told me he was selling Tosh, and he REALLY insist that I give it a try. So for 4200$ Cdn, I said: send this baby up, and we will see (I know him well, so I told him that if the Tosh was better, I would keep it). So I called the first dealer to pick-up the Sony BEFORE receiving the Tosh (2 65" screen in the same room was putting me nervous... claustrophobic sensation...). But they were 3 hours late, so my Tosh dealer (was there to deliver the Tosh personnally with 4 guys!!!), ask me if he could set-up both and compare them (he's the passionnate type). We had 3 hours with both.

Sorry for the long story, but having both was more luck then plan.

On SD, I would give a 8 to the Sony. The HD picture was maybe, and I emphasize MAYBE, more "sharp" on the Sony. And maybe a little bit less grainy.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Levesque,

Wow, you really lucked out, what a perfect scenario. Thanks for your assessment of the SD and HD comparisons.

How would you rank the dvd playback color for the Sony when compared to the Toshiba? Same scale as before, Toshiba being a 10 out of 10.

I like the grey bars, rather than black. The salesman explained that grey will not "burn in" as black will, over time.
Dick,

That never even entered my mind. I suppose this would be true but I would still like the option to change the 4:3 vertical grey bars black. I wonder if something like this could be done in the service menu? I can live with it since 75% of my viewing will be anamorphic dvds. It's going to be wonderful to re-experience my 400+ dvd collection.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
It's tough to say, because both sets were not really burn-in. But I taught the Tosh was better handling DVD, but maybe my brain was fouled by the lower price on the Tosh...;) I'm kidding. My wife was there, and we both tought the Tosh was slightly better with DVD's, and colors more vivid with the Tosh.
But it's my humble opinion. Don't take any decision on my own words only please! I would really feel guilty! Try to decide by yourself the one you prefer. Men, you are going to spend around 5000$! NEVER make a choice by listening to ANY posters, please.

David Glenn

Second Unit
My decision has already been made but I have to admit, I would have loved the oppourtunity that you had to view both sets side by side in my own HT environment.

I'm sure your comments in this thread will be useful to others who have not made a decision yet. And yes, one should never make a decision based soley on others opinions, but a few reliable opinions doesn't hurt when trying to narrow down the field.

Thanks again for your feedback.

ThomasR

Auditioning
I received my Toshiba 57HDX82 on Saturday and I am very happy with it so far.
"Theater Wide 1" actually makes 4:3 material (cable) almost look natural while filling the whole screen.
The picture on DVD is terrific.

The only complaint I have has to do with the picture adjustments in the menu. While there are plenty of them and each source can be set seperately, the entire menu stays on the screen. You can not isoltate, say the "Brightness" or "Sharpness" adjustments by themselves, so it's a little hard to see test images when changing settings.

If someone knows how to change this, please let me know.

I primarily bought the Toshiba because of the great price I got on it. I was interested in the Toshiba 57HDX82, Sony 57WV600 and WV700, Hitachi 57SW and Mits 411 or 511 models.

I think these are all fine products and each has it's own set of strengths and weaknesses. But I got the Toshiba for $700 LESS than the Hitachi or Sony WV600 and about $1000 less than the Sony WV700 (which with a List price of $4000 is WAY OVER PRICED).
The Mits 411 would have been slightly less than the Toshiba and the 511 (with an HDTV tuner built in) is not availible yet.

I also do not like the cabinet on the Sony sets.I don't like the silver front, the plastic back and REALLY don't like the fact that you can not put a normal sized Center Channel speaker on it.I owned a Sony RP set for 5 years and never had a problem with it, so as far as I know they make a good product.

I am also disappointed with the Sony because of the lack of space for a center channel speaker. I have a Bose center channel speaker, which is narrow and curved, on top of it, but it barely fits and hangs over front and back. I had planned on using the new Sony TV as the center channel, as I had done with my old Sony set very satisfactorily. However, I was surprised to find out that the Sony 65" has no Audio Input jacks. Does someone know how to set it up as a center channel without input jacks? Could I run a cable from my Surround Sound Receiver center channel to the DVD Audio input jacks? It would only work on DVD and I would still need a center channel speaker for everything else. Anyway, I am otherwise very happy with the big Sony and am anxiously waiting to get the new Sony HD Direct TV receiver.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Dick,
How wide is the space on top of the sony? I'm wondering if I'll run into the same problem with my center channel speaker. I have a Cambridge Soundworks center channel speaker. While not the greatest, it is only 6-1/4 "" deep. (4 3/8"H X 25 1/8"W X 6 1/4"D)
Link Removed

I'll measure it tonight, but I would guess that it is about 6" wide at the center. The TV is "wedge" shaped with the top being the pointed edge, and it just isn't really designed for putting anything on top of it. I would like to have a wall unit built around it, with shelves and cabinets for the speakers and other electronics components. I think it is a good looking set, but I miss my old Sony big screen with its solid wood cabinet.

David Glenn

Second Unit
With in 18 hours I'll have my WV700. :D
Can any owners tell me where the back inputs/outputs are located? Looking at the set from the front are they located in the center? I want to make sure my component cables are long enough. I may have to move my dvd player to a lower shelf on my audio rack or purchase longer cables.

Tom Trz

Agent
David, glad your happy...I did 5 months of research and waited for the new line...just about ready to pull the trigger on the toshiba but couldn't do it...Bought an Hitachi....absolutely love it......happy to see that people are happy with other brands.......my new stb comes in tomorrow the Sony sd 200....upgrade from hughes e-86....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks