What's new

Toshiba 57H81 or the 57H82 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at both of these sets and I wanted some input from the pros.

The only major difference that I can see is the 82 is DVI upgradeable. I am concerned about compatability when the HD spec is finally decided on, however, I also think that when it is decided there will be kits available to adapt sets to the new spec.

Please post any and all thoughts because I'd only like to make this purchase once. (that is until I can safely rationalize an upgrade:D)

Cheers.
J.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The H81 series is from 2001/2002 and was the first year Tosh started forcing 480i/p->540p upconversion. The H82 series is from 2002/2003. If you like Tosh, go w/ the H82 model since it has improved upconversion besides the DVI upgradability. If you want DVI/HDCP built-in (and better optics as well), try to get the HDX82 series instead. It'd probably only cost you an extra $300-400 (and probably worth it).

FYI, it seems more and more likely that DVI/HDCP will become a real issue. There's good likelihood that HD-DVD, whenever that happens (maybe still a few years away), will require DVI/HDCP. Meanwhile, cable and sat companies will likely try to use it to restrict access to premium HD content/services.

_Man_

Kami

Screenwriter
The H82 will also take a 720p signal (and upconvert to 1080i), while the H81 will not.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I ordered the 57H82 from Onecall.com today. Woohoo! I chose it for the above reasons and because it was a killer deal: $1979 shipped!

I'll be posting my thoughts and reactions when I get started setting it up next week.

Cheers.
J.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks