What's new

Toshiba 40h80 convergence issues (1 Viewer)

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a 40H80 for nearly 2 years now and have been a satisfied customer. Several months ago Time Warner started supporting HDTV through the cable box and I made the switch. Since then I've noticed that the TV constantly needs to have the convergence reset (I haven't had the TV ISOd and I've just been using the 9-point settings). I think this happens due the TV constantly switching its screen setting from 1080i (HDTV), to X-box 'full' setting, to DVD 'full' setting, and normal digital TV in a 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't know about what's really happening inside the TV, but does the TV constantly have to 'reset' every time it switches between the different viewing settings and thus the impact of all these changes is that the convergence can get out of wack? I find myself going through the 9-point convergence maybe every 3 weeks or so. Sometimes the convergence gets very out of wack. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this something I'll just have to live with? Thanks for your help.

Rob

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There are separate convergence memories for 1080i and 480i/p.

Go to the service menu and do convergence for both ... and then never touch 9 point again ... ever.

You must have a 1080i signal active to do convergence on 1080i mode.

regards

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the set for 2 years, so convergence had been set multiple times over the first couple months as everything settled in, then I never touched it again (becuase I didn't have to). Since I've gotten HDTV, which puts out the 1080i signal, I've done the 9-point on the HDTV signal. The problem is that the convergence continues to shift. I've set each setting at least once, but I find myself having to reset it every few weeks or so.

I guess my question is more this. I plan on having the set ISFd relatively soon (it's about time), but I'm concerned that the convergence continues to drift so that at least from a convergence point of view, calibrating the TV might not do much if it just shifts 3 weeks later.

Are you suggesting that if I have the full (service menu, 64 point) covergence done on the various settings, that my convergence will stop shifting?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

One also assumes that you give the set a chance to warm up properly before doing convergence. It needs a good 30 to 45 minutes. If you do it when the TV is cold ... you will never hear the end of it.

A properly convergec set does not last forever ...

As the TV ages, the convergence will drift slightly. Under normal conditions ... a 5 minute touch up might occur every 2 to 3 months.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks