What's new

toshi sd-5960 uni dvd player (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I'm out of retail now, but last I heard, the 5960 was altogether cancelled in Canada. I understand it was available for short time in the US, but was then yanked.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
JohnnyG, thx for your post. Do you have any familiarity with the issues John Geelan refers to in his post I link to above? Does this sound familiar in terms of the reasons you heard the 5960 was "yanked"?

-p

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
About 10 days - 2 weeks ago, I got a letter from Toshiba cust service telling me that their records indicated I had bought an SD5960, the model was having issues with some sets over HDMI, and that I should call the number they listed for instructions on how to return it. I called, they had me fax them my receipt, they are sending me pre-paid shipping labels, when they receive the unit they will refund my full purchase price plus tax. The letter was nicely written, apologetic but pointed out that this can happen with a new technology. My take is that they are taking care of their customers, and in general doing the right thing. Interesting that theywouldn't try to get people to take a replacement - much cheaper for them, (their manufacturing cost vs refund of cost, mark-ups and tax)

BTW, I was at my local Fry's looking for a replacement, and noticed that all the 4960's they had on the shelves have also disappeared.

I'm most likely going with the Sony that comes out in Septmber with HDMI. I'm assuming that it will work with my Sony projector. In the meantime, I'm using a $35 Cyberhome, which is working just fine.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I bought this unit from Best Buy a few months ago, but returned it within two weeks for a full refund. The picture looked great with a HDMI to DVI cable to my Sony Grand Wega. But the player itself was a piece of junk. Discs wouldn't play, discs got stuck, discs stuttered. Many folks at AVSforum reported similar problems. I don't know if there was an actual recall, but this player certainly was a black mark against Toshiba in the quality department. My advice: stay away; Panasonic and Sony will soon have their versions of upconverting players out.

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand why they would release units like that on the market. toshiba has gone down hill. don't know what to buy now. my decision is between the denon 910(picture only) or the pio 563a(audio). i have heard the picture is pretty good with the pio. they just have problems with
dvd a. What to get?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

From what I understand the problems are with particular DVD-A titles created with a particular program. Of course if that software is widely used then there's a big problem. I believe Pioneer is offering to upgrade the firmware for these units to make them compatible.

I'm sure there is also a list of titles with problems. So far I have not run into any, so it kind of depends on your music preferences.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
More info. on 563A's select DVD-A title issues here: Pio DV-563A firmware fix.

What I still don't understand--and have yet to get any responses on in the 4960 threads--is how/why the 5960 recall due to HDMI connectivity issues on some monitors has apparently impacted the release of the 4960, which has no HDMI output.

-p

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
The 5960 seemed to have more probs than just sending info over the HDMI. Who knows why, but it was very balky to use - reluctant to take any kind of instruction, via remote or front panel buttons, it would hang up, stutter, freeze more than I would consider acceptable, it would eject a DVD immediately 3 or 4 times before letting it stay in, etc. Weird, as Toshiba has a solid track record. There's probably a new resume on Monster right now - "Dir Prod Development, formerly at Toshiba...."

...and don't say it was the damned Finance dept cutting costs - that's what I do, (elsewhere)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks