What's new

Tora! Tora! Tora! out in Region B (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I guess you Canadians rate.

Amazon Germany didn't recognize my signin, nor did Amazon UK.

Or maybe they just don't recognize me! I tell ya, I don't get no respect!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You can also use the new Google browser - when it encounters a page in a foreign language, it automatically asks you if you want to have it translated. Not the best translations, by any means, but good enough to give you the gist of it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I didn't actually order, but the site recognized my regular Amazon account (just like Amazon UK).

14 Euros for standard shipping (to the US) is pretty steep. I can wait for the eventual US (or maybe UK) release.

But the BD sounds good nonetheless...

_Man_

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

I didn't actually order, but the site recognized my regular Amazon account (just like Amazon UK).

14 Euros for standard shipping (to the US) is pretty steep. I can wait for the eventual US (or maybe UK) release.

But the BD sounds good nonetheless...

_Man_

It's already available in the UK.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
However, that's PAL and won't play here in Region 1. The edition in Germany is not region restricted. It plays in Region 1 (North America & US possessions).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Amazon often just copies and pastes the DVD details. I'm not 100% certain, but given that Fox owns the worldwide rights to the film, I'd bet that the UK disc is identical.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Rick Thompson:

Don't mistake PAL with region: there is region 1 PAL you know. Just saying...

Anyway, for BD, we're mostly concerned with whether the disc is region-locked (handy if not), and if there is any 50Hz-based content on it (many players won't play it, many will).

In an otherwise playable region-unlocked BD, the feature may be fine at 1080p/24, but there can occasionally be some 50Hz stuff thrown in, an extra or a promo, that can cause a BD player to choke. For instance, my PS3 will choke or require some fancy finagling to bypass the sticker, but my Oppo doesn't care.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Why don't we leave it at this: We KNOW the one from Germany plays here.

Until someone tries the UK version and reports back, Germany is the sure thing and UK is not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

Why don't we leave it at this: We KNOW the one from Germany plays here.

Until someone tries the UK version and reports back, Germany is the sure thing and UK is not.

I expect to have the UK version by Wednesday so I'll let everyone know how it plays on my Panny-65. Either way, I have my Sherwood region-free BR player as backup.

Crawdaddy

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Yeah, I just got mine from AmazonUK and it plays fine on both my Pioneer and Panasonic players. Gosh, it looks and sounds great! I live in California and it got here faster than Deep Discount's media mail option. I bought two copies...one for a friend, and I think the total cost in dollars including shipping was something like $37.00.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Took the plunge and ordered it today. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It certainly helped make my mind up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, the disc has two versions of the film on it. One is the theatrical cut and the other is the longer Japanese cut.

Crawdaddy

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

By the way, the disc has two versions of the film on it. One is the theatrical cut and the other is the longer Japanese cut.

Crawdaddy

That is real bonus and pleasant surprise. Now I am really glad I ordered it and it is on the way. Thanks for the heads up.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It shouldn't come as so much of a surprise as that was detailed in post #1 of this thread; it's a Europe wide release by Fox - all versions are the same.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for all the info, guys. Now that I know it will play in a BD65, I have ordered the UK release. Looking forward to it!

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
In case anybody cares, Fox has placed the subtitles for this movie split between the picture frame and the "black bar" below - rendering them partially (but effectively wholly) unreadable for anyone who has a 2.35:1 screen.

@#!!& Fox. I now have an imported copy that I can't really watch. I hope that the idiots at Fox fix the subtitle placement before they issue the Region 1 release. And I thought it was only Sony that liked to screw their high-end users. I guess Fox has moved into the Sony camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks