What's new

Top-Rated, Nearly Forgotten DRAMAS! (1 Viewer)

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Looking at releases of these classic shows outside of R1.:
Peter Gunn the UK Liberation sets are the best to go for, although as mentioned above it's a pity they didn't release the third season.
High Chaparral the first three seasons have been released in Germany by Kinowelt (available on Amazon Germany and Amazon Italy) - having watched the first season so far the picture quality is very good but I don't think these have been remastered. They have also released the first two seasons of The Big Valley and are just about to release the third season.
Quincy ME Season 3 has just been released in Australia by Madman Entertainment. They have also been releasing further seasons of McCloud and Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Fall Guy the second season was released by Fox in the UK
Amazing Stories the second season was released (in two sets) by Sony in Italy (available from Amazon Italy)
All of the above have the original english soundtracks.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Great list Ethan.
Regarding Lassie:
I sent a message to Brian Ward from Shout Factory if they had any plans for it. His response was---
"It's not something we're able to acquire, at this time. Doesn't mean it won't happen down the road, but it's not something for which we currently have plans."
The fact that he said " it doesn't mean it won't happen down the road", is more than a glimmer of hope for me. It means they are seriously looking into it.
Shout loves to do those complete series sets(Leave it To Beaver, Transformers, BArney Miller) while I really couldn't expect them to do all 20 seasons of Lassie, I could imagine maybe mega sets. Sets containing seasons 1-4, 5-8 etc. Pure wishful thinking on my part, but doggone it that would be spectacular.
Lassie is my Holy Grail of tv dvd. Pure and simple. The golden Age of television wouldn't be "Golden" without LASSIE!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Chas in CT said:
Detectives! Houseboat! Miami Beach!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053540/

I'd forgotten about it entirely till someone mentioned the title to me a couple of years ago, then I remembered seeing it as a kid. I think we were particularly fond of this one since we'd just moved to Florida.
It's an address?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
These lists are great and it's astonishing to see how many truly popular shows have never seen the light of DVD day. Amazing (and a little disheartening).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Also, how about Grizzly Adams?
I would love to see both seasons released. Considering Timeless has a deal with NBC, I'm surprised they haven't released it yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ethan, have you thought to put the lists from all these posts into the first post as a alphabetical list?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
If THEN CAME BRONSON has been listed I missed it-and I WEAR glasses!

A one season show that didn't do much in the ratings, but sure had a loyal, cult like following which exists to this day. My local video store here in L.A. says they get requests for it all the time, so I wound up copying my old TNT copies for them and got myself a bunch of store credit. The show was perfect for its time, 1969, all about an ex-reporter who inherits a motorcycle from a friend who has committed suicide and sets off to travel the country in search of....something, anything, everything. It truly was a beautiful little show and even though it deals with a lot of 60's era soul searching, it holds up remarkably well.

Warner Archive has released the original made for TV pilot film, but interestingly, put the longer European theatrical cut of it on there, which features some nice, tasteful nudity of co-star Bonnie Bedelia. Rumors about the Archive releasing the entire series followed in its wake, but so far nothing.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Baywatch - I can't comment on whether any music in the episodes themselves has been replaced (not including the theme song for the NBC season (Season 1), as I haven't started watching the DVD sets yet, but based on testing out the season sets released so far by Network, the picture/print quality isn't too bad. The Season 4 episodes look the best so far. It was never excellent picture/print quality when first shown on TV.

Freddy's Nightmares - It baffles me why this two season series hasn't been released yet on DVD. I think the ideal chance was missed when the Nightmare on Elm Street remake was released in cinemas. The first eight Friday the 13th movies (the Paramount ones) were released as Deluxe Edition DVDs when the 2009 film was released in cinemas. (CBS/Paramount have already released Friday the 13th: The Series and Tales from the Darkside completely on DVD).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Lineup (San Francisco Beat, Syndicated Title) 1954 6 seasons, 198 episodes. No releases. Hard to even find PD.
Cop Show, set in San Francisco, Dragnet-like show

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I still wish someone would complete Peyton Place.
I would very much like to see the 70's drama Family completed by Sony or someone else
The great all star cast headed by Lana Turner and created by Harold Robbins for TV a cross between Peyton Place and Dynasty the one season drama The Survivors.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
TonyD said:
Ethan, have you thought to put the lists from all these posts into the first post as a alphabetical list?
Ok, I'll try that later when I get home from work.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
:confused:Two of my favorite stalled shows defy catagorization: Love American Style and The Love Boat. Where do these two long running series fall; comedy, drama, or neither?
Something to ponder....................

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Here's another one I just thought of:
The White Shadow: 54 episodes, 3 seasons (seasons 1-2 released)
Fox released the first two seasons, but then, uh-oh, where's season 3?
Fortunately, Fox did have the courtesty to include season 3 on Hulu, save for a couple of episodes due to music rights, so it appears that they still have at least some interest in the series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
The Lineup (San Francisco Beat, Syndicated Title) 1954 6 seasons, 198 episodes. No releases. Hard to even find PD.
Cop Show, set in San Francisco, Dragnet-like show
Yes, well the reason for that might be because the show isn't PD.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
G.E. Theatre 293
Fireside Theatre 268

The Millionaire 207
Tales of Wells Fargo 167 half hours, 34 hours, although it is supposedly in the works so it should soon be off this list
Sheriff of Cochise/U.S. Marshall 156
Cold Case 156
In The Heat of the Night 147
Four Star Playhouse 129
Wild Bill Hickok 113
Bat Masterson 108

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks