What's new

Top Rare DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
The Criterion "Silence" is one OOP disc I definitely advocate over the on-the-market one. The picture ain't anamorphic but it seems much more satisfying than the MGM one.
The Criterion "Silence" has a warm, reddish look (approved by DP Tak Fujimoto) that is in stark contrast to the cooler MGM disc. The only drawback - the non-anamorphic Criterion really does look crappy on larger screens from a resolution standpoint. I have both discs.

Here's a comparison:
http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/silence.htm

Cheers,

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
It always amused me that the Criterion John Woo's were selling for so much--I remember before I bought the Fox Lorber versions, I was tooling around Ebay to see if I could get those versions for cheap. the cheapest I found was 120 for Hard Boiled--with 2 days left to go.

Imagine my surprise when I found the Fox Lorber versions had almost identical extras with BETTER transfers.

Horrible cover art, yeah--but the discs are actually IMPROVEMENTS over the Criterion versions.

Even funnier is that Anchor Bay has so diluted the market that you can put together their 2 disc Army of Darkness edition by buying their separate single disc releases of the movie and downloading the cover art from the internet. EXACT same thing.

Scott*E

Stunt Coordinator
We can add to it the Beavis and Butthead set that was planned for release but was immediately pulled. I've seen it go for some pretty serious prices on eBay.
Same thing happened to the first R1 version of Ed Wood IIRC. I think there's some copies out there somewhere.

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
E-Bay used to be quite the seller's market for OOP DVDs. I sold my copy of Criterion's The Killer for just under $400 a little over three years ago.

More recently, I was able to sell the old Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Midnight Run DVDs before they were re-issued for over $50 each.

I'm glad I was able to unload these discs while they still commanded such a value. It pays to follow disc release news.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The following have been know to fetch in excess of $100 on Ebay (at least when I want to buy them).

Criterion Collection, OOP

*The Killer (current ayction has sealed copies for $275)
*Salo:120 days/sodom (The DVD that once sold for $800:eek: these days its $250-$400 price is slightly less traumatic)

Non-Criterion

*Aeon Flux
*Army of Darkness 2-disk. I haven't seen this one go for much since the set was re-released this year.

Oddly, the criterion edition of Hard Boiled, which went out of print at the same time at The Killer isn't worth a quarter as much. i wonder why??

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I would nominate:

Portrait of Jennie (William Dieterle/1948/Anchor Bay)
Shoeshine (Vittorio De Sica/1946/Image)

Very few copies in print of either of these (with high demand by classic film collectors), so they go for quite a bit on Ebay.

Even the once-plentiful & cheap Last Year in Marienbad (Alain Resnais/1961/Fox Lorber) has taken off in price recently.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I finally got Robocop CC from someone on here for $30 shipped. But also on ebay I got Splash with Tom Hanks for like $50. It usually goes for around $80 on ebay. Also Raw Deal (Anchor Bay release R1) is really rare. I actually bought it from my local Hastings store in their used DVD section for like $15 and sold it for like $70 a while back but wish I would have kept it. I also picked up Silence of the Lambs CC for like $15 also at Hastings and I kept that one.

EDIT: Oh yeah just thought of another one. How bout Gleaming the Cube?

Christopher D

Second Unit
Gary - how rare is R2 Le Samourai? I picked one up in Paris last year and it's still sealed. If it's worth major bucks I may unload it --

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Re: Le Samouraï (Melville/1967/René Chateau/R2 PAL)

FYI: I bought a copy through Cinestore.com in late July. It took forever and a day for them to ship it (I received it two months later), but they are currently listing it as in stock.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
How about the crap 16 candles snapper case release? I remember it going for around 100 bucks befoore the new release came out.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's The 400 Blows was going for over $100.00 on Ebay prior to the Truffaut box set being issued.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

The image quality is a tough call. Both have their pros and cons.

As for extras Criterion wins out. The commentary track is superb (unlike the MGM documentary it features all the major cast and crew) and the text stuff from the FBI on serial killers is a very interesting read.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie seems to be fetching around $60 on eBay. Oddly, that makes it the most valuable single film in my collection (as far as I know). Whooda thunk?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I paid $70 for This is Spinal Tap: The Criterion Collection about a year ago. I though that was a pretty good deal! (I also own the Criterion LD set). Still going for around $100-$120 on eBAY... occasionally more. It's well worth the upgrade to the Criterion with the correct OAR of 1.7:1, burned-in subtitles, 2 great commentaries, the extended version of the 'cheese-rolling' trailer, and the original film that was used to pitch the movie.

Another rare DVD I own is the Cowboy Bebop: Perfect Sessions LE set. I have seen this set go for up to $400 on eBAY! I paid $150 about 2 years ago (when it was released) :eek: :eek: The only thing that makes the release special is the Japanese OST (OST1) and the box... otherwise the discs are available MUCH cheaper individually.

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
Is anybody crazy enough to collect DVDs in those funky Polygram tray cases that were around for the first few months of DVD life in 1997? The original Fargo, Four Weddings, Usual Suspects, Dead Men Walking, all came in those bizarre tray cases that were so reviled in the early DVD community.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks