What's new

Top of the Pops (1 Viewer)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
I just recently found this thread, and let me say this:The BBC is NOT making things better by banning Jimmy Savile's episodes of the show for life. Obviously, I do not approve of Savile's lifestyle. But how is banning his episodes going to make things any better? Like it or not, but the Jimmy Savile episodes of TOTP are a part of history. And you cannot erase history.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
Vahan_Nisanain said:
I just recently found this thread, and let me say this: The BBC is NOT making things better by banning Jimmy Savile's episodes of the show for life. Obviously, I do not approve of Savile's lifestyle. But how is banning his episodes going to make things any better? Like it or not, but the Jimmy Savile episodes of TOTP are a part of history. And you cannot erase history.
I agree but there are so many whingers here in the UK that the BBC are most likely just trying to avoid the inevitable fall out.
I suspect they may show some but not for a very long time.
Which makes it an even bigger shame that BBC4 did away with 1964 -1975 in one 90 minute programme. There are some classic shows in that era and it looks like BBC4 won't be airing them.

So I'm glad that I was able to record to dvd the German tv broadcasts a few years back where we had about 50 shows from 1970 to 1976 including a couple that BBC4 only showed in edited form as they were before the late night uncut repeat.

Annoyingly there were 2 German shows that should have featured Gary Glitter but his performance was cut . I don't know if they were supplied cut by the BBC or whether German tv cut them.
Jonathan King was intact on Einsfestival and I think on BBC4 when he appeared on a later show.

charlesgunn

Agent
Real Name
chaz
WaveCrest said:
The artists on the Christmas Day, 1978 edition of Top of the Pops (a highlights programme of songs from that year, presented by Noel Edmonds):The Boy from New York City - DartsRasputin - Boney MSummer Nights - John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John (audio)Mull of Kintyre - Wings (video)Figaro - Brotherhood of ManThe Smurf Song - Father Abraham & The Smurfs (video)Night Fever - The Bee Gees (audio)Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs - Brian & MichaelThe Floral Dance - Brighouse & Rastrick Brass BandWuthering Heights - Kate Bush (video)I Wonder Why - ShowaddywaddyRivers of Babylon - Boney MThree Times a Lady - The Commodores (audio)Take a Chance on Me - ABBALove Don't Live Here Anymore - Rose Royce (video)You're the One That I Want - John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John (audio)Mary's Boy Child/Oh My Lord - Boney M (UK Christmas No.1 for 1978)End Credits: Annie's Song - James Galway (audio).

Bit late in the day for me to reply but the BBC4 broadcast of this several years ago was the original version and included the Grease and Saturday Night Fever sequences intact unlike the recent repeat where the film footage was replaced by Legs and Co.

They did it with several of the 1978 episodes.
I guess they didn't have anything to replace the Watership Down footage when Art Garfunkel was number one with Bright Eyes but they only negotiated to show the same 1 minute of footage each and every week it was on instead of the complete song

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Not 100% certain, but I think David Jensen and Mike Read contributed to the BBC Four documentaries for the years they both debuted on Top of the Pops (Top of the Pops: The Story of 1976 and Top of the Pops: The Story of 1978 respectively). Peter Powell and Simon Bates didn't contribute to the documentaries for the years they both debuted on Top of the Pops. Hopefully the repeats are still doing well enough on BBC Four for them to continue repeats into next year, where they should go into the start of the 80's. Steve Wright debuted on the programme in 1980, so if they do a documentary for that year, then hopefully he contributes to the documentary.There shouldn't be too many weeks the programme is off BBC Four between the end of this month and Christmas (of the remaining editions left to be shown from 1979, two editions from September can be shown, three editions from October, three editions from November and three editions from December (including the Christmas Day edition). It's not a complete list, but there is a BBC website page (last updated twelve years ago) which lists some of the editions of Top of the Pops which exist in the BBC archives.

P

patjo

Hopefully when DLT is cleared next week we'll see an increase in the number of shows.
Wouldn't it be good if BBC4 went back over the Xmas fortnight and showed a daily series of some of the skipped DLT shows?

I think all it will take for there to be an end to these TOTP repeats will be just one more TOTP connected arrest.
You can kiss it goodbye if any of the 80's presenters get called up.

And if there's any developments on the Cliff Richard front that will mean some of the remaining 1979 shows will be edited and he had several hits in 1980 so fingers crossed nothing happens

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The artists on the 6th September, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (presented by Peter Powell):

Strut Your Funky Stuff - Frantique (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

Something That I Said - The Ruts

Just When I Needed You Most - Randy Vanwarmer

The Prince - Madness

Angel Eyes - Roxy Music (video)

Street Life - The Crusaders

Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra (video)

If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me? - The Bellamy Brothers (audio)

Boy Oh Boy - Racey

Reggae for It Now - Bill Lovelady

Gotta Go Home (double-A side with El Lute) - Boney M (video)

The No.1 single: We Don't Talk Any More - Cliff Richard (Third week at No.1)

End Credits: Money - The Flying Lizards (audio).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The artists on the 20th September, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (presented by Mike Read):

Boy Oh Boy - Racey (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

War Stories - The Starjets

Them Heavy People (from the Kate Bush on Stage EP) - Kate Bush (video)

The Prince - Madness

If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me? - The Bellamy Brothers (video)

Back of My Hand - The Jags

The Loneliest Man in the World - The Tourists

Message in a Bottle - The Police (video)

Every Day Hurts - Sad Cafe

Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (video)

Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra (audio)

The No.1 single: Cars - Gary Numan (First and only week at No.1)

End Credits: Reggae for It Now - Bill Lovelady (audio).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The artists on the 4th October, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (presented by David Jensen):

The Prince - Madness (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

Making Plans for Nigel - XTC

Dreaming - Blondie (video)

Point of View - Matumbi

Video Killed the Radio Star - Buggles (video)

Every Day Hurts - Sad Cafe

Slap and Tickle - Squeeze

Them Happy People (from the Kate Bush on Stage EP) - Kate Bush (audio)

Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (video)

Back of My Hand - The Jags

One Day at a Time - Lena Martell

The No.1 single: Message in a Bottle (video) (Second week at No.1)

End Credits: Cruel to Be Kind - Nick Lowe (audio).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The artists on the 11th October, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (first edition presented by Andy Peebles):

You Can Do It - Al Hudson & The Partners (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

The Chosen Few - The Dooleys

The Shape of Things to Come - The Headboys

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson (audio)

My Forbidden Lover - Chic

When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman - Dr. Hook (video)

Gonna Get Along Without You Now - Viola Wills

The Devil Went Down to Georgia - The Charlie Daniels Band (video)

O.K. Fred - Errol Dunkley

Luton Airport - Cats U.K.

Queen of Hearts - Dave Edmunds

I Can't Get Over Getting Over You - Dana

The No.1 single: Message in a Bottle - The Police (video) (Third and final week at No.1)

End Credits: Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (audio).

Assuming that the following week Buggles knocked The Police off the top spot with Video Killed the Radio Star. The next edition of Top of the Pops which BBC Four can show is from 25th October, 1979.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Unfortunately we'll only get one 1979 Xmas episode of the series this year. The Xmas Day show was Kid Jensen and Peter Powell , but the one from later in the week was Mike Read and DLT

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
There's a good chance they will ban Cliff Richard's episodes next.

According to the people who hate Cliff Richard, there IS evidence he is a remorseless and soulless pedophile rapist, because his name was on the "Elm Guest House" list.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Nothing will happen to Cliff unless he gets charged with something which seems unlikely .At any rate they could do what German tv did with Glitter and just edit out the performances .He had some hits in 1980 but I'm not sure how many , if any reached number one.Trying to write Cliff out of pop history would be more difficult and ridciculous than writing out Savile

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The artists on the 25th October, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (presented by Peter Powell):

On My Radio - The Selecter (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

A Message to You Rudy (double-A side with Nite Club) - The Specials (featuring Rico)

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (video)

My Forbidden Lover - Chic (audio)

He Was Beautiful (Cavatina) (The Theme from The Deer Hunter) - Iris Williams

The Iron Lady - Janet Brown

The No.1 single: One Day at a Time - Lena Martell (First week at No.1)

End Credits: Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) - ABBA (audio).

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Vahan_Nisanain said:
For what it is worth, Garry Glitter's music is NOT completely banned for life. I was at my local Walgreens a few weeks ago, and they played Rock 'n Roll Part 2.
I like some of Glitters music now as much as I did in the 70's which is why I have his hits cd.
Although German tv TOTP had Glitter missing the BBC4 edition from 77 or 78 included Glitters very forgettable track .
WaveCrest said:
The artists on the 25th October, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (presented by Peter Powell):

On My Radio - The Selecter (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

A Message to You Rudy (double-A side with Nite Club) - The Specials (featuring Rico)

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (video)

My Forbidden Lover - Chic (audio)

He Was Beautiful (Cavatina) (The Theme from The Deer Hunter) - Iris Williams

The Iron Lady - Janet Brown

The No.1 single: One Day at a Time - Lena Martell (First week at No.1)

End Credits: Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) - ABBA (audio).

Bit annoyed with BBC4 this week . For the second time on the trot the auto start on Freeview was late by a few seconds .
Last time it started when the chart was at 26 , this week it started as Peter Powell was saying "Top of the Pops" ( this is the late night unedited repeat I'm referring to).
Last time it wasn't a problem as I re-recorded the show with my own timer settings on the saturday night unedited repeat.
Guess what ? This week the saturday night repeat was the edited version as seen on Thursday at 7.30 so now I have to make do with a bit missing at the start.
I don't think I'll allow my Bluray recorder to auto start on programmes I intend to keep . Apparently this is a BBC error so I'm using manual settings in future.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
youworkmen said:
Bit annoyed with BBC4 this week . For the second time on the trot the auto start on Freeview was late by a few seconds .
Last time it started when the chart was at 26 , this week it started as Peter Powell was saying "Top of the Pops" ( this is the late night unedited repeat I'm referring to).
Last time it wasn't a problem as I re-recorded the show with my own timer settings on the saturday night unedited repeat.
Guess what ? This week the saturday night repeat was the edited version as seen on Thursday at 7.30 so now I have to make do with a bit missing at the start.
I don't think I'll allow my Bluray recorder to auto start on programmes I intend to keep . Apparently this is a BBC error so I'm using manual settings in future.
Does your Freeview settings allow you to start the recording of the late night Thursday repeat two minutes before the programme starts? I always (if I remember to do it) record the programme on BBC Four after the late night repeat of Top of the Pops, as it normally starts a few minutes late.And regarding the late night Saturday repeat, there was one edition shown recently in which The Jags appeared on the programme. The late night Thursday repeat wasn't the unedited version (it normally is). I was sure I'd seen The Jags mentioned in the TV listings for this edition of Top of the Pops. I thought they'd made a mistake in the listings. Turned out The Jags hadn't been included in the TV listings information for the late night Thursday repeat. Then..I decided to watch the Saturday night repeat. The Jags were on that repeat. The late night Saturday repeat was the unedited version.

When did they change how the chart countdown was done on Top of the Pops, showing the chart countdown split into a few parts? When I started watching Top of the Pops (around 1983-84) the chart countdown was shown in a few parts.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have a bad feeling one of my favourite music tracks will be on a skipped edition of Top of the Pops from November '79, the Herb Alpert song Rise. Also a song by Earth, Wind & Fire called Star looks to have been on a skipped edition, along with Whatever You Want by Status Quo and Is She Really Going Out with Him? by Joe Jackson. And the possible debut UK music single from Kool & the Gang, Ladies Night, could be on a skipped edition from November '79.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
WaveCrest said:
Does your Freeview settings allow you to start the recording of the late night Thursday repeat two minutes before the programme starts? I always (if I remember to do it) record the programme on BBC Four after the late night repeat of Top of the Pops, as it normally starts a few minutes late.And regarding the late night Saturday repeat, there was one edition shown recently in which The Jags appeared on the programme. The late night Thursday repeat wasn't the unedited version (it normally is). I was sure I'd seen The Jags mentioned in the TV listings for this edition of Top of the Pops. I thought they'd made a mistake in the listings. Turned out The Jags hadn't been included in the TV listings information for the late night Thursday repeat. Then..I decided to watch the Saturday night repeat. The Jags were on that repeat. The late night Saturday repeat was the unedited version.

When did they change how the chart countdown was done on Top of the Pops, showing the chart countdown split into a few parts? When I started watching Top of the Pops (around 1983-84) the chart countdown was shown in a few parts.

Yes my Bluray recorder allows me to adjust the settings manually , but 99% of the time programmes on BBC4 usually begin recording as the caption is onscreen and the announcer introducing the programme - about 10 seconds before the start even when there are substantial delays but the last 2 TOTP have not so in future I'm starting it 3 minutes early and ending 5 minutes late.
I think adding manual times may mean that if there is a genuine over run that my recorder won't know about it.

Fortunately I caught mention of the missing Jags on another forum and managed to re-record the unedited saturday repeat for that one .
BBC4 do seem to be going out of their way to ensure nobody gets an unedited run.
Edited shows on the late night repeat Thursday the other week , edited saturday repeat last week .
No Sky at Night next week so I wonder why no TOTP - they're showing Sounds of the 70's instead.

I can't recall when the change to the chart format comes in . I'm not sure I'll record beyond 1982 anyway -assuming we actually get that far

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
youworkmen said:
No Sky at Night next week so I wonder why no TOTP - they're showing Sounds of the 70's instead.

I can't recall when the change to the chart format comes in . I'm not sure I'll record beyond 1982 anyway -assuming we actually get that far
The start of this year aside (when I think BBC Four showed Top of the Pops for five weeks in a row) BBC Four have normally shown Top of the Pops for three weeks in a row then it's had a week off for The Sky at Night. Was expecting Top of the Pops not to be on this coming Thursday. It's on Thursday 20th November on BBC Four. The next edition they can show is from 15th November, 1979 (presented by David Jensen). After that, the remaining editions from 1979 which can be shown:

29th November, 1979 (presented by Peter Powell) - being shown on BBC Four on Thursday 27th November
6th December, 1979 (first edition presented by Simon Bates) - being shown on BBC Four on Thursday 4th December
13th December, 1979 (presented by Mike Read) - being shown on BBC Four on Thursday 11th December
Christmas Day, 1979 (presented by David Jensen & Peter Powell) - should be shown on BBC Four sometime over the Christmas holidays.

I think it was sometime during 1981 when Top of the Pops had a revamped title sequence.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The artists on the 1st November, 1979 edition of Top of the Pops (presented by Mike Read):

Every Day Hurts - Sad Cafe (audio; played over the Top 30 music singles chart countdown)

Tryouts for the Human Race - Sparks

The Sparrow - The Ramblers

Can't Get Enough of Your Love - Darts

The Eton Rifles - The Jam

Bird Song - Lene Lovich

Star - Earth, Wind & Fire (audio)

Sarah - Thin Lizzy

She's in Love with You - Suzi Quatro

Knocked It Off - B.A. Robertson

The No.1 single: One Day at a Time - Lena Martell (Second week at No.1)

End Credits: Tusk - Fleetwood Mac (audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks