What's new

Top Chef Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And one of the big criticisms of the guys that made the summer rolls, was that they did not spend enough, given the money they were given.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What a great episode. First we got to see Dale wow guest Judge Daniel Boulud (creator of the famous DB Burger) critique the contestants’ technique (Dale blew everyone away with this knife skills) and then we get an elimination challenge just for this forum: each team had to create a dish based on their favorite movie.

With Richard Roeper as a guest for a six-course dinner, the top teams not only prepared what appeared to be great food, but were creative in using the movies for their inspiration as well, although the judges did comment that many of the teams (mostly lower-ranked) seemed to decide upon their dish and then pick a movie instead of the other way around.

Willie Wonka was the choice of Andrew, Richard and Dale who talked about how much fun it would be to have a gum ball that starts out tasting of one thing and then another and then another. So they created an appetizer of smoked salmon, with wasabi and white chocolate. Now this would not be something that would seem to have any appeal, but the judges loved it—though the not-so-inspired teams trashed the idea (even though not actually having tasted the dish).

The other end of the scale was the (losing) Good Morning, Vietnam inspired summer roll that only seemed to have Vietnam in common with the dish and movie.

The movies and dishes:

Willie Wonka—Smoked salmon with faux caviar and white chocolate wasabi sauce (Andrew, Richard (named the winner) and Dale (won Quickfire)
Good Morning, Vietnam—Summer roll with black vermicelli, green apple, chili rubbed Chilean sea bass and swiss chard (Manuel (eliminated) and Spike)
Christmas Story—Quail breast with carrot puree, cranberry chutney and quail spring rolls (Mark and Ryan)
Il Postino—Tortellini with cavolo nero, ricotta, pecorino, squash and peppercorn (Nikki and Jennifer)—the judges did not think that the movie inspiration matched the dish.
Talk to Her—Rack of lamb with saffron cauliflower puree, romesco and gramalata (Antonia and Zoi)
Top Secret—NY strip steak, braised short rib and apple potsticker with caramel sauce (Lisa and Stephanie)—this was the second-place dish—this was the last course and Lisa & Stephanie did not want to make a desert, hence the caramel sauce (did not sound good, but the judges loved the combination)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As a nod to this week’s efforts and the opening week’s soufflé disaster, I made a carrot soufflé (Mark commented that his carrot puree tasted great) last night.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I know one of the chefs and, while he's done well, he really hasn't stepped up to the plate (so to speak) yet.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My G/F is a gourmet cook and I love good food and enjoy cooking myself, so we watch alot of cooking shows together(I always have FoodTV on). Ive hadent seen this show in awhile, but caught this last night and enjoyed it. Next weeks looks to be REALLY interesting.

I was suprised the Christmas Story meal wasnt one of the top2 since that one went over so well at the table.

Watching this I was wondering what would I possibly do for 2001 A Space Odyssey :)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
What is wrong with Andrew? When Dale picked his and Richard's team to join, he went on about the weak gravitating to the strong. WTF? Dale is weak? He had just won the quickfire challenge! Anyway, what did he care about joining a strong team? He was immune anyway.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Andrew is this year’s young, aggressive, obnoxious twit (who can cook—but I’m guessing not so well as he thinks). But he is still better than Spike who is also obnoxious and dismissive of everything with which he disagrees. Such as the two top dishes this week.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'd also like to see "plays well with others" as part of the judging. When you are a world-famous chef and everyone loves your food, then you can be a complete a-hole to everyone in the kitchen. Until that time you need to be able to take orders and work with other people. Those who refuse to listen to their team leader and just do their own thing even when it doesn't fit in teams' theme should be shown the door. This is especially true in the "run your own restaurant" type challenges. Another mild "being an a-hole" is refusing to help a competitor plate when they are short on time, especially if they are on your team.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that there have been quite a few times where a losing team lost because one or more of the contestants did not play well with others. Many of the ‘big ego’ chefs still manage to work well together when forced together on a team. In this last case (Andrew bad-mouthing Dale), those comments were made to the camera, not to the team and in actually working with the team, Andrew worked well with the other two (Dale seemed to take a back seat, but then as he had immunity, he had no reason to not let the other two do as they wished).

OTOH, the judges often castigate those who let a forceful personality take over and ‘just go along’—this is especially true when the dish turns out bad.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Dale is an ass. First he criticized Lisa for being "negative" when she didn't agree with his first idea for the Fire Team's dish. Then, when they won, he got all pissy because she won with "bacon". The judges were wowed by an original idea for a simple ingredient. If she hadn't been "negative" they might not have won the challenge. Dale is quite possibly the best chef this season, but he needs to find a little humility!

The Earth Team failed because they didn't execute the dish well, not because they didn't do soup. But, they should not have let Antonia push them into something they didn't want to do, especially as she had immunity.

Then Dale shows his anger at Lisa for winning the challenge by accusing her again of being "negative". Then Spike tries to deflect the blame for Zoi's ouster by attacking Antonia. She should not have responded to that.

It's getting more interesting!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Dale may be an ass, but that does not mean that Lisa is not negative—she seems to be pouting when she is not complaining.

For sure Spike and Zoi should not have let Antonia steamroll them. Last week Dale was much better in going along with Andrew and Richard.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Dale had immunity last week - so it didn't really matter to him.

Antonia should have done the same thing and backed off. But, whatever dish the Earth Team cooked should have been correctly seasoned.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It might depend on how that scene was cut. My impression -- which might have be the intent from the edit -- is that yes, Dale was pissy that Lisa won with bacon. That she was negative the whole time, but he didn't say anything about it -- his choice. And then at the very end, when he spoke out -- and for what exactly I don't recall -- Lisa told him to chill, and that's what caused him to blow up and accuse her of being a hypocrite. And if that is the case, he would have a point.

Doesn't mean Dale is not an ass, though :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Its all about the editing on these shows. They can take anything that someone says completely out of context and spin it to make it appear the way they want. Its all about the drama anyway. And if there is no conflict you bet they will make something happen so there is.

Hense the "Watch what happens" moniker.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Zoi’s attempt at flying under the radar finally caught up with her. Two weeks ago during the block party challenge, she said on-camera, but not to her team that she was unhappy with making a pasta salad. But she went ahead and did it without too much protestation. Then (at least according to the judges) her dish was bland to the point that one of the judges said that you could get as good a pasta salad at the local grocery store.

Zoi lucked out then, but this week, once again (and unlike Dale) she did not make any strong arguments for any alternative dishes or approaches. And once again she provided an under-seasoned dish.

And last week she was one of the most vocal in complaining that the two winning dishes “could not taste good”. Of course without having tasted them.

Dale may be an ass and Andrew might be an even bigger one, but at least they have a point of view and are not afraid to be creative and actually cook something different.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Richard, Dale and Stephanie are at the top of my list. I think that Lisa is a fine chef, but her attitude will doom her at some point (and that could have happened last week).

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I think it's between Richard and Dale with Richard having the edge. He is really innovative and his winning dish showed that he can cook and not just rely on technology.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Well it was about time that Andrew went. He could be a real ass. I really don't see Spike or Lisa not making it much longer. Dale could be up with his attitude too but I see him making it into the finals for some reason.

Next up: Restaurant Wars.

Could be interesting.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Restaurant wars returns tonight.

The teams will be the thing: can anyone other than Richard team with Dale? And can anyone at all team up with Lisa?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks