What's new

Top 5 Most Wanted DVD's! (1 Viewer)

William K

Stunt Coordinator
All these of course in widescreen, chock full of extras including making of featurettes and at least 5.1 sound.

Batman

Batman Returns

Blade Runner

Smokey and the Bandit

Cannonball Run

Its a Mad Mad World

Gumball Rally

Mars Attacks

King Kong (1933 and 1976)

Bill

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I can't believe no one mentioned Monster Squad. This movie needs to be on DVD so badly. I'm still surprised it isn't with Van Helsing coming out.

Here's My List.

1. MONSTER SQUAD
2. The Boogedy Movies
3. Child of Glass
4. Great Land of Small
5. Journey To Spirt Island.

I'd be surprised if anyone remembers the last two but I think they deserve to be on DVD just as much as some other movies.

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Roman Polanski's Repulsion is out on DVD. The R1 release is a lackluster pan & scan disc, however, so I picked up the R2 release from Anchor Bay. The R2 version is anamorphic and includes a commentary with Polanski and Catherine Deneuve.

I also own the import DVD of the original Cat People. It is perfectly watchable, but nothing to write home about (the same company has also released King Kong, I believe).

What was wrong with the transfer for Pulp Fiction? The current special edition looks very good to me on my setup.

Anyway, here's what I'm waiting for:

- Rock & Rule (announced)
- Little Shop of Horrors SE (The 1986 film. The current disc has nice sound, but poor picture quality. I'd also like to be able to watch a finished version of the original ending.)
- Streets of Fire SE (anamorphic, please)
- 2LDK (Announced. I'd like a version with English subtitles)
- Star Wars (of course)

Always looking forward to a number of films after they wrap up their theatrical releases (Kill Bill Vol. 2, Eternal Sunshine, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, House of Flying Daggers) but I know they'll come eventually.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Since Star Wars is already coming, I won't include it here. These are my top movies I really want, all reissues with Anamorphic Enhancement.

1. Crimson Tide
2. Armageddon
3. Deep Impact
4. True Lies
5. Top Gun
6. Titanic
7. Days Of Thunder
8. Enemy of the State
9. Goodfellas
10. Mrs. Doubtfire

Also, a small indulgence, I'd really like them to release VIBES.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
1. King Kong (1933)

2. The Naked Spur

3. The Palm Beach Story

4. White Heat

5. Gojira (1954)

Not to mention

Bad Day at Black Rock
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Beau Geste
The Black Cat (1934)
The Black Swan
The Body Snatcher
Brides of Dracula
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Broken Arrow
Broken Lance
Captain Blood
The Cat People
Charley Varrick
Curse of the Werewolf
Dial M For Murder
Duck, You Sucker
The Fall of the Roman Empire
Foreign Correspondent
Forty-Ninth Parallel
Freaks
Gunga Din
Hondo
The Innocents
Island of Lost Souls
Jubal
Lonely are the Brave
Major Dundee
Man of the West
A Matter of Life and Death
Matthew Hopkins: Witchfinder General
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Point Blank
Public Enemy
Quick Change
Ride the High Country
The Roaring Twenties
Samurai Assassin
The Sea Hawk
Seven Men From Now
The Sugarland Express
Suspicion
Sword of Doom
The Tall T
Twins of Evil
Ugetsu
The Yakuza

Eric Eash

Second Unit
here are my top 5:

1. Star Wars OT (you all know what me and everyone else is talking about)

2. Scream (anamorphic transfer director's cut/original theatrical version)

3. Grosse Point Blank (anamorphic transfer 5.1)

4. Happy Gilmore (OAR anamorphic widescreen)

5. My Blue Heaven (OAR anamorphic widescreen)

and so many others. maybe when HD-DVD comes out.

eric

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
1) Beyond The Valley of The Dolls - I've heard rumors of a Criterion release soon

2) Wild In The Streets One of the best pieces of cinema satire ever! I'm surprised that no one has thought of doing a remake (How about Justin Timberlake as the new Max Frost?)

3) Valley of the Dolls -yes, it's campy as hell, but I love it! I just wanna see Neely O'Hara in widescreen!

4) Last Summer This 1969 suburban teens-gone-amok has been a personal favorite since I saw a late nite TV showing back in the late '70s. Richard Thomas and Bruce Davison lusting after Barbara Hershey on Fire Island (perhaps the only straight single guys there!), along with the devastating Oscar-nominated performance of Catherine Burns as the odd girl out. What's up, Warner Brothers?

5) House of Dark Shadows & Night of Dark Shadows - as a longtime "Dark Shadows" fan, I'm anticipating the widescreen versions of these cinematic spinoffs from the TV series. In the past few years 40 minutes of cut footage from NODS has been located and there is a movement to get Warners to restore the footage with redubbed dialog (the soundtrack is apparently lost, but all of the surviving actors have shown interest in looping their lines again, plus the music is available for those scenes). I just hope it happens soon.

HONORABLE MENTION- some films that need to be redone as Special Editions:

Breakfast at Tiffany's - One of my alltime faves. I've a framed movie poster in my bedroom, but the DVD disappoints me as there are no extras! Surely a film as beloved like this deserves better: commentary by Blake Edwards, featurettes on Henry Mancini's score, Givenchy's costumes, and the manadtory "behind the scenes" story.

Gone With the Wind - What was Ted Turner thinking? He has called himself the film's biggest fan, and yet he released it on DVD without extras! I have heard that a Special Edition is in the works for Christmas for the 65th Anniverary, so let's hope that the ultimate Hollywood film becomes the ultimate Special Edition DVD! Warners (them again!) should inclued the Turner produced documentary "The Making of a Legend", all of the screen tests for the major roles along with the Technicolor costume tests, sketches made by production designer William Cameron Menzies and costume designer Walter Plunkett, a new introduction by Olivia deHavilland for the Special Edition, interviews with surviving cast members, all existing newsreel footage from the various premieres from 1939 and the 1954, 1961 and 1967 re-releases, footage from the Academy Awards, separate audio tracks for Max Steiner's score, extensive photo galleries from the film and memorabilia related to GWTW- you get the picture. Something to rival the great work New Line has done with the LOTR extended DVDs...

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently, I'm in dignified company :frowning:

Orca
Ice Pirates
Final Option (Who Dares Wins)
Delicatessen (Reg 1)
Blade Runner SE
Eddy Murphy: Raw

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Many but these come to mind:

The Four Feathers (1939)
Reach for the Sky (Region 1)
Grosse Pointe Blank (anamorphic)
Office Space (anamorphic)
Pretty Woman (anamorphic)

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Have to do a top ten instead of five:

1. The African Queen
2. F For Fake
3. The Passenger
4. Duck, You Sucker
5. Serial
6. Night Moves
7. Wise Blood
8. Point Blank
9. Skidoo
10. The Magnificent Ambersons

And my top 10 Frankenheimer:

1. Grand Prix
2. All Fall Down
3. I Walk the Line
4. The Impossible Object
5. 52 Pick-Up
6. The Fixer
7. The Challenge
8. The Fourth War
9. Against the Wall
10. The Burning Season

JerryDean

Auditioning
Blade Runner SE (with theatrical and director’s cut versions
Original Theatrical Star Wars Trilogy
After Hours
Harold Lloyd collection
African Queen
Back To The Future SE Boxed Set

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, there is another film I need to add to my "most wanted" list:

You're A Big Boy Now - this was Francis Ford Coppola's first major studio film, a 1966 Warner release. It's a wonderful 60's time capsule with its Lovin' Spoonful soundtrack, especially "Darling Be Home Soon". Peter Kastner plays a young NY Public Library clerk who is on his own- or so he thinks. His boss is his dad (Rip Torn), and his overprotective mother (Geraldine Page, who was Mrs. Torn in real life) just can't let go. Add Karen Black, Tony Bill, Elizabeth Hartman, Julie Harris, Dolph Sweet, Michael Dunn ("Dr. Loveless" from The Wild, Wild, West), a dog named "Dog", a wooden leg, and a chase scene involving a Gutenberg Bible to the mix, and what emerges is a likeable comedy. Pity Mr. Coppola hasn't done more comedies aside from Peggy Sue Got Married and a portion of New York Stories- this film is just waiting to be rediscovered big time.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
King of the Hill
Up the Creek
Racing With the Moon
Au revoir les enfants
I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Great suggestions! Fun thread. Thanks.

Nice to see Phase IV (the ant movie, not the other one with the same title that was recently released) and Monster Squad and The Rapture mentioned! Those have been on my list for awhile. Discs I'd also like to see (trying not to be redundant or list ones that already have an announced street date) include:
  • The Fearless Vampire Killers (aka. Dance of the Vampires)
  • Hour of the Gun
  • Lost Highway
  • Night of the Comet
  • Microcosmos
  • Orgazmo
  • Project: Metalbeast
  • Return of Dracula
  • Frankenstein Unbound
  • THX 1138
  • Under the Rainbow
  • The Sorcerers (1967)
  • Bush's Brain
OK, so it's not five, but if I had to pick five they would be Fearless Vampire Hunters, Hour of the Gun, Lost Highway, Phase IV and Monster Squad!

Hope you enjoyed the list,

- Bob

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
My immediate needs:

1) "Dawn of the Dead" multi-disc box set from Anchor Bay (after waiting 6 years, everything else is a distant second)
2) 80's horror comedies with kids: "Night of the Comet" and "The Monster Squad" (probably Sony, so we're screwed)
3) any more Spaghetti westerns (Leone, Corbucci, Sollima, Damiani, etc.)
4) more Seijun Suzuki (from Criterion, Home Vision, Media Blasters... whomever)
5) John Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix"

I'll give you time to work on it list:

1) more Sam Peckinpah (ANYTHING!!!)
2) more Luis Bunuel (the shorts, the rest of the French films and some Mexican films PLEASE [prays for "Exterminating Angel"])
3) more Robert Aldrich ("The Last Sunset" and "Sodom and Gamorrah" please)
4) more Lynch ("Fire Walk with Me" Special Edition, "Hotel Room", "Industrial Symphony #1", "Wild at Heart" and a decent Region 1 release of "Lost Highway")
5) more Wes Craven (decent "Chiller" release and "Deadly Blessing")

Never gonna happen list:

1) "Superman II" special edition (with restored Richard Donner version)
2) Alejandro Jodorowsky's "El Topo"
3) Alejandro Jodorowsky's "Holy Mountain"
4) complete, restored director's cut of "Once Upon a Time in America"
5) "Blade Runner" definitive edition (with theatrical, workprint and REAL "director's cut"

gotta love parentheses....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks